Understanding Input Drive and Overdrive

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
Version 10.10 introduces a second drive control for some amp models. I've paraphrased the Fryette Deliverance manual as it explains it very clearly:

Input Drive increases the gain amount as you rotate the knob clockwise. As the gain increases the tone is shifted from a treble and upper mid emphasis, which produces an up front sparkling tone, to a lower mid and bass emphasis, which produces a thick meaty tone.

Overdrive increases the gain amount as you rotate the knob clockwise but with no alteration of the tonal balance. Different combinations of Input Drive and Overdrive settings will have a dramatic effect on the response of the amplifier and the personality of your instrument. It is easy to get familiar with the action of these controls and you’ll be amazed with your ability to make any guitar sound mellow, fat, soulful or aggressive.

Does this mean the Triptik controls are back to the same way as the amp front panel?

i.e. Input Drive = Input Level and Gain = Drive? You mentioned in my other thread that these were actually reversed currently, due to the internal algorithm.

For the Mesa Mark models, I've been using the Input Trim equivalently to the new Overdrive knob. What is the difference between those two parameters? Are they applied at different gain stages?

So as the older firmware only had Drive, which of the new parameters introduced above is like the old Drive? Overdrive?

Or are both new parameters necessary to get the result?

Never mind. Didn't know the firmware was actually released with the Release notes. The answer to my question is Input Drive.

Cool!

For the Mesa Mark models, I've been using the Input Trim equivalently to the new Overdrive knob. What is the difference between those two parameters? Are they applied at different gain stages?

Im going to go out on a limb here and say that they are two different things. One controlling gain and changing tone the other changing input level only.

For Mesa Mark series and Triaxis:
Gain = Input Drive
Drive = Overdrive

For Dumble-style amps:
Preamp Volume = Input Drive
Overdrive Drive = Overdrive

For TripTik
Input Level = Input Drive
Drive = Overdrive

For Fryette Deliverance
Gain1 = Input Drive
Gain2 = Overdrive

Does that mean, if I had a Drive settting of 4 in the Trip-Tik 10.09 model I have to use an Overdrive setting of 4 in 10.10?

As said above and in the release notes, the old "Drive" setting is now the Input Drive parameter.

I asked because my 10.09 Trip-Tik presets sound completely different with 10.10 when I use my old Drive settings with new Overdrive parameter. But I just noticed that I come closer if I set the Drive parameter to the maximum.

I asked because my 10.09 Trip-Tik presets sound completely different with 10.10 when I use my old Drive settings with new Overdrive parameter. But I just noticed that I come closer if I set the Drive parameter to the maximum.

In 10.09 the Triptik's real Input Level was mapped to Drive, and its Drive was mapped to Input Trim.

Source: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...-triptik-match-real-vs-axe-fx.html#post873801

Now in 10.10 Input Level is Input Drive, and the real Drive is now Overdrive.

Last edited:
Hopefully this will help me dial in my "Robbin' Ford" preset. I've really struggled to get the tone/feel I was looking for using input trim and drive. I've been trying to approximate the Two Rock Emerald I liquidated to fund my Ultra back in the day and four years later still haven't quite gotten there.

Im going to go out on a limb here and say that they are two different things. One controlling gain and changing tone the other changing input level only.

I have owned a lot D style amps which basically have Gain (input) and Drive -- so let me try and explain it in terms of tone

If you are going for Sweetness (basically a fairly clean tone with a light stroke but a singing bite when you dig in (think Larry Carlton) you want your input gain (volume) low (lets say in the 9 o'clock range) and your drive to taste (11-1 range)

If you are going for a creamier tone (lets say Santana) you increase the input (vol) past noon -- set drive to taste (1-3 plus range)

Basically the input gain and drive are interactive in shaping the overall tone with a classic stack

With an HRM (D style amps) -- the OD has an independent EQ but functions in the same way

One more thing -- on a D style amp the master volume is just that a master volume. It does not interact with the input gain. In other words in a traditional MV amp the functionality might be to get gain is to increase gain (input) and lower MV - that is not the case in D style amps and tone stacks. I am not sure how this is being handled in 10.10 (will explore tonight) but it would make sense to leave MV at 10 in Axe and use input gain and drive to achieve desired results -- maybe Cliff or someone else can chime in of this one.

Back
Top Bottom