10.09 - trip-tik: are you kidding me ?

Funny how an amp model that arrived with little to no fanfare causes a (at present) 6 page thread singing it's praises. :) It is indeed an amazing sounding amp. Thanks to Alan Phillips, Cliff Chase, and jharpersj for giving us this little jewel!

There is only one cab that I really like the Trip-Tik with so far, it's the 4*12 Cali. But with that cab, it made it immediately my new go-to amp for high gain rhythm guitars. Love it.

Decisions, decisions... to play my real Triptik, or the modelled one?? :D

9139341266_e06e6612e6_c.jpg

Actually, the real Triptik is insanely loud when I am playing at home. The Axe-FX version lets me get that cranked volume without killing all the small mammals in my yard...

Last edited:
The stinging juxtaposition to all of this, I find, is that whilst we're happily [and continually] endowed with all these incredible models, Mr. Chase is loading his abode up with the actual, genuine, honest-to-goodness "real McCoys". Now, I know there's a lot of fervor and panache for the fact that the AF2 is seriously the best thing since sliced bread, and that it's betterer and realerer than the actual amps themselves. But I'd be lying if I didn't say there's some definite "analog envy" happening every time I see a new booteek amp hit our beloved library ;)

Mo

So I wondered something and tried it out. I loaded the TripTik in Amp1 X and the 5150 Block Letter in Amp1 Y to see if I could get the TripTik to get close to the same territory as the 5150 for heavy tones, even if I had to abuse the EQ and Advanced tabs to do it.

Funny enough, I found that even with minimal effort, the TripTik not only went note for note with the 5150 in the brutality department, but even when I pulled out the stops and started really tweaking the 5150 hard too, the TripTik could even maintain a heavier and more brutal sounding tone than the 5150 in the end.

For me, the TripTik just beat arguably the most widely used and loved heavyweight champion of heavy metal amps, the Peavey 5150, at its own game. I still cannot believe it.

The stinging juxtaposition to all of this, I find, is that whilst we're happily [and continually] endowed with all these incredible models, Mr. Chase is loading his abode up with the actual, genuine, honest-to-goodness "real McCoys". Now, I know there's a lot of fervor and panache for the fact that the AF2 is seriously the best thing since sliced bread, and that it's betterer and realerer than the actual amps themselves. But I'd be lying if I didn't say there's some definite "analog envy" happening every time I see a new booteek amp hit our beloved library ;)

Mo

Heh, I look at it this way. In my world, I can either spend 2 grand+ on an Axe-Fx II, or hundreds of grands on the actual amps/pedals/cabs/cables/tubes/power supplies themselves.

Personally I hope Cliff gets so many amps that he can start his own "complete history of tube amps" museum! More for him means more for us, and without that guy, we'd have to spend the same money on getting only two or three at best of the thousands of tones available to us in the Axe-Fx.

Last edited:

Mo

Well, keep in mind that this amp was loaned to him. He does have quite the collection going, but he's also getting amps borrowed to him from many different people. What I would fiendishly love is if somebody sent him a Fortin or one of the few DAR FBM's that actually made it out before everything went to hell.

Mo

It definitely would be fun to spend a day at Cliffs place. Like a kid in a candy store!

Well, keep in mind that this amp was loaned to him. He does have quite the collection going, but he's also getting amps borrowed to him from many different people. What I would fiendishly love is if somebody sent him a Fortin or one of the few DAR FBM's that actually made it out before everything went to hell.

Fortin yes.
DAR, not so much - they're more form than function to my eyes and ears.

The Triptik with Humbuckers sounds good with the new Ownhammer 4 X 12 s and the Basketweave stuff. For a strat, I found the 3 X 10 Vibrato King with the 421 Dyn mic sounded excellent. Never used that mic before.

I also tried the 3x10 vibro mix and to my surprise it sounded kick ass. I mainy use the citrus 412 and that works great with the Triptik. The Cali 412 someone else suggested was way metal and cool. I also tried what another poster mentioned and lowered the gain and cranked the master and that gave me a super cool classic rock vibe. I never use mics but I will have to try a few. Fun and loud night at my house tonight!

The Triptik with Humbuckers sounds good with the new Ownhammer 4 X 12 s and the Basketweave stuff. For a strat, I found the 3 X 10 Vibrato King with the 421 Dyn mic sounded excellent. Never used that mic before.

I think what people like about this amp is the same reason people like the BE/HBE. These amps share the same aggressive low-cut on the input and then add bass back in the power amp. This gives clear bass response without getting flubby.

That is exactly what I like about this and the BE/HBE. Nailed it.

The Triptik, by description, would not have grabbed my attention. I'm more of a vintage amp nut and generally prefer low to mid gain overdrive. This amp model is, in practical use, far more versatile than I expected and very much to my liking as well! Though I've no doubt it works wonderfully for rhythm I got lost for close to two hours today just noodling. It has a 'singing' quality (as someone else already posted) and notes bloom effortlessly into harmonic feedback even at very low volume. This trait alone is enough to win me over for the expressive potential it affords. I'll definitely be working with the Triptik more and I'm very much looking forward to the Classic mode and Clean channel models.

Thanks to Alan, Cliff, & jharpersj for making this one happen - it's a jem! :)

I think what people like about this amp is the same reason people like the BE/HBE. These amps share the same aggressive low-cut on the input and then add bass back in the power amp. This gives clear bass response without getting flubby.

Sounds like an interesting concept... Any chance of a setting in the advanced page to have this available for all amps?

Sounds like an interesting concept... Any chance of a setting in the advanced page to have this available for all amps?
You can do this now using the LOW-CUT FREQ parameter (trims the lows at the input) and the EQ or DEPTH parameters (works at the amp output and power amp, respectively).

Back
Top Bottom