Best/Worst monitors for use with Axe FX

dwmichaels

Inspired
Hoping that we could get this thread stickied for future reference.

After reading some disparaging remarks about my bx5 monitors a recent thread, I thought it might be helpful if folks could post their thoughts/comments about monitors they use and the results they get. It might prove useful for future purchasers who will no doubt ask the very question "which should I buy"? If we can list price range others will have an idea if they are good to go get something inexpensive or if it's worth saving up a bit for a different price range.

FYI - This will be Pandora's box. :devilish:
Compared to top end monitors, of course the BX5's will be disparaged by folks that paid $2500 for a modeler (albeit the best one! ). That doesn't make them bad monitors for their price point.
Besides, "best" is a relative term, and... you inferred "studio" monitors only, and those [for certain] would have be ranked by price range.
If you want live use monitors, then that's another can of worms.
Just sayin'

Hmwell, it's not exactly monitors as such, but for what it's worth, I'm using a pair of Yamaha DXR15's. They're powered PA's, and I -really- like what I get out of them :)
Great sound, and very good flexibility. They can be put on stands, or placed on the floor like wedges. They have multiple inputs with separate volume controls, built in HPF's that can be set to off, 100Hz or 120Hz, and a built in preset EQ for flat response, Main/FOH (bit of boosted bass and highs) or Monitor (bass cut, flat mids and slightly boosted highs).
And they're INSANELY loud of you need them to be :)

In Norway, these cost about 1100 USD apiece, but they're probably alot cheaper over in the states :)

Where are we talking? US or UK? How about Europe? Do we include import duty. tax and distributor mark up?

This would be such a long ass and complicated thread if so. Look through the forums, this has been talked about to death. Search for "FRFR" and "monitors" up here ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Reactions: LAC
FYI - This will be Pandora's box. :devilish:

Just sayin'

^^ THIS ^^

There is no way around this. I have modern 3k monitors and they are considered 'low-end' in some circle ahaha! True and yet not true and still true. Depends on if you talk to a working pro or an internet pro. And then some guys will chime in that their $500 Yamahas are as good as the $4k Barefoots, JBLS or what have you. And in the grand scheme of it all, all of it is valid. None of ti complete. All of it is based on experience, need and understanding how to use the gear you have and whay to choose what you choose. And then of course there is budget.

Pandora is grateful not to have a box this open-ended. Internet forum death.... :D :lol :) :D :p

A better thread would be "Best/worst monitors at different price points for use with Axe FX"

Less than $600 Per Pair
$600 - $1200 Per Pair
More than $1200 Per pair

You can find awesome monitors at any price point, even sub $600.

A better thread would be "Best/worst monitors at different price points for use with Axe FX"

Less than $600 Per Pair
$600 - $1200 Per Pair
More than $1200 Per pair

You can find awesome monitors at any price point, even sub $600.

That would be fine - my only thought is that "search the forum for threads" is a bad solution when you HAVE to run the axe though something. Everybody will have their favorite cabs for any number of reasons, but I figured that when it comes to monitors (whatever kind) then my understanding of that is that they should produce an accurate representation of what's coming out of the Axe (yeah, I know price makes a difference, but that's where everybody's opinions would come into play).

You can research this on the web as well, but again - considering 100% of folks purchasing an Axe will be running it through something, I thought it would be a helpful thread if it was all in one place. It doesn't matter how it's organized, just that it's helpful for new purchasers or folks considering an Axe.

As is the case just about any time you're working with audio, you want something as flat as possible so your recordings and/or performance will translate best across various systems. Your ears can deceive you in evaluating this, so the best way to check this IMO is to look at frequency response curves.

I have really enjoyed my KRK VXT8s. They're relatively flat (response data here: http://www.krksys.com/manuals/vxt/vxt8_datasheet_3_2010.pdf), and a very good price point. Had them for about 6 years, and they're holding up to time and usage just great. Volume is more than you'd ever need as nearfield monitors, but not quite enough to play along with a drummer (if your recording room doubles as a practice room) unless he plays pretty quiet.

Where are we talking? US or UK? How about Europe? Do we include import duty. tax and distributor mark up?

This would be such a long ass and complicated thread if so. Look through the forums, this has been talked about to death. Search for "FRFR" and "monitors" up here ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The whole point would be to NOT have to look through the forums. If it's in a previous thread - then sticky that. That's the request I'm making. Cranking up a new one just seemed simpler. It wouldn't matter what we're talking about - and you can include whatever you like in terms of product/price. Again, it's for the benefit of someone else. So, if you paid $3k for a set of monitors and the import duty of $500. Were they worth it? Your report/review/opinion might save someone else - especially if several folks come in with the same opinion about the monitors/speakers/whatever.

I'm using Mackie TH-15A powered PA speakers. I haven't used anything else (although I should get to hear a CLR this weekend), so I don't know how they compare to high dollar stuff. I had to tweak the onboard EQ a little to get them close to flat and am very happy with them. I think they are a great inexpensive solution and the way I see it, people are going to hear me through some random PA speakers anyway, so I'm not going to get all fired up about spending thousands of dollars on the perfect monitors that only I will ever hear anyway. I use IEMs when I play live. YMMV. :)

After reading some disparaging remarks about my bx5 monitors a recent thread, I thought it might be helpful if folks could post their thoughts/comments about monitors they use and the results they get.

Having read that other thread, the answer is that you will find many of the issues you had with the bx5 monitors with any monitors, even $3000+. Instead, sounds like you'd be happiest plugging into a neutral amp and cabinet combo.

Comparing an amp in the room to the axe fx will show a big difference. Regardless of the amp, or how nice your monitors are. They're two different animals. It's like having Pavarotti serenade you at dinner, versus talking to him on cell via speakerphone.

I rented a Yorkville NX55P Yorkville this week to try out, and so far (at home) I have been very pleased because it reproduces what I hear while tweaking with my headphones (Samson SR850's) exactly. I am using a IR of my 1981 Marshall JCM800 Lead Series Cab with original celestion g12-65's in it. The real test will be how well it cuts through at band rehearsal this weekend vs my rhythm guitarists JCM2000 DSL and 1960 cab.

So everyone will hype their own speakers without a scientific analysis. Makes no sense.

There should be spectrum charts for speakers somewhere. At least for headphones there is and the worlds flattest headphones are Sennheiser HD800 and Beyerdynamic DT880. I use the Beyerdynamics and trust them.

Back
Top Bottom