Should I wait...?

Rootwitch

I'm relatively new to Fractal Audio Systems, and not sure what their release history has been like - I'm interested in the FX II, but, as it's been out for some time, I suspect an FX III would be right around the corner...? So... kinda like buying Apple products... Should I buy now (well, probably next month), or should I wait?

I believe they might be working on a Lower end unit, Maybe a Floor Controller all in one unit to compete with lower priced units.
Maybe a cheaper version that they could get into the Retail Market with...???
But the Axe II is so spot on with the Models of the Amps, you would definitely not be disappointed with an AxeII, if you wait for a AxeIII you could be waiting a long time.

I have a hard time believing that there will be a significant hardware upgrade to the current model since they have achieved so much with MIMIC and FW10. Frankly, I'm not sure more horsepower is needed at this point (shhhh, I don't want Cliff to hear that necessarily). I think future development will be as discussed above and hopefully continued improvement of software interface and possibly DAW integration/plugins.

That was my point ;)
Have had mine well over a year and still haven't even scratched the surface.
I can't imagine what you'd ever need to do tone-wise that you couldn't do with a II + FW10.
The cleans / crunches / heavy and everything inbetween are stellar.
Fantastic delays / wah + reverbs too.
As with anything try before you buy - plenty of videos + .mp3's floating around.

Sorry - MIMIC? FW10?

MIMIC - Axe-Fx II Wiki

Check out the latest release notes and/or all the forum traffic related to the most recent (and most significant) firmware updates. While the AxeII and its predecessors have always been the best modelers by far, with the new firmware they have achieved the closest "real amp/cab" tone and behavior from any music technology product on the market today. This is not hyperbole, it's the real deal.

I believe they might be working on a Lower end unit, Maybe a Floor Controller all in one unit to compete with lower priced units.
Maybe a cheaper version that they could get into the Retail Market with...???

Gee, I sure hope not. Perceived value of the current models will plummet. I think a floor model would be excellent, but which corners could be cut in order to make it 'lower priced' and still retain its depth? If anything an all in one floor model could be cheaper than the MFC and AXE II combined, but still at least be as retail priced as the AXE II. Anything 'cheaper' will have to be cheaper. That image will be blanketed on all Fractal products. Obviously sales are what keep a company in business, though seeing the Kemper as an example discounted on multiple big box stores feels cheap to me. Perception is important. I can imagine Fractal wanting to sell more units, but I can't imagine a company like Fractal wanting to make 30-40% less per unit sold simply to expand the business. If these had been designed to be sold 'retail' to begin with, that would be something else perhaps. Just an opinion. Cheers.

Get a 2, no question. I concur with the others that you'll most likely see an all-in-one floor unit and/or an effects-only unit before a III ships. Honestly, at this point the AxeFX 2 is pretty much "there" as far as amp modeling. If Fractal never released another product I'd be content with my AxeFX 2 moving forward.

The 2 is in stock and ready to ship to your door. Fortune favors the bold....get a 2.

Hard to know. Cliff isn't going to tell us (for obvious reasons) what he's working on next.

I waited to buy until the II came out because it seemed to me that a gen 2 product would appear at some point. The gen 1 unit was running out of horsepower & memory and had no USB interface, so it seemed like a good bet to wait for the II.

I'm not as clear about a gen 3 product. We're not quite 2 years into the Axe-FX II. The original product(s) were around for about 4 years, IIRC. My guess is that it's too soon for a gen 3 replacement for the rack mount Axe-FX II, but that's just my specualtion. And I hate speculations. :lol

Thanks for the responses. I'm sure my impulsive tendencies will have me ordering one shortly... LOL.

Yes, they will. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated! *bleep*

On a more serious note, the Axe is the single best purchase I've ever made for my guitar setup, and that's coming from a pretty decent rig I've built through the years that I was very happy with. In terms of sheer flexibility it's unbeatable, and the quality of the sims and effects are so good you couldn't tell it from the real thing ;)

And best of all, I can get the sounds I love at any volume, so I don't have to worry about neighbours complaining or the paint coming off my walls :D

So yeah.... Get it when you can, I see no point in waiting around!

Fractal is not Apple, the Axe-Fx not a consumer product with consumer (short) life-cycle. you can wait, but this will be the longest wait in your live, i suspect ;) . Cliff stated in an interview last year, that the axe-fx is a longtime platform. I give it at least two more years, till we`ll see a Axe-III on the horizon ...

Last edited:
You should not wait. By Cliff's own admission, the II was engineered with plenty of room for expansion. I take that to mean, the amps and effects can become more and more complex, as he learns and makes new personal discoveries, to add realism to the unit's performance and take more advantage of the headroom in the processors. MIMIC is one such epiphany.

The thing the AXE III could take advantage of would be the advances in computer processors and miniaturization of memory and parts, that have undoubtedly already occurred and will certain widen the gap between the II and the III by the time it's time to release an Axe III. I would've liked there to be 2 effects loops so I could to a pre and post amp insertion of other gear in the same preset. And I would have wished that the FX loop did not subtract from the CPU usage on the effects side. Other than that one really selfish wish, the Axe II is perfect.

But if you buy an Axe II now, and an Axe III comes out in 2 years, your Axe II will still be earth-shatteringly awesome. I think it will be at least 2 years before we see a next gen. I would feel worse for a guy that buys a II because that's the only thing available, and then see an announcement about the III a week later, and see the prices of the in-stock II's drastically reduced. Those are the losers here. But you, with possibly 2-3 more years of industry leading sonic and performance supremacy should not wait any longer.

PS - Guys, if Adam's dog gets a T-shirt, I frickin' want one too.

I went and played some amps today at a music store. A Dr Z, AC30 HW and a Marshall 410. I am glad I did not wait. I would hate to go back and try to pick one good amp when I have most all of them in the Axe.

Any piece of modern technology purchased today will eventually become a poor economic decision. These devices, while incredibly valuable now, and capable of providing to you a franchise of tonal variety will absolutely be rendered substandard by the devices sold tomorrow.

The question must be, would you enjoy the ownership of an Axe FX II right now? And would you enjoy that enough to justify the money spent?

In 10 years you will not be using the Axe FX II, you will instead be using the Axe FX V, or some other newer version product made by one of an endless amount of other companies.

Any piece of modern technology purchased today will eventually become a poor economic decision. These devices, while incredibly valuable now, and capable of providing to you a franchise of tonal variety will absolutely be rendered substandard by the devices sold tomorrow.

The question must be, would you enjoy the ownership of an Axe FX II right now? And would you enjoy that enough to justify the money spent?

In 10 years you will not be using the Axe FX II, you will instead be using the Axe FX V, or some other newer version product made by one of an endless amount of other companies.

Yeah Really! Probably won't even have to use your hands to play your guitar! Or Just strike a note and the progression will finish on it's own!:)!

Back
Top Bottom