"Crash" sound/distortion on attack

AdmiralB

Inspired
I'm finding that most clean patches exhibit a kind of "crashing" sound on initial attack. It only happens with single-coils or other very low output pickups (Filter 'trons, too), and only when the note is picked or plucked pretty hard.

Most all factory clean patches seem to do it; Fender (Double Verb example here) and Vox worst, and it's magnified a LOT if the setting is on the edge of/includes a little breakup (sample here). Oddly, the Shiva clean, for example, doesn't seem to do it.

It seems to be in the power amp part of the sim. If I turn power amp modeling off, it goes away. The only other way I've found to eliminate it is to go pretty far CCW on transformer match (about 9:00). Reducing treble reduces the effect, but only somewhat.

Doesn't seem to matter which firmware - getting it with 9.02, 10.02, and 10.05. Does it regardless of source of patch, factory or otherwise.

None of my other modelers do this, nor do my "real" Fender and Vox amps.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
I haven't heard it with my clean patches. Have you tried other guitars, cables... etc? Does it do this when using phones?

Doesn't matter which guitar (as long as it's single-coil or similar), wireless or cabled, etc.

I don't see how headphones would matter, since it obviously records, but yes, it's on all outputs.

What is your input trim in the I/O set to? How many lights light up on the front panel input meters when you get that crash sound?

Sounds like the input is clipping.

@AdmiralB: I've had this issue as well (with the Ultra it was horrible), but it has been better with each FW on the 2. Just like you point out it is there with SC's and mostly clean sounds (gain on distortion covers it...). One component in this is lowering the Bright Cap a lot; it seems like there is some sort of treble overload going on...

Exactly same thing on Ultra, turning down volume knob and tone helps... i was blaming my Suhr... but now i`m in doubt......

I take it you've tried multiple guitars with single coils too? Jst to rule out a guitar fault?

About 20%...as I said. If it doesn't do it with a Super Distortion, why would stock Strat pickups?

Sorry, didn't see where you said 20% before that.

Wow that is very strange! At 20% I'd think you would be getting a very low signal with single coils. Some people can't get enough input with it at 100%!

I'm still curious where your input lights get to with the single coils and 20%. Have you tried turning the input trim up?

Maybe the low level is making the input hardware compensate and try to compress it or something?

Try turning the input trim up as a test, maybe to 50-80% and see if that crash sound is still there.

Sounds like "treble clipping". Are you boosting the highs a lot, combined with increased Drive settings?
Post the preset please.

I get the same thing with my Standard Strat. Seems to go away or is much less noticible when I reset Amp block settings (double click "Bypass" button).

Any patch (containing an amp that does it) will do it if it's set bright enough. Take the stock "Double Verb" preset, turn the bright switch on, and it'll do it. With very low (like 1.5) drive.

Build a new patch. Add Double Verb and a cab. Turn the treble up and turn bright on. There you go.

Which presets do you use? Because Double Verb has Bright ON by default.

BTW, I can't imagine using single coils with a Twin with Bright ON ánd increased Treble ...
Are you using a very dark cab?

I'm not at a place now where I can try things, will be in a few hours

But now you're heading towards "why would you want to do that" territory. Does it matter?

Something in the power amp can't handle large amounts of treble. I want to know how to fix it.

Back
Top Bottom