problems with factory presets

Hi, guys I managed to update my FW to ver 10.02 using the Axe Edit but i dun seem to be able to update all my banks and also tried STEM Clean file. All i see on the AFXII unit in the Utility's Firmware Update tab is "Awaiting Update FW" On the Axe Edit side of things i can see that it is sending out by the running status meter right up to completion and i also see the MIDI in indicator on AFXII lighting up but all i see on the screen is "Awaiting Update FW" I've tried updating the Banks and using the STEM Clean files within the Utility's Firmaware Update Tab and outside of the Utility window but no success. Perhaps i'm doing something unusually wrong. Can someone please explain to me how you resolved this similar issue or correct me on the procedure please? Tanx in advance for the responses.

Use the new Fractal Bot. Faster and likely more reliable.

Thanks for the response deathsilver but i did try the latest Fractal Bot and MIDI OX and Axe Edit but i don't understand why it's not working. I came across another thread of similar discussions where someone mentioned that he saw running status indicator (perhaps on the AFXII unit) showing number of presets transferring. Is this what you guys see when you do a successful Bank Transfer?

Thanks for the response deathsilver but i did try the latest Fractal Bot and MIDI OX and Axe Edit but i don't understand why it's not working. I came across another thread of similar discussions where someone mentioned that he saw running status indicator (perhaps on the AFXII unit) showing number of presets transferring. Is this what you guys see when you do a successful Bank Transfer?

You see a progress bar on Fractal-Bot or other software but not on the unit itself when you update banks. The MIDI in light on the unit should blink though. Hope this answers your question. Do test if it presets updated you can rename one and see if it gets overwritten.

Hi, guys I managed to update my FW to ver 10.02 using the Axe Edit but i dun seem to be able to update all my banks and also tried STEM Clean file. All i see on the AFXII unit in the Utility's Firmware Update tab is "Awaiting Update FW" On the Axe Edit side of things i can see that it is sending out by the running status meter right up to completion and i also see the MIDI in indicator on AFXII lighting up but all i see on the screen is I've tried updating the Banks and using the STEM Clean files within the Utility's Firmaware Update Tab and outside of the Utility window but no success. Perhaps i'm doing something unusually wrong. Can someone please explain to me how you resolved this similar issue or correct me on the procedure please? Tanx in advance for the responses.
Had the same experience, "Awaiting Update FW", I don't know if it actually happened. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...........

Had the same experience, "Awaiting Update FW", I don't know if it actually happened. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...........

You don't need to set the AxeFX2 in FW update mode if you use Fractal Bot. It will change automatically to update mode for FW updates only and on the display of the AxeFX2 you will see update progress. For preset banks, it will not display that message and all you see is the MIDI in light blink. I think this is normal.

Hello ,does anyone know if fractal bot work in a diferent mac software apart from mac osx 10.7.4?? My mac is Mac osx 10.6.8 and i don't find any firmware update for it and i'm afraid to update to snow leopard or any other one . ????

You see a progress bar on Fractal-Bot or other software but not on the unit itself when you update banks. The MIDI in light on the unit should blink though. Hope this answers your question. Do test if it presets updated you can rename one and see if it gets overwritten.

Thanks again deathsilver. I tried again this time with Axe Edit and did what you suggested which is to rename the patch name of each of the first patches in Bank A (Patch 000), B(Patch 128) and C(Patch 256) and paid closer attention to what happens after attempting the update of each bank using Axe Edit and noticed that the MIDI In indicator would light up during the transfer process and stop lighting up when the AXE Edit indicates "Firmware Transmission Complete" YES i did notice that the patch names do change! Thanks! :)

Still would really like to hear a clip of what this patch should sound like. I'm beginning to think all of this was a lot of placebo.

Is someone going to chime in and finally explain to us what the hell a system clean sysex file does?

Cliff: "It overwrites your system bank. This will set all system parameters to default values and erase user cabs 1-50."
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/68454-fw10-system-clean-syx.html#post840955

So it resets the Global and I/O params, just like the Reset command in Utility.
But it also clears user cabs 1-50. And overwrites all global block data.

Installed firmware is unaffected.

So if you upload the clean system bank and delete all presets, you've got yourself a 'virgin' Axe-Fx.

Last edited:
Still would really like to hear a clip of what this patch should sound like. I'm beginning to think all of this was a lot of placebo.

Although it is quite obvious that certain users have real problems with updating the v.10 factory preset, there is clearly also some "placebo" -effect involved. This particular Badger-preset (modeled with the full power scaling?) seems to bit quite sensitive one for the guitar used and even for playing technique, guitar with stronger pickups will drive this preset to tone un-nirvana. As with many others, in my case also this preset sounds like ass by default and also after resetting the setting and tweaking the same parameters back, it sounds the same. So I think at least in my case everything is working as planned, some factory presets just needs some extra tweaking to suit different equipment, tastes etc. Well, maybe this has been originally setup way over the top :)

I would think that this case actually compliments nicely the work, which Cliff has done with the v10. Now every piece in signal chain has big impact, which just need to be taken in account, when tweaking the factory presets or making them from the scratch.

Can someone provide the link to firmware 9 then to check out the Placebo??? lol, i'm having the same bad experience after i upgrade and i need to play tomorrow with axe II :(

If the preset sounds like crap shouldn't you tweak it so it sounds good to you ? ,then if you can't get it to sound good then you might have an issue?

Can someone provide the link to firmware 9 then to check out the Placebo??? lol, i'm having the same bad experience after i upgrade and i need to play tomorrow with axe II :(
All things Fractal can be found in the link at the bottom of my sig.

Back
Top Bottom