problems with factory presets

Installed fractal bot 1.1 clean update of fw10 then 10.02 then all presets. Seems to have done the job.

That petrucci rhythm preset is amazing.

Interesting, had the same issue as OP too and didn't know it.. Don't play too much with factory presets and ones I had setup on my own were decent and was happy with them. Tried first just to push back factory presets via new fractalbot, tone changed but not in a good way (ouch). Then did reset, and pushed clean file, firmware and presets back again with new fractalbot and golden now. I had originally pushed the presets with axe-edit so would seem it could be a contributor as others have suggested.

Thank god! I thought I was the only one having this problem... I've spent the better part of this week futzing with the presets to get them to sound better when they all sound very much like the OP's example. Too much low end on everything. I was able to get some presets to sound "ok", but not great. A buddy of mine was practically salivating at the prospects of recording with my Axe2, but when he finally heard it (with the problems described in the OP) he handed it back to me disappointed and said, "steep learning curve..." and decided against it.

I'm auditioning for the guitar spot in a new band this weekend. They require their guitarists to go all digital. Rather than spending more time learning the music, I've spent hours and hours tweeking my axe, desperately trying to cope with the problems above. I hope to god this fixes them... *nervous laughter* ...

EDIT: Nope. Updated FW10.02 via FractalBot. Reset. Redownloaded FW10 presets, uploaded All_Banks.sysx via FractalBot. No change. I mean, is it supposed to sound like this?

https://soundcloud.com/jazzmac251/suhr-badger-18

Sounds like a wet blanket has been thrown over the speakers...

Last edited:
Thank god! I thought I was the only one having this problem... I've spent the better part of this week futzing with the presets to get them to sound better when they all sound very much like the OP's example. Too much low end on everything. I was able to get some presets to sound "ok", but not great. A buddy of mine was practically salivating at the prospects of recording with my Axe2, but when he finally heard it (with the problems described in the OP) he handed it back to me disappointed and said, "steep learning curve..." and decided against it.

I'm auditioning for the guitar spot in a new band this weekend. They require their guitarists to go all digital. Rather than spending more time learning the music, I've spent hours and hours tweeking my axe, desperately trying to cope with the problems above. I hope to god this fixes them... *nervous laughter* ...

EDIT: Nope. Updated FW10.02 via FractalBot. Reset. Redownloaded FW10 presets, uploaded All_Banks.sysx via FractalBot. No change. I mean, is it supposed to sound like this?

https://soundcloud.com/jazzmac251/suhr-badger-18

Sounds like a wet blanket has been thrown over the speakers...

Seems you did not upload the FW10-SYSTEM-CLEAN backup file. See link in my previous post. Do this before and after the FW10.02 update (I did it before and after, not sure which one did the trick). That worked for me.

OK, installed the new Fractal-bot. Did a FW10.02 update with it. Power cycle the axe FX2. Used Fractal-Bot and uploaded FW10-System-Clean. Power cycle the Axe-FX2. Updated FW10.02 again using Fractal-Bot. Power cycle Axe-FX2. Update all presets using Fractal-Bot. Power cycle Axe-FX2 again. Here's what I noticed:

-Overall sounds better.
-No clipping.
-Volume in headphones much louder.
-Effects much more pronouced.
-All presets sound much more different from one another than they used to until I did all this.

I have no idea why. It's a mystery but the above worked for me.

Feedback or ideas appreciated!

This post says you did a FW10 update before/after the System-Clean, but in your previous post you say you did a System-Clean on either side of your FW10 update. ?

I'm going to try the process described above again. If I'm still getting flubby presets, I'm going to try installing FW9. Anyone know where I could get my hands on FW9 and the accompanying presets?

This post says you did a FW10 update before/after the System-Clean, but in your previous post you say you did a System-Clean on either side of your FW10 update. ?

My bad, very sorry about this. My original post was correct: installed the new Fractal-bot. Did a FW10.02 update with it. Power cycle the axe FX2. Used Fractal-Bot and uploaded FW10-System-Clean. Power cycle the Axe-FX2. Updated FW10.02 again using Fractal-Bot. Power cycle Axe-FX2. Update all presets using Fractal-Bot. Power cycle Axe-FX2 again.

Could someone upload a clip of how this preset is supposed to sound? A comparison would be very helpful. Preferably with all FX bypassed - just amp/cab.

if its only this preset that sound bad you probably dont have the problem i had, it was on all presets, with a weird distorted bass even on the first clean fender presets etc,

this badger 68 was just the worst one, and even now when i think its working for me its the preset i like the least of all in the factory ones, i actually think it should be removed or totally reworked because it does not represent a real badger amp at all

if its only this preset that sound bad you probably dont have the problem i had, it was on all presets, with a weird distorted bass even on the first clean fender presets etc,

this badger 68 was just the worst one, and even now when i think its working for me its the preset i like the least of all in the factory ones, i actually think it should be removed or totally reworked because it does not represent a real badger amp at all

Yeah. This is exactly the problem I was having. I was getting weird undertones on the Fender Twin preset on my neck pickup with the volume rolled back.

I went through the method described above. The Suhr Badger 18 preset still sounds like this:

https://soundcloud.com/jazzmac251/suhr-badger-preset

It's like you can tell there's good tone in there, it's just obscured by an overwhelming amount of bass. The bass knob is actually rolled back a bit, too. Every time I'm on the E string the tail end of the notes completely far out. It almost sounds like there's a Fuzz pedal on, but everything is bypassed but the amp and cab sims. In case you're wondering about the guitar. It's a Swamp Ash Suhr Classic with a Duncan JB in the bridge.

I assume it's supposed to sound like this?

Suhr Badger amplifier - YouTube

My Trainwreck (Wrecker) preset sounds like this, though:
https://soundcloud.com/jazzmac251/trainwreck

So maybe the reset process worked after all, it's just the Badger preset that leaves something to be desired. I'm not getting undertones on Maj7 voicings on the Twin patch anymore. That's progress.

Cliff or someone from the FAS team, could you please chime in and tell us if it's theoretically possible that reinstalling the fw, system, and patches yields a different sound?

Hi, guys I managed to update my FW to ver 10.02 using the Axe Edit but i dun seem to be able to update all my banks and also tried STEM Clean file. All i see on the AFXII unit in the Utility's Firmware Update tab is "Awaiting Update FW" On the Axe Edit side of things i can see that it is sending out by the running status meter right up to completion and i also see the MIDI in indicator on AFXII lighting up but all i see on the screen is "Awaiting Update FW" I've tried updating the Banks and using the STEM Clean files within the Utility's Firmaware Update Tab and outside of the Utility window but no success. Perhaps i'm doing something unusually wrong. Can someone please explain to me how you resolved this similar issue or correct me on the procedure please? Tanx in advance for the responses.

Back
Top Bottom