V10 TEST / 1 AMP BLOCK HI RES vs 2 AMP BLOCKS LOW RES

unFILTERed

Power User
Hi People,

I did a small test, looped a riff and some lines with a clean amp. i had just one amp block in the preset, so the amp block was running hi res.
started the loop and recorded it with cubase.

than i added another amp block. so this time the amp block was running low res. and i started the loop again and recorded the same rif - line to another track in cubase.

after this i did the whole process again, this time with hi gain sound. than i put frequency analyyer on both tracks (blue cats freq analyst multi) which compares both tracks. i couldnt hear any differences and the results of frequency analyzer was also identical.

some people say there is audible difference between having one amp or two amp blocks in a preset...am i getting something wrong about this 2 amp block, alising, hi res - low res story...

cos i cant hear any differences, plus my computer says also they are just the same.

peace,

semih

Play the 2 tracks together, only flip the phase on one of them. If they are identical & lined up exactly the same, they should cancel each other out.

I don't hear a difference either but some claim they can. A single amp block runs the amp simulation at 16x oversampling. Two amp blocks run each simulation at 8x.

one track has peak at -12 DB. when i play them together (one track phase inverted) the output goes down to -32 DB...so i think we can say they cancel each other.

Play the 2 tracks together, only flip the phase on one of them. If they are identical & lined up exactly the same, they should cancel each other out.

Last edited:
Reactions: yek
would be great if some one tells me about the difference they hear...the result of this test says me it must be impossible to here a difference.

I don't hear a difference either but some claim they can. A single amp block runs the amp simulation at 16x oversampling. Two amp blocks run each simulation at 8x.

man -20 DB !!! and i wrote, the freq anlzyer even wont detect any difference....maybe in some frequencies minus - plus 0.1 db.
in this case, how should we be able to hear a difference...do u hear a difference when you play with 2 amp blocks instead of 1 ?

If they truly cancel out, you should hear nothing.

It's important to note that before Fractal mentioned this little thing the first time, nobody had said anything about 2 amp sound quality. If someone says there is a difference, even if it does absolutely nothing for the sound, there is always someone who will claim that they can hear it.

I just did a quick looper test recorded into reaper. I removed the cabinet to avoid having it "roll off the difference."

I painstakingly aligned the waveforms at multiple locations throughout the track after normalizing the two items with "common gain". With both tracks playing in phase, I get -3db peaks. With one track playing, I get -9db peaks. With both tracks playing and one inverted, I get -25db peaks. This is consistent with what the op posted.

You can still hear something even at -25db and its not uniformly reduced from either track, so there is a difference but it sure is small.

I can't hear the difference switching back and forth. I've never tried this before because I wanted the best quality but I can't hear a difference in real life through the CLR with no cabinet sim. I think its safe to use two amps in my patches.

I am obviously an amateur at these matters and claim nothing about accuracy or fitness of this test.

There is a slight difference under 60 Hz and above 8.4 KHz...the preset with one amp block is blove and above the given freqs around 1,5 DB louder. These freqs peak around -60 Db.

Back
Top Bottom