Atomic Active Cab vs. Matrix Q12a

Status
Not open for further replies.

budda007

Inspired
With these two active cab. Will I get the same results for FRFR? Is one different than the other?

thanks in advance

I would like to know this too! Atomic inbuilt amp seems to have a few more features, but the Matrix one seems a lot lighter. If I recall correctly, 16kg vs 24kg!

Reactions: Ole
I have both, but I've only had the CLR for a week and I'm gigging with it for the first time tomorrow night. At practice volumes, I haven't found there to be a huge difference, and I'm very comfortable moving the Axe from one to the other without fear that I have to rework my patches. I do not hear nearly the difference that LVC did in his review that is referenced above. I'm wondering if the difference he's hearing is the GT1000 and not the cab.

On the non-sound features, both have their advantages IMO. The Atomic is MUCH heavier and larger. However, it has two inputs, each with a gain control and it has the preset switch (which I haven't really experimented with yet). On the other hand, the Q12a is cool in that it can be active or passive, so if I do get a GT1000, the amp in the Q12a becomes a very inexpensive and convenient backup should I have problem with the GT.

After I use it live tomorrow, I'll post an update if my opinion changes, but right now I'd say they are both fantastic options and there's no bad choice here. I'd also suggest, which is contrary to what others have posted, that if you buy one and you are not happy with it, I don't think purchasing the other is going to be a miracle cure for you. I think your unhappiness is probably more about you not liking FRFR or not having your presets tweaked to work with FRFR. For what it's worth...

Great review Jim. Thanks Man. If there is anything else you can think of to share we would appreciate it! High gain sounds, sound good through both cabinets? You don't hear a boomy cabinet in the CLR?

In regards to the CLR... The back of either the cab or wedge: Can you open up the cabinet and put some insulation in it to help with the boomy sound?

I need the CLR to work for me since I play keyboards and guitar and could really use the two inputs.

In regards to the CLR... The back of either the cab or wedge: Can you open up the cabinet and put some insulation in it to help with the boomy sound?

I need the CLR to work for me since I play keyboards and guitar and could really use the two inputs.

I am fascinated by the 'boomy' thing; my firsthand experience in rooms and on gigs of all sizes have shown me - beyond any doubt whatsoever - that there is no low end bump or hype. I have found the CLR exceptionally - to a fault - linear in response. Linear means the OP is either hyping the bottom with his input device or his room is creating bass nodes.

It's not even subjective; it's objectively measurable... there is no 'boomy' from the CLR. IMHO, that puts the first review in this thread frankly in suspect trustworthiness. Everything is relative and everyone has a right to their opinion. But something is either wrong with Laz's setup/presets/gear or something else is going on. I've extensively and thoroughly run the CLR through a whole slew of tests and used it on more than a few gigs in very different circumstances. I am not talking out of my ass.

I'd love to review - fairly and objectively - the Matrix; but I have not done so. I cannot and will not comment on it until I do.

It does appear that the back can be opened, but I agree with Scott on this. I'm getting ZERO boominess.

Appreciate your comments but nothing from interface to guitar was hyping the bass or changed.

As a matter of fact --- the only thing that that got me from a boom box to normal was replacing the cab and amp.

room - the same
guitar - the same
Presets - the same
Player - the same
Amp Position/height - the same
tunes - the same

again -- I do not play, listen to modern rock, metal etc. It is not my thing. I made it very clear at the beginning that the review was from my perspective with respect to the music I play and listen to.

I also said that the CLR sounded great with over driven tones (which typically you tune into the type of overdrive you like - I do). Also I am not looking to make or create my own sound. You have stated over and over again in your reviews and videos that you use the axe-fx to create your own sound.

I don't.

I want my Axe-Fx to sound like the amp I am playing through -- in my case clean -- I mean clean fender type amps. that is my environment.

I am not into Shivas, Bogners etc etc etc -- just not my thing. I am not into mixing IRs and creating special recipes etc ... again it is not my thing. I don't want to spend time at home or at clubs tweaking EQs etc -.05 db here ... +.7 over there ... For me that is nuts. Not going to happen.

I am nothing more than a plug and play meat and potatoes weekend club player.

Effects is another story and I have a whole strategy for that to capture some of the nuances of the tunes I cover.

So from a player and musical sensibility perspective you are comparing your approach to music engineering (your own voice and tone) to mine -- which is default clean amps with minimal tweaks (like you would do with a real amp).

I am sure in the hands of an experienced engineer you can make anything sound great and achieve the results you want -- my point is why?

I know what I want -- if I can get it out of the box -- I am there. If I have to bust my ass and spend countless hours to get it ... I move on. Just not worth the effort in my book. I have better things to do with my spare time -- like play music.

One more thing ---

Your comment of about reviewing "fairly and objectively" implies that I am not being fair or objective. Let me use your favorite phrase ... " I have no dog in this hunt".

I had every intention of keeping the CLR -- as a matter of fact I even ordered a custom cover from studio slips for it which I should be receiving any day now. (If anybody needs one let me know :mrgreen)

I am fascinated by the 'boomy' thing; my firsthand experience in rooms and on gigs of all sizes have shown me - beyond any doubt whatsoever - that there is no low end bump or hype. I have found the CLR exceptionally - to a fault - linear in response. Linear means the OP is either hyping the bottom with his input device or his room is creating bass nodes.

It's not even subjective; it's objectively measurable... there is no 'boomy' from the CLR. IMHO, that puts the first review in this thread frankly in suspect trustworthiness. Everything is relative and everyone has a right to their opinion. But something is either wrong with Laz's setup/presets/gear or something else is going on. I've extensively and thoroughly run the CLR through a whole slew of tests and used it on more than a few gigs in very different circumstances. I am not talking out of my ass.

I'd love to review - fairly and objectively - the Matrix; but I have not done so. I cannot and will not comment on it until I do.

Last edited:
Atomic claims the CLR cab and wedge sound exactly the same. Is this also true of the Matrix Q12 (passive cab) vs CFR12 (passive wedge)? Is it the same drivers?

Atomic claims the CLR cab and wedge sound exactly the same. Is this also true of the Matrix Q12 (passive cab) vs CFR12 (passive wedge)? Is it the same drivers?

Hi there,
It is the same driver used in both, though the internal volume of the Q12 is slightly higher than the volume within the CFR12.
Best regards
Matt

Or maybe he just likes the Matrix better then the Atomic.
To say that that would make him or his rewiew untrustworthy is IMHO a bit harsh.

Appreciate your comments but nothing from interface to guitar was hyping the bass or changed.

As a matter of fact --- the only thing that that got me from a boom box to normal was replacing the cab and amp.

room - the same
guitar - the same
Presets - the same
Player - the same
Amp Position/height - the same
tunes - the same

again -- I do not play, listen to modern rock, metal etc. It is not my thing. I made it very clear at the beginning that the review was from my perspective with respect to the music I play and listen to.

I also said that the CLR sounded great with over driven tones (which typically you tune into the type of overdrive you like - I do). Also I am not looking to make or create my own sound. You have stated over and over again in your reviews and videos that you use the axe-fx to create your own sound.

I don't.

I want my Axe-Fx to sound like the amp I am playing through -- in my case clean -- I mean clean fender type amps. that is my environment.

I am not into Shivas, Bogners etc etc etc -- just not my thing. I am not into mixing IRs and creating special recipes etc ... again it is not my thing. I don't want to spend time at home or at clubs tweaking EQs etc -.05 db here ... +.7 over there ... For me that is nuts. Not going to happen.

I am nothing more than a plug and play meat and potatoes weekend club player.

Effects is another story and I have a whole strategy for that to capture some of the nuances of the tunes I cover.

So from a player and musical sensibility perspective you are comparing your approach to music engineering (your own voice and tone) to mine -- which is default clean amps with minimal tweaks (like you would do with a real amp).

I am sure in the hands of an experienced engineer you can make anything sound great and achieve the results you want -- my point is why?

I know what I want -- if I can get it out of the box -- I am there. If I have to bust my ass and spend countless hours to get it ... I move on. Just not worth the effort in my book. I have better things to do with my spare time -- like play music.

One more thing ---

Your comment of about reviewing "fairly and objectively" implies that I am not being fair or objective. Let me use your favorite phrase ... " I have no dog in this hunt".

I had every intention of keeping the CLR -- as a matter of fact I even ordered a custom cover from studio slips for it which I should be receiving any day now. (If anybody needs one let me know :mrgreen)

Laz, I know you through years of your Internet persona. We've often disagreed on many things. You've been very critical of my opinions more than once over the years. At some point, that might actually account for different taste, expectations experience and needs. That's fine. But if you give it, you might get it back. This is nothing more than me speaking from another perspective about something I have a lot of first hand knowledge about. I have no issue with your preference of one product over another. I am not insinuating anything other than disagreeing with your characterization of the CLR as "boomy". That's becoming the 'meme' for criticism of the CLR from Matrix owners, yours is not the first time I've read this. I find the coincident use of this specific term suspect. It isn't subjective; it is measurable. Opinion is fine; reality is the CLR - for better or worse - is linear in response to a fault. You can measure and graph it for yourself. There's no hump or emphasis on the low end that would even begin to account for what you are describing. So no, sorry, I'm not buying it. Sorry. I disagree and it's measurable, not just opinion.

This changes everything! aaah what am I saying, I can't afford any of them yet anyways. but I'm still changing back and forth between the two, for when I get the moneyisziehs :)

...That's becoming the 'meme' for criticism of the CLR from Matrix owners, yours is not the first time I've read this. I find the coincident use of this specific term suspect. ..

wow ... that is pretty interesting.. I actually mentioned it in passing in this thread http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/65695-getting-rid-metallic-tinge.html when I was asking how to dial something else out of the CLR. I had no idea others thought the CLR boomy.

Go figure. I guess I am not alone!

I'm not giving an opinion one way or the other here, just giving a thumbs-up for the use of "coincident" in this discussion. Well played, sir.

conspiracy theories?

Forgot to mention to Scott -- That I actually had Jay Mitchell on a speaker phone while he tried to walk me through how to dial out the boom in my box.

So by implying "conspiracy theories" through the use of the phrase "I find the coincident use of this specific term suspect" is not very well played in my book.

Again I have no dog in this hunt ... but let me think about it... is it possible that others do?

mmmm need to put my tin cap on and go watch the movie "conspiracy theory" again.
c74c86fd.gif

conspiracy theories?

Forgot to mention to Scott -- That I actually had Jay Mitchell on a speaker phone while he tried to walk me through how to dial out the boom in my box.

So by implying "conspiracy theories" through the use of the phrase "I find the coincident use of this specific term suspect" is not very well played in my book.

He's talking about the "coincident" as in "CLR" : Coincident Line Reference. It's funny, I laughed :D

Edit: beat me to it, damn it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom