Axe for Lemur ready for beta testers

Bluetooth MIDI pedalboard

Scrutinizer - have you seen this?

iRig BlueBoard

Bluetooth MIDI pedalboard.

Any reason that you can see why this would not work with the Lemur/iPad environment you have designed? I think this could bring in some cool additional functionality.

Greg

Scrutinizer - have you seen this?

iRig BlueBoard

Bluetooth MIDI pedalboard.

Any reason that you can see why this would not work with the Lemur/iPad environment you have designed? I think this could bring in some cool additional functionality.

Greg
Lemur supports Core Midi, so there should be no problem getting communication working with that thing. You easily can map one of the footswitch buttons to a a single switch or button in the template - use the Mapping window in the Lemur editor to map the switch or control to the MIDI message sent by the footpedal.

Getting the footswitch interact with the template in a context-sensitive way would not be easy.

Hi Scrutinizer,

wow - your template rocks big time! Thanks SO much for your work!!

I must admit I only came across this app in the course of the latest AE delay - as I believe it will now take some time now before that thing gets finally launched, I thought I give it a try. So within really short time, I got Lemur up and running on Win 7 64, connected to my iPad 2 without any problems over my Wifi network, loaded your template via the editor and.... bingo! Fast and painless - there is not even a big latency in the update rates of the controls.

You have obviously put in quite some work. I just started fiddling with it but I can see already that this will be a great tool for daily Axe work.

I suggest you set up a paypal link somewhere so that people can donate a little something to show their appreciation for your time and dedication (I would certainly like to donate).

One question I have: On all faders, the associated values do not show up (only in the fader top position a 0 is displayed) or show up truncated (only the last digit of the value shows up - e.g. level "3 dB" when it should be "13 dB"). Also I notice that on some buttons, the value shows funny characters - i.e. on the "T Stack Location" button, the displayed values change from nothing to "v" to "§" to "'" - this seems to not be the case in the screen shows in this thread. Is this somethig I can change? Or could it have to do with me using an iPad with German language settings (that would appear plausible for the characters but not for the truncated slider values).

Actually I have another question: While running your template AND the "old" AE: In the looper, changes on the iPad (like pressing the start button) are reflected in AE while on the AE amp page nothing is reflected in AE - is this simply a case of this having not being coded in AE or just coincidence? Just asking because I thought you might know as you have dug so deep into the subject.

Again - thank you very much for your Lemur project template! I would certainly recommend to anyone wanting an editor now to shell out the 50 bucks for Lemur as your template makes it well worth for use with the Axe.

Cheers,
Robert

Small update: The object values (fader values, button values) worked until v 1.99b7 and certainly as of v 2.x do not work anymore.

I have tried to compare the handling in 1.99b7 (with already modified paramter passing compared to older versions) with 2.x in respect to the sxout() and sxoutHandler script / object but could not find any difference - hopefully you can find the discrepancy... :)

Hi Scrutinizer,

wow - your template rocks big time! Thanks SO much for your work!!

I must admit I only came across this app in the course of the latest AE delay - as I believe it will now take some time now before that thing gets finally launched, I thought I give it a try. So within really short time, I got Lemur up and running on Win 7 64, connected to my iPad 2 without any problems over my Wifi network, loaded your template via the editor and.... bingo! Fast and painless - there is not even a big latency in the update rates of the controls.

You have obviously put in quite some work. I just started fiddling with it but I can see already that this will be a great tool for daily Axe work.

I suggest you set up a paypal link somewhere so that people can donate a little something to show their appreciation for your time and dedication (I would certainly like to donate).

One question I have: On all faders, the associated values do not show up (only in the fader top position a 0 is displayed) or show up truncated (only the last digit of the value shows up - e.g. level "3 dB" when it should be "13 dB"). Also I notice that on some buttons, the value shows funny characters - i.e. on the "T Stack Location" button, the displayed values change from nothing to "v" to "§" to "'" - this seems to not be the case in the screen shows in this thread. Is this somethig I can change? Or could it have to do with me using an iPad with German language settings (that would appear plausible for the characters but not for the truncated slider values).

Actually I have another question: While running your template AND the "old" AE: In the looper, changes on the iPad (like pressing the start button) are reflected in AE while on the AE amp page nothing is reflected in AE - is this simply a case of this having not being coded in AE or just coincidence? Just asking because I thought you might know as you have dug so deep into the subject.

Again - thank you very much for your Lemur project template! I would certainly recommend to anyone wanting an editor now to shell out the 50 bucks for Lemur as your template makes it well worth for use with the Axe.

Cheers,
Robert
Thanks for the kind words. I do need to put up a donation link. So many things to do ... I also need to write a user manual and put up some demo videos.

Regarding the displayed values, there might be a AxeFXII firmware version mismatch or it could be caused by a Lemur bug.
Are you using AxeFXII firmware 9.02? The format of the parameter value sysex message has changed in the recent AxeII firmware. Specifically the location of the ascii text in the message has shifted - which means that if you use the template with older AxeII firmware the parameter values will not be displayed correctly.

There is a Lemur bug that causes incoming sysex messages to be truncated in some conditions. The template calculates a rolling average of these incoming message errors, and displays this on the main screen (in small text so it is not annoying). When you use the template, what is the incoming sysex success? If the success rate drops below 75%, the automatic retry sequence is disabled to speed up query time. And when that happens the text above the controls will frequently be incorrect.

Those are the two known issues that can cause the problem you are seeing. I just tried resetting language on my iPad2 to German, and see no issues with strange characters ... the text looks normal.

Regarding the Looper ... there is a 'Looper Status' sysex message that the AxeFXII can transmit. I have not used AxeEdit in ages, but from what you describe AE must be responding to these looper status messages. The looper status message includes the on/off state of the looper controls, and also contains some info about looper position.

Small update: The object values (fader values, button values) worked until v 1.99b7 and certainly as of v 2.x do not work anymore.

I have tried to compare the handling in 1.99b7 (with already modified paramter passing compared to older versions) with 2.x in respect to the sxout() and sxoutHandler script / object but could not find any difference - hopefully you can find the discrepancy... :)
It's easy to revert back the old protocol, I think only one (correction: two) line of code in the template need to change. Find the following script:
cS.HandleParamValMsg()

look for the line of code:
j=17; // text starts here

change it to:
j=13; // text starts here

Edited to add:
You should also change the buffer size test at the beginning of that block. Find:
if(sizeof(msg)<18 ) return;

change it to:
if(sizeof(msg)<14 ) return;

Last edited:
Thanks for the update! My MIDI success rate is constantly on 100% and I also think than that the keyboard language setting is no issue. I think then it is a version mismatch as I am still on V7 - will upgrade to 9.02 soon (but that then explains it), but will also try the code change you suggested for V7 for practice.

While you are online, two more quick ones: I am trying to use my FCB1010 together with your template to control the Axe (and ideally have the template reflect changes).

When I i.e. activate / deactivate "Drive" with the FCB on the JCM800 patch, the Axe reflects that immediately, the template only if I press and hold the DRV tab button at the bottom (so it refreshes) - Auto Sync is enabled. Is there a way to sort that without modifying scripts?

I also saw that when the Wah is enabled, all sliders work except "control" which also has a darker color than the others. I can work "control" with one of my FCB pedals no problem.

I was experimenting with another deamon entry for my FCB to send to Lemur but that seems not to fly...

Again thanks for your thoughts on this,
Robert

Tried your suggested code changes for the template in V7: Works perfectly now!! All values are displayed correctly!! :))) GREAT

Thanks for the update! My MIDI success rate is constantly on 100% and I also think than that the keyboard language setting is no issue. I think then it is a version mismatch as I am still on V7 - will upgrade to 9.02 soon (but that then explains it), but will also try the code change you suggested for V7 for practice.

While you are online, two more quick ones: I am trying to use my FCB1010 together with your template to control the Axe (and ideally have the template reflect changes).

When I i.e. activate / deactivate "Drive" with the FCB on the JCM800 patch, the Axe reflects that immediately, the template only if I press and hold the DRV tab button at the bottom (so it refreshes) - Auto Sync is enabled. Is there a way to sort that without modifying scripts?

I also saw that when the Wah is enabled, all sliders work except "control" which also has a darker color than the others. I can work "control" with one of my FCB pedals no problem.

I was experimenting with another deamon entry for my FCB to send to Lemur but that seems not to fly...

Again thanks for your thoughts on this,
Robert
I tried to get it working weeks ago, but currently there is no way to sync the template to IA switch presses on a footswitch (MFC101 or third party) connected to the AxeII. The CC messages from the footswitch do not get rebroadcast as USB MIDI messages ... this might be intentional and/or might be something that will change with future AxeII firmware that supports Axe Edit TNP. Seems like that would be needed to keep AE in sync w/ a MFC101, so I am hopeful that solution is not too far away.

With a controller connected to the PC using a direct USB or MIDI-USB interface, it would be easy to route the footswitch's messages to the template. Sounds like you've tried this already. A new script is needed to handle these incoming messages. Right now the template ignores these incoming CC messages.

When a parameter has an attached modifier, the associated control in the template does not have any effect. Try the ExtControl page in the template, the first fader is Ext1 and controls the wah on many factory presets.

Tried your suggested code changes for the template in V7: Works perfectly now!! All values are displayed correctly!! :))) GREAT
Excellent!

When a parameter has an attached modifier, the associated control in the template does not have any effect. Try the ExtControl page in the template, the first fader is Ext1 and controls the wah on many factory presets.

Excellent!

Scrutinizer,

+1 on the Paypal thing. Let me know, Your work is awesome here. I'm getting quite used to the panel though one area that is still harder is the modifier controls. I'm not sure I totally get what the ExtControl piece does in your app so looking to get to understand that part better?

Well done

Thanks for the update! What you say in regard to the rebroadcasting of CCs via Midi-USB from the Axe makes complete sense to me, as i.e. PC messages from the FCB1010 are reflected directly in the Axe AND the template while CCs are neither reflected in the template nor in AE (the looper being the one exception here) - AE did never reflect external CC messages like effect on/off so far.

Roger on the parameter with ext. modifier - Ext 1 Fader controls the Wah flawlessly (even though the ext. pedal movement is not reflected in the template fader for the reasons you laid out before) as does an external pedal via MIDI - both inputs are of course also reflected on the "control" knob in the FP.

Now get that Paypal link going please :)

@WITELITE: The Ext. Faders on the second page of the template correspond to the Axe external controls. So if you have i.e. setup the wah to be controlled by Ext. 1 in the Axe, you can use the Ext. 1 fader in the template to wahwahwah... or any other external control you may want to setup in the Axe with any of those faders.

PS: Maybe you can put the additional script to listen for incoming CC messages on the wishlist for a future release of the template?

Well, it has been a month. Time to release a new version with some improvements.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54889552/AxeForLemur.2.02.zip

Feb 20, 2013
Axe for Lemur version 2.02

Complete rework of Delay block to use faders instead of knobs
Complete rework of MultiDelay block to use faders instead of knobs
Complete rework of Pitch block to use faders instead of knobs
Minor rework of other blocks (amp,cab,cho,lpr) to improve aesthetics
Query sequence has been improved to better accommodate muxed faders
Query speed is improved by reducing the number of hidden parameters that are queried
Incoming CC# 33 or CC#37-99 messages trigger resync of byp states
Fixed issue with the AutoSync button on the preset page
Fixed issue with first tap-hold of GetAll button

I'd like to give this a try, but I'm a Windows guy. Not going to let one app force me to buy expensive hardware I otherwise would not buy. Is there still no way to use this app without buying an ipad? Will a Windows 8 tablet ever be supported?

Excellent stuff - thank you so very much Scrutinizer!!

The way you have streamlined some of the pages looks really good. I use delay a lot and the most used delay parameter for me is "Mix". Having that as a fader makes controlling the values so much easier.

Reading through your release notes, the most interesting new feature for me is this (thanks again for incorporating that!):
Incoming CC# 33 or CC#37-99 messages trigger resync of byp states

Unfortunately it does not work for me yet. Does one have to set up something in the deamon? I have tried to set up another connection (like Lemur listening for my FCB1010) in there but that could only be routed to another port and not the same as the Axe uses (0) which is likely not the way to go.

When I change the effect state on the Axe FP OR via my FCB, it is not reflected in the template.

Example: I have setup CC49 for Drive bypass on/off on my FCB. I can now switch the bypass state on/off via the FCB, the FP, as well as via the template. While a state change is always reflected on the FP, it is not reflected in the template (with auto sync on).

What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance for your input!
Robert

I'd like to give this a try, but I'm a Windows guy. Not going to let one app force me to buy expensive hardware I otherwise would not buy. Is there still no way to use this app without buying an ipad? Will a Windows 8 tablet ever be supported?
I am not sure if Liine is planning on releasing a version of Lemur for the Windows 8 tablet. I am not affiliated with Liine, but I should disclose that I am a beta tester for Lemur.

Excellent stuff - thank you so very much Scrutinizer!!

The way you have streamlined some of the pages looks really good. I use delay a lot and the most used delay parameter for me is "Mix". Having that as a fader makes controlling the values so much easier.

Reading through your release notes, the most interesting new feature for me is this (thanks again for incorporating that!):

Unfortunately it does not work for me yet. Does one have to set up something in the deamon? I have tried to set up another connection (like Lemur listening for my FCB1010) in there but that could only be routed to another port and not the same as the Axe uses (0) which is likely not the way to go.

When I change the effect state on the Axe FP OR via my FCB, it is not reflected in the template.

Example: I have setup CC49 for Drive bypass on/off on my FCB. I can now switch the bypass state on/off via the FCB, the FP, as well as via the template. While a state change is always reflected on the FP, it is not reflected in the template (with auto sync on).

What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance for your input!
Robert
It would be easy to change the behavior so it listens on MIDI Target 0 thru 3 simultaneously.
Four scripts will be edited:
cS.ccInMidi0()
cS.ccInMidi1()
cS.ccInMidi2()
cS.ccInMidi3()

In each of these four scripts, replace the first line of text with:
if(1){

Save the template, upload to iPad. Should take care of the issue temporarily for you.

Based on this, I have two improvements in mind for the next version:
1. Rather than using a hard coded list of CC#s, build a list each time the bypass state message is received
2. Ignore CC messages from other midi channels, listen only to the AxeFX midi channel

VERY cool - you are definitively da man!! :p

Modified the scripts as you described, set up another incoming connection for the template to listen to the FCB on port 1 and there you go - now the bypass state is reflected within milliseconds. You made a happy camper here - thank you! Tested it only for CC49 so far but will do more testing tomorrow and feedback.

I am not sure I fully understand your points 1&2. Would your "temporary" fix not only have disadvantages in case you want to use the template to also control something other than the Axe at the same time? Anyway, I look forward to how you will incorporate that whenever you get around to do so in a future version.

You certainly made my day today!

VERY cool - you are definitively da man!! :p

Modified the scripts as you described, set up another incoming connection for the template to listen to the FCB on port 1 and there you go - now the bypass state is reflected within milliseconds. You made a happy camper here - thank you! Tested it only for CC49 so far but will do more testing tomorrow and feedback.

I am not sure I fully understand your points 1&2. Would your "temporary" fix not only have disadvantages in case you want to use the template to also control something other than the Axe at the same time? Anyway, I look forward to how you will incorporate that whenever you get around to do so in a future version.

You certainly made my day today!
Glad that worked for you.

The main concern I have with this feature is the possibility that these CC#s might be used by other devices in a user's rig. If there is a expression pedal that sends CC messages in this range, the template would query the bypass states every time the expression pedal was moved.

Just a quick feedback after playing with it for a while: The effect bypass state changes are updated flawlessly in the template (for the CC range you have coded) when triggered by the FCB direct via the corresponding respective CC or indirect, when using the "wildcard" setup, via the corresponding CC for an allocated external controller, mapped to a specific effect bypass parameter. So what I originally desired is in fact there and I am very happy with that :)

What I have noticed:
1) Even though when calling up a preset, all corresponding effects in the chain are initially properly turned on/off in the template, triggering an effect on/off from the FP (with the FX BYP knob) is not reflected in the template? That I do not understand as the template is listening to the Axe on port 0 and it obviously does react to patch and tempo changes from the FP (it reacts to the Axe).
Why does the template reflect bypass state changes from my FCB but not from the FP?? I don't get it.

My daemon setup is:
Axe MIDI In receives from Lemur out 0
Axe MIDI Out sends to Lemur in 0
FCB sends to Lemur in 1

Axe connected to my PC via USB, FCB connected to my PC via Motu MidiExpress 128, port 3 and Midi routing from Motu port 3 to Axe via Miditrix software (this Motu device does not offer internal routing by itself). I tried enabling the "USB Adapter Mode" on the Axe but that did not make a change.

2) After fiddling with the template for while, sometimes a state occurs where moving faders or controls creates a fluttering sound in the Axe (speakers) - simply changing preset (and back) resolves that and control movements are sonically as smooth as before. I was not able to recreate such a state on purpose so that I could detect what has to happen in which sequence for this to occur.

Roger on your points 1 & 2 - I understand now.

Overall, I think that -at least from me- the bypass state updates are a huge step forward as now, one can play guitar while using the foot controller (including the pedals) and at the same time modify parameters comfortably in the template without having to think about keeping the pedals in sync with the template (e.g. stomp boxes).

This thing is awesome!

Back
Top Bottom