OH Public Beta Redux! (more free stuff)

My opinion of the phenomenon of the desire for the darker files boils down to a very simple scenario:

People want a tiny little 1x12 full range*ish* driver loaded cabinet that's within close proximity to them and pointed at their face to sound like an '?'x12 cabinet that's further away from them and pointed at their knees.

As Yek noted, the Live-n-Loud stuff is to allow nit-picking of this face blasting where traditionally you get whatever the house crew gives you, if anything at all. The FOH guy is probably going to want something in the SM57 USA or Brit Modern 7-9 range, I'd wager, so while not absolutely necessary, you could send a different feed that way as in post #37.

My opinion of the phenomenon of the desire for the darker files boils down to a very simple scenario:

People want a tiny little 1x12 full range*ish* driver loaded cabinet that's within close proximity to them and pointed at their face to sound like an '?'x12 cabinet that's further away from them and pointed at their knees.

As Yek noted, the Live-n-Loud stuff is to allow nit-picking of this face blasting where traditionally you get whatever the house crew gives you, if anything at all. The FOH guy is probably going to want something in the SM57 USA or Brit Modern 7-9 range, I'd wager, so while not absolutely necessary, you could send a different feed that way as in post #37.

I got ya. So basically the other files are if I placed my ear right up near the grill where they were captured. Would you say the Live N Loud are like Far Fields or are far fields taken at a certain distance and these are eq'd close mic mixes? I understand the principle now. I guess my question is why would the house want the 7-9 if that's got some excess bass and treble content through a full range system? The thing is, like I said in my original post, my band runs its own sound 95% of the time and I've tried to tell the bassist to leave me flat. Are we saying the Live N Loud is really only a monitor IR to help take off the harshness to my ears, but the house should get the harsher IR because that cuts and blends better in a live mix to the audience? Just curious to understand better. Appreciate the info so far.

Just sitting around playing through my Yamaha monitor/sub system, the live and loud certainly sounds better and more "natural" to me even with the SM57 which is not my favorite mic due to the sizzle on it. These Live N Louds lean more towards the Redwirez stuff as far as where they sit EQ wise, but, they have a nicer air and fullness to them that the Redwirez seem to lack in comparison...the Redwirez sound "flatter" for lack of a better word. I guess the test for me is going to get down how complex do I want to try and get live. There's no doubt I like your Live N Louds better for sitting around playing through my system for my own personal enjoyment though.

Last edited:
If you're too dark to FOH, you'll not compete in the sound field at all against drums and vocals. Depending on the type of music, that can be desirable, some guitarists are nothing more than ambient background noise. If you try to take the dark files and push them up so loud that the available high frequency information they do have is comparable, you may drown every thing out from a volumetric standpoint. As posted before, though, nothing is always certain. Your PA, how you mix the other parts of the band, it's all one cohesive sound, or it should be. Nothing is going to sound the same solo'd as it does in the mix.

Ala the Fletcher Munsen effect, with higher volume relativity comes the ear's acknowledgement of higher frequency information. So when you have your stage monitor up way louder than the mix so you can hear yourself, you'd need to cut the treble to maintain the same basic sound. Conversely, if you take a guitar that sounds great in the mix and drop the volume 6 dB, it not only sounds quieter, but darker also, even though you didn't change the EQ.

Every situation is unique, I am just trying to provide as diverse of tools as possible to accommodate the range of potential uses. In these libraries, I myself only use 5 files or less out of the 700 or so I make (for each cab/speaker) for everybody else.

Live-n-Loud IRs are targeted for use through personal FR amplification.
For FOH, the sound guy may prefer 'regular' IRs, to be able to shape the tone himself.
Several methods exist to accommodate both.

1. Use a LnL IR in one side of a stereo cab. And a regular IR in the other. Keep them fully panned. Now send one side to FOH and the other to your monitor. Disadvantages: mono sound, no separate volume control, less IR mixing possibilities.

2. Use two Cab blocks. One for FOH and one for your monitor. Can be stereo. Disadvantage: lot of CPU usage.

3. Ignore the sound guy.

4. Send a signal to the FOH with mids and highs tuned right, but with too much lows, because the sound guy can easily lower the bassy content while you really need some bassy content on stage since every musician is used to that typical sound of a guitaramp and I doubt they like something thin and sharp...they could think that it s a crappy sound from a player with bad talent for sounds.

brit modern Live n loud sounds really good with my Brit super FRFR patch. Really has some nice thick punch to it but it's still clear no mud
that IR sounds really good mixed with the sm57 brit modern 8 too. it ads just a touch of "sizzle" to it is so desired. would probably sound great with the Ex REd model.
thanks Kevin! so far I'm loving these , need to try the USA Modern with my Mark IV FRFR patch :)

Everything else will come out with all new flashy libraries in time. I'm going on memory, but I currently have in my collection:

Cabs:
- Boogafunk Thiele 1x12
- Stone Age 1x12
- Bogner Shiva 2x12
- Bogner 4x12
- Krank Krankenstein 4x12
- Marshall 1960B 4x12
- Mesa Recto 4x12
- Mills Acoustics Afterburner 4x12
- SLM 4x12

Speakers:
- Celestion Alnico Blue
- Celestion Classic Lead 80
- Celestion G12-65
- Celestion G12H (Heritage Reissue, 55 Hz)
- Celestion G12H (late 70's black back, 55 Hz (I think?))
- Celestion G12K-100
- Celestion G12L (late 70's black back)
- Celestion G12M (late 70's black back 55 Hz)
- Celestion G12M-20 (Heritage Reissue)
- Celestion G12T-75
- Celestion Vintage 30 (Chinese)
- Celestion Vintage 30 (English)
- Electro Voice EVM-12L Classic
- Eminence Texas Heat
- JBL D120F (70's)
- Jensen P12N
- Jensen Jet Blackbird
- Scumback H75
- Scumback J75
- Scumback M75

Speakers I do plan to get at some point:
- Eminence Cannabis Rex
- Eminence EJ1250
- Eminence Red Fang
- Scumback Scumnico

So as you can see, I have a lot of work ahead of me. :)
I'm confused. Could you please clarify what we will eventually get when spending $25 on your site? Will all the above cabs be included or will each listed cab cost $25?

Last edited:
brit modern Live n loud sounds really good with my Brit super FRFR patch. Really has some nice thick punch to it but it's still clear no mud
that IR sounds really good mixed with the sm57 brit modern 8 too. it ads just a touch of "sizzle" to it is so desired. would probably sound great with the Ex REd model.
thanks Kevin! so far I'm loving these , need to try the USA Modern with my Mark IV FRFR patch :)

Good idea! I'm going to try mixing those too...maybe a best of both worlds thing where I use that 1 IR and it gives me a nice monitor sound and a nice sound to the board as well.

My feedback: the new beta sounds even more betterer than before! I replaced the "Fat-7" from the old beta with the "Brit Modern-5", and it was a complete "holy shit!" moment. I'm using it 50-50 with the TC-30 from the old beta, just as before, in a heavily driven EVH 5153 patch.

At this rate of improvement, you're going to be making cab sims that cause me to quit my job and just play open E chords on the Axe-FX all day. :)

Love the four new LNLs. Awesome.
OK, I have the mids boosted by eqs in all my presets anyway, so I isn't too bassy. They just fit in my presets without any retweaking. Cool.
Brit for Marshall and alike, USA for Mesa and similar. But only for overdriven/distorted sounds, not for my cleans.
For cleans I still prefer boxy combo-like sounds.

I'm confused. Could you please clarify what we will get when spending $25 on your site? Will all the above cabs be included or will each listed cab cost $25?

I really hope that EACH cab cost 25$(still way to cheap considering the imense amount of work put into this)! Otherwise Kevin will quickly have to sell his house and move out under some bridge somewhere!

I really hope that EACH cab cost 25$(still way to cheap considering the imense amount of work put into this)! Otherwise Kevin will quickly have to sell his house and move out under some bridge somewhere!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he's explained elsewhere that it's $25 per cab, which is a great deal considering the number of different mics and positions you get with each cab.

Glad the new LnL's are doing it for many of you! :)

Yes, $25 (prior to the frequency discount for returning customers) per library, which is one cab, one speaker type, and a boatload of mics, voicings, position options, and specialized captures (like the Auxiliary, Live n Loud, and Studio Pro subsets). All that in Axe 1 SysEx, Axe 2 SysEx, Kemper, Nebula, and Wave Audio formats.

Right now the OwnHammer Store -> Standard Series Libraries link automatically forwards you to the 412-GTR Bog 12M-RI because it is currently the only active item in that container. Once the next library is released and the amount of libraries is greater than 1, that link will pass you to a list of available individual libraries to choose from instead. Just the way the transactional framework works - saves browser clicks when and where it can.

Glad the new LnL's are doing it for many of you! :)

Yes, $25 (prior to the frequency discount for returning customers) per library, which is one cab, one speaker type, and a boatload of mics, voicings, position options, and specialized captures (like the Auxiliary, Live n Loud, and Studio Pro subsets). All that in Axe 1 SysEx, Axe 2 SysEx, Kemper, Nebula, and Wave Audio formats.

Right now the OwnHammer Store -> Standard Series Libraries link automatically forwards you to the 412-GTR Bog 12M-RI because it is currently the only active item in that container. Once the next library is released and the amount of libraries is greater than 1, that link will pass you to a list of available individual libraries to choose from instead. Just the way the transactional framework works - saves browser clicks when and where it can.

That's a very good deal, Kevin. If I try to think about even renting mics, a good recording space, and then doing all the work that you've done to get thee sounding so good, I'd be in it for more than my AxeFX cost.

I've only been going thru my RCfF NX12 using this I, haven't even thought about trying to record anything with these LNL Ir's.
I really haven't auditioned any of the SM57 Irs yet (just one so far, the Brit Modern -8 ).
I'm off to the dentist if I get back early enought I'll thriow a clip up of my Brit Super patch (that I've rally fallen in love with now with this LNL IR)

Last edited:
These sound AWESOME, especially the LnL. Blending them in Axe-o-Matic yields some great results too. Expecially liking the Brit Vintage & USA Modern together. Thank you again Kevin!

Back
Top Bottom