Guess What Amp I Just Bought

The ods has been modeled in the axe since years back.
The modeled sound of it will probably not reflect the hyped
price-tag of the amp. It's not really that special.

Man if containing a model of a $55k amp doesn't stop people from bitching about the price of these, I don't think anything will.

It is a circuit that most techs has seen a million times.

A part of me hopes that Cliff opens the amp up and immediately recognized the circuitry as something he's seen a million times and there really isn't anything special about it. I'll play the hell out of it anyway!

Funny how the modeled version will sound authentic no matter what. Imagine.. "I really enjoy the new Dumble! It's got the same spank and creamy feedback, just as.. the one.. I've.. never tried. I've never even tried a Dumble! How can I tell? :| Well guess what, if it sounds great I'm ok with it. good luck trying to do all the axe-fx combinations with the original one and hardware pedals etc. The axe-fx Dumble model will be the reference to most people, so when they try the original (If they're that lucky) it will be all like "it sounds almost as good as my axe-fx Dumble!" hehe.

Thank you Cliff, I wonder how it will be compared to the Dumble we have already. mmmmmmh Dumble.

The docs are great - he seems like quite the character. Just seeing that he writes his return address as "Los Angeles County, California Republic" says a lot about him. Great read.

I don't know what's more expensive...the Dumble amp, or the bullet proof windows needed modeling a Dumble (joking)

Cliff_New_Amp.jpg

It is a circuit that most techs has seen a million times.

I doubt many techs or even many guitar players have seen a real Dumble. I also doubt many techs would be brave enough or be allowed to remove the epoxy over the components to see what is going on inside. Perhaps there are a few diagrams floating around the internet but apparently each one was slightly different. This is a very exciting event. A Dumble will finally be preserved properly forever inside the Axe.

I've played four Dumbles. Each was unique, and two sounded like shit IMO.

Howard/Alex built his amps to the customer's requirements, so each has it's own voice. When you go to copy one, of course the question is, is it one of the good ones?

A cheaper and easier way is to get a Bruno Super 100 clone. Tony took apart the four Dumbles Gene of Ultrasound owned. He tested every single part in each amplifier and documented the results. Tony builds the clones as exact copies of the originals. I've had three of these clones and they were fantastic and better than the two shitty real Dumbles.

You don't buy a real Dumble without playing it first IMO. If you can't afford to fly to the amp to try it, then you shouldn't be a customer.

The moral is always the same, not all Dumbles, 1954 Strats or 1959 Les Pauls are heavenly. Some are, most are average for their time period, some suck from the get go and other aged poorly. Don't let the hype consume you.

Back
Top Bottom