Which Pick Do You Pick

Jazz 3's of all different materials, like em all. But thanks for the heads up on the JP's, dont have any of those yet...

Jazz III - just the standard red ones... Started using them early last year, and really can't imagine using anything else now...

That's what I thought with my black Jazz IIIs. Tried a whole bunch over the years until I found the Jazz III, which I stuck with for probably close to 10 years. Liked the reds better at first, but it wasn't long before I started preferring the blacks and never went back.

Then just last year I found a place that sold the Ultex Jazz IIIs and gave those a try. Fan-bloody-tastic. :)

Tried the Max Grip carbon fibre ones in between, but they were too grippy for me. I never realised before I tried them that I actually move the pick around in my fingers constantly, even while I'm picking. The MGs were so grippy they just stayed in whatever place I put it first, and I couldn't shift it around! Moving the pick to the inside of my index finger for tapping or finger picking or whatever was just entirely out of the question. :lol

The yellow clear ultex seem to disappear often. But then they show up later. Black's hide too.
I bought a bag of every type of Jazz 3's once. They all are great.
The max grips are a bit sticky
20 years now... cant use anything else.

Last edited:
Damn it, I just went to the Blue Chip website. I can hardly comprehend spending $50 on a pick I'll probably misplace within a few days... and yet I want to try one. Screw you guys! :lol

The yellow clear ultex seem to disappear often. But then they show up later. Black's hide too.
I bought a bag of every type of Jazz 3's once. They all are great.
The max grips are a bit sticky
20 years now... cant use anything else.

Yeah, the "urine yellow" Ultex are just impossible to find once you drop 'em. They need to make one with a tiny LED and coin cell battery inside the pick so when you drop it you can see where it is. :lol

JazzIII....didn't know I had a preference until I read an article about them 5-7 years ago and gave hem a try. Been stuck on them ever since.

I used the red jazz III's for years then tried the ultex sharps and love them but they only had full size, I then found the jazz III ultex but couldn't get used to the smaller size again. I might give those, and the max grip carbons a try. The petrucci sounds good though.

Back in the 70s I used to use tortoiseshell. Since then it's been mainly fingers. Lately my nails have been taking a battering, and I've been experimenting with a number of different picks, so this is an interesting thread to watch.

I only want boutique picks. Will settle for nothing less.

So I had mine custom-made and flown in. Made from the shell of George, the giant tortoise, 100 years sold and last of his kind, on the Galapagos. Hell, he was dying anyway. He's dead now for sure. So I have to look for another source in the league of almost extinct animals or unique materials. Can picks be made from Thorium?? :ugeek

P.S. Jens, you know, that smiley kinda looks like you, haha.

Dunlop Tortex Standard 0.88

I've bought and tried different materials, shapes and sizes but keep going back to them without knowing why.

For thumbpicks (when I'm getting my Tommy E on) I use slick picks. Probably not a heavily used type pick among the fractal crowd, but these are better ergonomically than the blue chip thumbpick I have and never use.

Nope. You would have to use Mithrill, Thorium will instantly destroy your strings.
Unless you use the Ernie Ball custom Fairyhair wound ones.
PM me if you need the number for Gimli.

Fairyhair ... brilliant, LOL

Back
Top Bottom