REQUEST: Boys of Summer by Don Henley

Great! Thank you very much, 80s Man! Well played and the band sounds absolutely fantastic! IMHO, the guitar's perfectly blended in the mix and cut just enough.

Small suggestions: Increase the "Input Trim" parameter of the amp block a few notches, up to about 2 o clock? I also remember playing all parts with the bridge humbucker of my Tyler. This thing has a really hot output. I'm somehow under the impression you are using lace sensor pickups - I mean, I can vaguely remember you mentioning it!? In any care, if you haven't, try the humbucker for a bit more break up and a mid frequency boost. This will, IMHO, sound closer to the original. Great! Thank you very much!

I will absolutely try that bud. If I can get it even closer to the original all the better. I know what you mean about the bite, especially in that slightly distorted part. If that doesn't work I may need to kick in a second drive pedal for just those two licks.

You are correct that I am using a Lace Sensor Dually split to single coil in the bridge. I wonder if Mike Campbell played both pickups of his Tele for this one or just the bridge pickup? I haven't researched it so don't know or necessarily care since we are so darn close with it already but I will try a humbucker and report back. Thanks to you this song has gone from a every now and then tune to getting played every night.

Great! Thank you very much, 80s Man! Well played and the band sounds absolutely fantastic! IMHO, the guitar's perfectly blended in the mix and cut just enough.

Small suggestions: Increase the "Input Trim" parameter of the amp block a few notches, up to about 2 o clock? I also remember playing all parts with the bridge humbucker of my Tyler. This thing has a really hot output. I'm somehow under the impression you are using lace sensor pickups - I mean, I can vaguely remember you mentioning it!? In any care, if you haven't, try the humbucker for a bit more break up and a mid frequency boost. This will, IMHO, sound closer to the original. Great! Thank you very much!

Chef, I must apologize as I just noticed during my upgrade on my MFC's firmware that I had the verse tone assigned to the button designated for the chorus. So...basically on the audio sample I posted the verse and chorus are using the same tone so your above observations would make total sense. I reassigned to the correct switch and played with the tone using the humbucker and the added grit was there as well as the mid frequency boost so I should be able to get it even closer.

I did add a second drive pedal to kick in during the two little distorted licks in the song. I found the Eternal Love to get pretty close so went with that.

BTW: This is one of Martha's favorite songs we do and she thinks it sounds really great now so a big thank you from her as well.

Chef, I must apologize as I just noticed during my upgrade on my MFC's firmware that I had the verse tone assigned to the button designated for the chorus. So...basically on the audio sample I posted the verse and chorus are using the same tone so your above observations would make total sense. I reassigned to the correct switch and played with the tone using the humbucker and the added grit was there as well as the mid frequency boost so I should be able to get it even closer.

I did add a second drive pedal to kick in during the two little distorted licks in the song. I found the Eternal Love to get pretty close so went with that.

BTW: This is one of Martha's favorite songs we do and she thinks it sounds really great now so a big thank you from her as well.

Great to hear it's working out for you!

Give Martha a huge sloppy kiss, tell her it's from me... :D

Smoooth

Here's my 2 cents. I basically made all sounds fit into one patch since I know you're a gigging musician and rather not switch presets all the time. It is set up for 3 different tones. You control them with the mixer and also need to to turn the drive pedal on for the chorus. I hope you'll find the patch useful. It's a good start - to get you tweaking in the right direction.

I don't know the parts at all. Please bare with my playing. Left channel is the original recording, right channel is the Axe-FX. These patches sound better in stereo...

This is how the different sounds are dialed in. Find the best way to do this with your floor unit...
Boys.jpg

Good luck! :D

Is this patch available for downloading anywhere?

Danny Kortchmar was I believe the guitar player on those two Henley albums and did magnificent work, IMHO. Look forward to trying this out next week when I get back home, thanks!

Huh...I thought it was Mike Campbell from the Heartbreakers..??

Back
Top Bottom