Mesa Boogie Mark V + Axe FX 2 + MFC-101

Jofipe

Hello there

So for my first post I have a little question.

I have a Mark V head, and i'm about to order an AFX 2 + MFC-101

My question it... Can you use the MFC-101 to switch channels of the Mark V head aswell? The amp has some sort of input jack inputs for third party switch boards... does this apply to the MFC-101?

Rear view of the Mark V

Thanks all! :)

Pretty sure you need a midi switching device, such as THIS or similar.

I have zero hands on experience though, just internet knowledge.

Aah cool, so you connect this to the amp and to the MFC-101 ? Anyone knows if there is a midiboard out there that can "do it all" ? amp + axe fx 2

to my knowledge, there still isn't a midi board that "does it all." the closest is still the tc g system, but that is an effects board so it'd be redundant.

if your amp had midi on it, you could go out of the axefx (out/through) and into the amp with a midi cable. it makes no sense to run an ethernet 20 feet from your axe to your mfc, then a midi cable 20 feet back from the mfc to the amp.

but most amps don't have midi and use relay switches.

when i used my roadster and g system, i used a MIDI Solutions R8; MIDI to General Purpose Output r8 midi switcher. it was great, but you can't program midi channel changes on the fly. you have to preset it with a computer program. i think the amp gizmo from rjm allows you to program on the fly. the midi PC change from the axe fx (started by the mfc) sends a command to the midi switcher, which outputs the correct relay switch on the amp, thus changing channels, or boost, or whatever is connected.

but careful... as soon as i got the axe and played it through a small pa, i knew it was all i needed and sold my old rig. :)

I've been using the g system with my mark v and i use and RJM amp gizmo to change channels on the mark v when switching presets. I've not long bought an axe fx 2 and plan to use the same midi switcher with the axe fx 2. Works great with the g sys but the axe fx 2 is outta this world compared to it.

Thanks.

Would the Gordius Little Giant have any advantage over the MFC-101 in such a setup? I like the fact that it's really compact, it makes stuff easier.

I am currently using the Mini Amp Gizmo with my Mark V, axe fx 2 and MFC-101 and it works great. I agree with the above posts in that I don't think there is another way to change the channels on the Mark V without some sort of device (like the Mini Amp Gizmo and its special cable).

The Behringer FCB1010 has two relays in it. I'm not familiar with the switching jacks on a Mark V, but if two switches are enough, you could consider that floorboard. You'd have to run cable(s) from the FCB relays to your Mk V. The MFC, of course, offers more IAs, programming flexibility, and better Axe integration (tuner display, etc.)... but if your MIDI needs are basic the FCB is much cheaper and also has two expression pedals built in, which is convenient.

Edit: Just noticed the pic you posted of the Mk V. Looks like if all you want to do is switch channels, two relays might do.

Last edited:
How do I connect it?

I am currently using the Mini Amp Gizmo with my Mark V, axe fx 2 and MFC-101 and it works great. I agree with the above posts in that I don't think there is another way to change the channels on the Mark V without some sort of device (like the Mini Amp Gizmo and its special cable).

I have the same rig and would like to know how to connect the mfc101 to the mini gizmo? I am using an ethernet cable to the Axe-Fx II from the mfc101 so what do I do ,midi out of the mfc101 to the mini gizmo in tandem with the ethernet cable or what?

Last edited:
Hence nobody seems to answer your question I decided that I will.
The answer is :

NO , you can not.

There is no switching output in it.

I have the same rig and would like to know how to connect the mfc101 to the mini gizmo? I am using an ethernet cable to the Axe-Fx II from the mfc101 so what do I do ,midi out of the mfc101 to the mini gizmo in tandem with the ethernet cable or what?

What you would need to do is this.

• MFC 101 to Axe FX II, Cat 5 cable carrying midi and power.
  • Axe FX II Midi Out/Thru via midi cable to the Mini Gizmo.
  • Mini Gizmo to Mark V via adapter cable
  • Set Axe FX II to listen on channel 1
  • Set Mini Gizmo to listen on channel 2
  • Set up MFC to send relevent messages on the above channels.

You will also need an adapter cable from RJM for the mini gizmo to Mark V.

Thanks!

What you would need to do is this.

• MFC 101 to Axe FX II, Cat 5 cable carrying midi and power.
  • Axe FX II Midi Out/Thru via midi cable to the Mini Gizmo.
  • Mini Gizmo to Mark V via adapter cable
  • Set Axe FX II to listen on channel 1
  • Set Mini Gizmo to listen on channel 2
  • Set up MFC to send relevent messages on the above channels.

You will also need an adapter cable from RJM for the mini gizmo to Mark V.

Thanks Stratamania I do have the Mark V cable and your imfo is just what I have been looking for. I'm just waiting for my new Mark V to arrive, can't wait!

By the way Statamania, I was wondering about your instructions to set the mini gizmo on channel 2 and set the mfc to send relevent messages on the above channels which I assume you mean the midi RX parameter on the mfc and if that is the case how do I choose 1&2 channels because it only allows one channel at a time?

Thanks Stratamania I do have the Mark V cable and your imfo is just what I have been looking for. I'm just waiting for my new Mark V to arrive, can't wait!

It's a starting point and RJM has some videos on you tube so with those and the above I think it can be made to work.

Well the MFC needs to transmit not RX, it may be possible on 1 channel to get it working, will look into it more. When do you get the gear ?

Back
Top Bottom