Axe-Fx II Firmware 9 Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please tell me if this is a joke or not, since I have never owned a GT-Pro - I was however able to coax many great sounds out of the lowly GT-8, and even the GT-3.... possibly the best clean tones of any modeller to date - and the point is???

No joke. I thought you had a GT-Pro, but the GT-8 is the same modeling, right?

I used the GT-Pro for a couple of years & was pretty satisfied with it. After 6 months of owning the Axe, I pulled out the GT-Pro yesterday and was really surprised at the difference. The Boss unit feels so flat now. And I haven't installed v9 yet. :)

What we've done since this beta release is made three CCs to control scenes:
34: Scene Select. CC Value selects scene.
123: Scene Increment. Any value over 64 increments the scene.
124: Scene Decrement. Any value over 64 decrements the scene.

Great solution. Thanks!

CC34 selects the scene directly.

this is interesting.. leads me to a couple more questions [sorry to be a pain]..

- can I assign [for example] CC20 [for a modifier] and CC34 [to switch scene] to the same IA / XP [on the mfc-101] to enable me to switch scene and trigger a modifier simultaneously?

- given that scene selection is effectively 'system wide' rather than 'per preset', if I didn't want to change my tone when I hit the "tone changing IA / XP", would I need to copy my scene 1 config to the other scenes or would not creating new scenes effectively have no effect and so sound just the same when a scene is switched?

- what are the CC34 values for the scenes?

all I can see here is one huge pile of potential waiting to be unleashed on my config...
also... I can see this potentially simplifying my live presets in quite a serious way...

Awesome, clearly better for those, like me, who have basic midi pedalboards (even if one CC per scene would be even better ! :p) !
By the way, kudos to FAS listening to your customers, I don't know *any* other brand where you can almost directly reach the designer of the product and somehow participate to the improvement of it !

Last edited:

The only issue with this is to switch from scene 1 to 5 you actually have to press 7 time the button assigned to CC124 (because each push on the button assigned to CC124 send either 0 or 127, alternatively). Maybe it would be better to make the increment/decrement for any value, no ? In that case going from 1 to 5 only need 4 pushed, which seems more logical to me.

Fab update!

Apologies if this has already been said, but it appears that all presets that had a 'Y' something (amp, cab, etc.) default to the X. I had quite a lot of 'Y's as my preferred selection so had to edit the presets. Seem to be fine once changed...provided you can remember which blocks should be X and which Y. :razz

Would be great if the final 9 release didn't do this.

Per Cliff: Yes, this is normal. X/Y information is stored differently now and will be lost on presets created with previous firmware.

The only issue with this is to switch from scene 1 to 5 you actually have to press 7 time the button assigned to CC124 (because each push on the button assigned to CC124 send either 0 or 127, alternatively). Maybe it would be better to make the increment/decrement for any value, no ? In that case going from 1 to 5 only need 4 pushed, which seems more logical to me.

That's a problem with your controller, not the implementation on the AxeFx. Set the IA switch to be non-latching and you only need to press it 4 times to go from scene 1 to 5.

No joke. I thought you had a GT-Pro, but the GT-8 is the same modeling, right?

I used the GT-Pro for a couple of years & was pretty satisfied with it. After 6 months of owning the Axe, I pulled out the GT-Pro yesterday and was really surprised at the difference. The Boss unit feels so flat now. And I haven't installed v9 yet. :)

The basic sound of the AFX II is just quality and depth - especially when you get into overdrive & distortion territory! I play my GT-8 every now and then (mainly for convenience), and no, it certainly does not have the same depth as the AFX. The only aspects that still sound very good to me are the clean sounds and the compression... I have probably spent 10 times more hours programming the GT-8 (over the years) than my AFX at this point, so my AFX sounds are still 'young' and developing, but I already love them (and so does our engineer), especially with 9.0!

I did a reinstall of the firmware and all is better, something was funky for sure.
I am glad it is fixed.
Chris

Maybe I needed to word this question better.
I am not saying that it is a case of the firmware just not suiting my taste or that I don't like it.
I am asking is it possible that while updating some parameter got set to a default or set in a strange way?
Example, could the noise gate have gotten turned up very high.
Like I said in my op 9 felt stiff not tighter but more strident, less sustain.
Has anyone else had this experience or might have any insite?
Thanks for your help
Chris

Ps I may try to reinstall the firmware later today and see what happens.

I find v9 beta rounder, fuller and sweeter. I noticed however, that my overdriven patches don't cut through the mix as well (v8 versus v9). They are a bit too gentle. When I switch between the v7, v8 and v9 modelling I can hear the reason for that. There is progressively less "junk" in my tone as I go from v7 to v8 to v9. The "junk" is not particularly pleasing on it's own, but it does put something into the sound that makes it stand out in the mix.

I like the purity of my v9 tones. The challenge is to do something that makes my overdriven tones cut again. I'm going to experiment with a bit of boost in the 2500Hz to 3500Hz range. I'm also going to experiment with the Cliff's cold bias suggestion.

Switching gears from overdrive to clean tones. . . . I have struggled getting a really nice, Fender Deluxe clean tone with v7 and v8. Using an Ownhammer Beta V2 Jensen P12N provided part of the solution. V9 has provided the other part. The "junk" that was there in v7 and v8 was holding me back from adding enough brightness. There would be a bite it the tone that bothered me. The purity of V9 has meant that I can get to the brightness I like, but without the bite / junk. I love it!

Terry.

Thanks for the quick response on this, Cliff. Now I can use scenes on my "dummy" MFC.
Would it be possible to dedicate a couple more CC numbers to direct scene access? That way, you could have direct access to four of the scenes (1, n, nn and 8 ), without stepping through them.

Last edited:
I have a few presets where the Scene field has junk characters at power on, manually changing it takes care of it; however, I've saved the preset numerous times in an attempt to default to #1 scene at no avail. Has anyone experienced this anomaly after V9b upgrade?

Thanks For the Beta Fw.9 (looking forward to the official FW) :)

It sounds soo good !!
Home run again FAS

2 questions:
1. When changing scene using the front panel the changes in the IA states are not reflected on the MFC. Is that normal?
2. Also, please correct me if I'm wrong: The best way to access scenes from the MFC is to assign a number of IA switches to NONE and then have these switches send out CC#34 with the appropriate (0-7) value? there's no "Scene Mode" on the MFC yet, right?
Thanks.

I apologize in advance for my redundancy if these questions have all been already answered.

Bump :)

1. For now: yes.
2. Correct: there's no scene mode on the MFC yet. Best is whatever suits your needs. Myself, I only use two scenes/patch right now so I've got one IA that sends 0 or 1. Consider putting multiple IAs in to a switch group since having only one active at a time makes sense with scene selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom