OH Cab newbie advice needed ;)

Hey guys,

Been creeping on this forum for about a week and a half (when I ordered the axe fx2:D) and decided to get some of the highly praised ownhammer cab IRs to go with it. Unfortunately, after my recent acquisition I'm pretty broke so I only got the tier 1 option.

That's where you more experienced guys come in: what 2 Ownhammer cabs would you recommend me getting for mainly rock to metal purposes? Anywhere from Boston to Blindside to A Day to Remember to Periphery to August Burns Red - I know that's quite a stretch tonally, but I usually play more heavy stuff. Any tips & Recommendations appreciated!

Thanks in advance :)

My personal opinion on what is currently out now:

412-GTR Bogner V31 (for rock)
412-GTR Mesa V32 (for metal)

These are also my biggest sellers by a pretty fair margin.

Now, going by what will come out in the quasi-near future, I would still stick with the 412-GTR Mesa V32 for metal, but depending on taste I'd say the 412-GTR Bogner V31 could get flipped to the 412-GTR Bogner 12H or 12M.

Just my 2 cents, however I'd wait to hear what others with an Axe and much more field experience than myself have to say on the matter.

My personal opinion on what is currently out now:

412-GTR Bogner V31 (for rock)
412-GTR Mesa V32 (for metal)
Just my 2 cents, however I'd wait to hear what others with an Axe and much more field experience than myself have to say on the matter.

I'd say your 2 cents go a pretty long way here. Those 2 were the cabs I figured were the best fit, just looking through the site. Confirmation is nice though.

I appreciate the quick replies gentlemen! I'll probably end up snagging Kevin's recommendation (i'll send you an email later about it). Although it will be interesting to see if other users chime in with different cabs.

Mesa V32 with Fathead
I like the V31 too for some combinations
Just made a V32 with a fathead 3 & SM57 3 and it sounds very good with a Strat & JVM410.
I like the V32's a lot and I use mainly medium gain Marshalls, Friedman HBE & Cameron High.

Great stuff Kevin, quick question though - and excuse my ignorance, but i'm guessing the Mesa V32 on your site isn't the same IR that's already in the axe fx 2? Attached is a screen shot of the AF2 cab wiki although I'm sure you know of it. Again, excuse the ignorance, just trying to get things straight :roll

Attachments

• jpg1.jpg
    jpg1.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 23
Definitely the mesa V32s for the metal stuff. Although you can still get a pretty awesome all-around metal/rock tone out of the beta Bogner V31s out right now. I managed to get a sweet Periphery tone out of them

Great stuff Kevin, quick question though - and excuse my ignorance, but i'm guessing the Mesa V32 on your site isn't the same IR that's already in the axe fx 2? Attached is a screen shot of the AF2 cab wiki although I'm sure you know of it. Again, excuse the ignorance, just trying to get things straight :roll

Honestly, I have no idea what it is. It could be Mesa V31, Mesa V32, or both combined, I wasn't really involved in that part of it.

FWIW, Mesa V32 is the 'stock' Recto cab. V31 is a speaker swap iteration.

Honestly, I have no idea what it is. It could be Mesa V31, Mesa V32, or both combined, I wasn't really involved in that part of it.

FWIW, Mesa V32 is the 'stock' Recto cab. V31 is a speaker swap iteration.

Since I'm now just getting on the IR bandwagon what do the V31, 32, etc numbers mean?

The Bogner V31 also has the room and farfield cabs, which I use on 90% of my presets together as a second stereo cabinet. C-1 and Room-1 to be exact.

Back
Top Bottom