Starter FRFR Speakers

Pestvic

I just read the stick about the FRFR speakers and that was GREAT. Now I'm thinking, if more users could post what FRFR speaker models worked for them or sounded great, then we can have a big list of great speakers for newer people like me and others to try!

I have some Peavy and JBL Speakers im going to try when I get my axe fx tomorrow.

BUT I was going to go to guitar center and try some out also. I wanted to buy the CFR12's (and probably will eventually) But for now I wanted to try something around the 200-400 range.

So, Anyone recommend a good speaker to start with?

I would recommend looking for a used QSC HPR122i.
You can find one for around $400 (maybe less) on Craigslist and GC. (I bought a pair last week for rehearsal speakers...for $750)
(my opinion)...I would go for this before trying JBL EON, JBL JRX, Behringer, Mackie SRM (which are other lower budget options).
The QSC HPR's in my opinion, are really great for the price.

If you wanted 'new' at a low price point, I would probably tell you to check out the EV Live-X series. Lots of guys on here are very happy with those, and they on the inexpensive side for a powered FRFR.

Hope that helps.

great info :) I'll look into these.

I realized I already own both pairs of these.
Ill have to try them when they come in.
Peavy PV115 x2
9668282C-BD01-41FF-A1FF-D78E276628BE-894-0000011AE1E498D6.jpg
891EF3DB-DF88-4701-8FD9-FA60F9EFA7EB-894-0000011AE664721F.jpg

JBL jrx100 x2
69051D33-7F5A-49C1-967F-0D838B4CB90C-894-0000011AD45FCD1E.jpg
797B1B4F-755D-4320-98EB-7F35F9A7622C-894-0000011AD95E1A1B.jpg

Any Opinions on these speakers?

I had luck with the pv12m's, in fact I liked them better than the k12's I had for some reason. I will be going back to the pv12m's until I decide to coaxial. To me the pv12m's sounded better and held more watts than the pv15.

You might have a look at the ALTO's TS112a powered speakers. I have not tried these yet so I don't have first hand experience but they do have my attention because of the good reviews they seem to be getting. As an inexpensive FOH speaker I can see where they might not be to bad as an entry level FR solution. They might suffice until you have the coin to blast on a better solution. There are a few on the board that are using them and like the results.

Thanks guys as soon as my amp comes in this Thursday ill go to guitar center and try those altos. They have them there. I'll try and film it to post as reference here

Hey guys, I was reading into the Matrix CFR12s and saw that they are only 260W RMS? How does this rating pair up to the 1000w Matrix GT1000FX? Does the 260W rms get louder than say a pair of Peavy 1000w wat FRFR speakers? How does this work? Thanks again guys.

Hey guys, I was reading into the Matrix CFR12s and saw that they are only 260W RMS? How does this rating pair up to the 1000w Matrix GT1000FX? Does the 260W rms get louder than say a pair of Peavy 1000w wat FRFR speakers? How does this work? Thanks again guys.

I believe the CRF rating is @ 8 Ohms. The Matrix is 325 Watts a side @ 8 Ohms max so its a pretty good match.

To do a comparison between the two you need to know all the info on both solutions, are they Bi-amped, full range, what's the sensitivity rating on the drivers... a lot of other factors come into play when you start comparing speakers not just how loud they can get rather how loud they can get before they clip or distort. Anything over 120dB is going to ruin your hearing anyway.

I believe the CRF rating is @ 8 Ohms. The Matrix is 325 Watts a side @ 8 Ohms max so its a pretty good match.

To do a comparison between the two you need to know all the info on both solutions, are they Bi-amped, full range, what's the sensitivity rating on the drivers... a lot of other factors come into play when you start comparing speakers not just how loud they can get rather how loud they can get before they clip or distort. Anything over 120dB is going to ruin your hearing anyway.

I understand :) I guess I meant it like which one would get louder for a Loud Metal Show environment.

I understand :) I guess I meant it like which one would get louder for a Loud Metal Show environment.

You could probably use ether one. The issue that you will run into is both solutions are designed more to be used as monitors and not so much a back line support. If all your playing is just metal what you could do is get a good power amp and a floor wedge (Matrix stuff) run that on one channel of the amp for your monitor. Then run a guitar cab as ether a side fill or back line on the other channel. This way your covered wether you have FOH PA or not.

Back
Top Bottom