Preset Switching Latency

rizzo

Inspired
When switching between presets there is a noticeable change almost a drop out if you will. Curious if that is just something that is a necessary evil? Not a huge deal, just one of the only negatives I have found in this killer unit.

mine is horrible use the fcb1010 it plays the new preset for a split second then pauses like a hiccup then kicks in!!!!!!!!!!!

The only time I exerience this is whenI have the USB cable connected and AXE Edit open. Is that the same for you?

A 20 or 30 ms dropout is unavoidable. Any shorter, and you get a thump or click when you change presets.

Still annoying though, esp. considering other older modellers didn't have the issue. My recommendation, look into X/Y switching. Not as flexible but a lot smoother.

Cheers.

Last edited:
I've never heard a processor that doesn't have at least a couple of dozen milliseconds of dropout.

Still annoying though, esp. considering other older modellers didn't have the issue. My recommendation, look into X/Y switching. Not as flexible but a lot smoother.

Cheers.

I don't think X-Y is any quicker.. you may perceive it as being smoother because you maintain the reverb / delay tails

it you want seemless switching, use two amp blocks within the same preset and set an IA or XS switch to cut between them by assigning their bypass [set to mute] to a modifier

I dont experience any noticable switching latency at all. Remember to not use too much CPU on presets you want to change instantly. Anything above 80-85% CPU will result in a serious latency, as the CPU does not have enough resources left to process the incoming midi commands after processing your sound (processing sound is the top priority thread; anything else will come after, including midi commands).

Also remember that the number of AMP blocks affects the switching latency. If one preset uses a high resolution AMP (only 1 AMP in the setup) and the other preset uses two low resolution AMPs, there is a very short latency because the AMP related memory needs to be cleared first [check the manual for this; it's written somewhere]. Try to not alternate between 1 and 2 amps used in all presets of your Song (you can also just place two Amps everywhere and bypass the unused).

Reduce the resolution of your CAB blocks and optimize the usage of Shunts if you don't want to remove anything.

Last edited:
if you create 'multi-functional' presets that can address all tonal requirements within a single song [or type of song]
then there is no need to change preset mid-song

this means that all effects blocks needed [active or not] are already loaded, processing and ready to go..
all changes will be seemless and instantaneous
delay and reverb tails will spill-over
delay times will not be altered after switching [so they sound more natural]

this means you change presets between songs rather than during them

the whole audio dropout thing [for X-Y and preset switching] becomes a non-issue

if you create 'multi-functional' presets that can address all tonal requirements within a single song [or type of song]
then there is no need to change preset mid-song

this means that all effects blocks needed [active or not] are already loaded, processing and ready to go..
all changes will be seemless and instantaneous
delay and reverb tails will spill-over
delay times will not be altered after switching [so they sound more natural]

this means you change presets between songs rather than during them

the whole audio dropout thing [for X-Y and preset switching] becomes a non-issue
This might work well if you only need the "pure" tone, overdrive and some simple effects, but if you want to use more effects and do more complicated stuff, you simply can not put everything into one setting due to the fact that even bypassed blocks use the CPU in its full scale (also, you only have 2 of each block anyway).

Switching presets mid-song on the Axe works 100% fine if you do it right. No popping, no latency. I always have up to 5 different presets for each song so I see no need to put everything into one and limit yourself with that.

you've not seen my presets then... lol...
it's not a simple 'pure tone' config..
there's a ton of functional goodies going on in these

how about these... each clip is of a single preset..

this is my principle riffing / soloing preset

this is my principle clean / soloing preset [nice for ballads]

this one riffs and solos, and does some cool synth-like stuff

this one is a variation of the clean / solo one

Thanks for all the responses. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong. The latency is horrible with Axe Edit but I try to use it as little as possible and there is still a small space between presets without it.. Nothing to lose sleep over though. First show next Wednesday opening for Hinder. I will post video.

Dropout is only 20-30 ms. If you are experiencing more than that then your MIDI controller is not programmed properly. Axe-Edit does introduce significant latency and drop-outs but that should be addressed with the new version.

so if I understand this correctly, is this an Axe-Edit improvement rather than something in the Axe [so the Axe drop is as it is now]?

anyways... sounds like a very cool improvement to me..
I'm really looking forwad to the new hot-rodded AE

Back
Top Bottom