Anyone using a Tech 21 Power Engine 60?

Wildwind

Experienced
I have one and used it very successfully with my Tech 21 Blonde, Ethos, and HD500. Now I did have to mess around with speaker sims on the HD - my FRFR default was too bright. But I actually preferred the PE60 over my FRFR.

I'm not having the same success with the Axe-Fx (though I only need the PE for the occasional outside gig so it's not a high priority). Mine is the current model, less than a year old. I have purchased the tweeter kit for it (just arrived today) to enhance the higher freqs. I realize this won't make it FRFR, but thought it might help.

I really like this unit's size, weight, and look - and really don't want to spend serious money on a FRFR solution. Any guidance?

I used my Tech21 Trademark 60's. Basically same with a solid state amp. I'm sure it colors my sound but it's good enough for me to practice and even for a small gig. Not sure about the PE60 but you do need an amp for that, right? or is it powered?

I used one for a while. I had to really jack the treble on the eq. I used it both with and without speaker sims and it was with an Ultra. I liked it well enough, though I felt limited as to what I could use for amps and cabs. I often wondered what it would sound like if I replaced the speaker with one of those Beyma coaxials, but never tried it.

It is a cool unit and it works like a traditional combo in that you get the sound spread which is excellent for small venue backline. It also weighs very little which I love. If I could have something that had the sound of my RCF NX10s, but the spread of the PE60, I'd be really happy.

dkijc - the PE60 is powered. It uses what I believe is the same power amp as the Trademark 60 (which I also owned). They are pretty different beasts IMO. I never had much success running my HD500 with the Trademark (also a recent model with the Celestion) and ended up selling it.

I'm not concerned about sound coloration. That actually seemed to be an advantage before.

Mikey - I did play with the PE's EQ quite a bit, but could not find the magic. I should set it up and try it again, but I do think I gave it a fair shot.

Obviously I'm trying to avoid separate cabinet sets just to accommodate this unit. At need I'll get rid of it and look elsewhere. But I really like having something that looks like a guitar cabinet on stage. A friend makes a very nice unit along the same lines, but it's a good bit heavier, far more powerful than I need, and about twice as expensive (despite him cutting me a deal). Until I can swing or justify one of those, I'm trying to make do.

I have a couple that I used for a while with the Beyma speakers for more of an FRFR thing and it worked very well. I moved to a QSC K10 for size considerations.

Is a coaxial full range speaker

http://profesional.beyma.com/ingles/pdf/12GA50.pdf

I use PE since 1996 for different purposes, loaded various speakers on it,one of this is the Beyma above,that transforms PE into a pretty decent and loud FRFR monitor on stage or home use, for this price range.(IMHO) If I want to use a guitar speaker loaded (as the stock speaker of yours) with modellers I turn off the cab sims.

Last edited:
I used a pair of the PE-60's for quite a while when I first got my Axe FX II. I thought they sounded pretty good, and I left the EQ square at the middle. I ran them unbalanced out of output 2 on the back. I didn't mind that they may have rolled of some high end - after all, guitar amps do as well. I did not disable the cabinet sims, as I found several combinations where they were complimentary to the PE-60's.

I recently upgraded to the RCF's (12") and I just adore those, but as you surmise, the price point is very different.

If you know anybody that's looking, these PE-60's are available ;)

BTW - I also have two Trademark 60's (LOVE them - very versatile) and a Bronzewood for acoustic work. I'm keeping them.

Pete

I just bought two mint condition for dirt cheap. They're so light and i only gigged once and it sounded great. I'm curious as to what they'll sound like without speaker sims...tell you next week. As someone above wrote for backline they have great throw! and did i mention they're light!

I am using one and love it but.... I have never played the AX through anything else so it might actually sound like shite and I don't know it.

I am using one and love it but.... I have never played the AX through anything else so it might actually sound like shite and I don't know it.

Assumer, are you running the cab sims on or off? Are you using the same presets for recording and live?

Also, I don't really do a lot of heavy stuff. Typically more classic rock so couldn't say how the real heavy sounds are.

With my HD500, it definitely sounded way better with cabinets turned on - just different cabs than what worked for FOH use. I need to experiment with the Axe-Fx in this same way, just haven't done it yet. I'm sure there's a way to make it work.

I did get the horn kit for it, haven't installed it yet. I need to explore that some more as well, but figure it can't hurt anything. I may even have a bypass installed.

Gigged last two days with a PE60. The tones are in there. Not perfect. The bass overtones are too much on some patches. Clean and crunch (Brit 800) were great.

Tech 21 Power Engine -

Gigged last two days with a PE60. The tones are in there. Not perfect. The bass overtones are too much on some patches. Clean and crunch (Brit 800) were great.

I am reading on this string that there may be some EQ issues between the Tech 21 and the FOH. Correct me if I am off, but this can be solved by creating a separate AMP block for the backline (Tech 21) and then EQ'ing that as needed. I am thinking of picking one up for on stage monitoring at a reasonable price.

Which brings up my next thought....

Why would you need a high end flat response, full frequency monitor for an on stage monitor when the AX will only be producing guitar frequencies? It's not like you are pumping bass or cymbals through the rig anyway. I must be missing something, and I would love to hear why you need a monitor system on stage that is capable of producing frequencies that will never be needed. Especially when looking at the huge cost difference.

When I asked that question, I was told "so what you are hearing in your PE matches up (better) with what everyone else hears in the house." If you're using the PE and not running into the house, it doesn't matter. And sometimes I do run that way.

Back
Top Bottom