Not a Bug Solo 88 Rhythm: Name and model accuracy?

guitarnerdswe

Fractal Fanatic
I know others have noticed this, but I might as well make it official. The name of the Solo 99 Rhythm amp is for some reason Solo 88 Rhythm in the Axe.

Also, I've noticed that the amp models sounds WAY different than it did in the Ultra/Standard days. It used to have tons of string separation and clarity, now it's a muddy mess. It sounds like the tone control is off, even with the bright switch on. The Solo 99 Lead used to be way fatter and smoother than the Solo 99 Rhythm, now it's the other way around. So, I'm pretty sure something is wrong. Either that, or the model was way off in the Ultra/Standard.

/Nick

We'll see if we can find a real one of these so that we can do an amp match. Not sure if Cliff currently has one in his collection.

We'll see if we can find a real one of these so that we can do an amp match. Not sure if Cliff currently has one in his collection.

Ah ok :) I was just surprised that the clean and lead channels sounded like they used to in the Ultra/Standard, but the rhythm was totally different.

However, if you ever are going to hunt something down, I'd suggest modelling the X88R, since that's far more common and both on all those 80s records and on the used market.

Solo 88 RHY is based on an X88R since the rhythm channel of an X99 is identical to an SLO 100 and you already have that. FWIW, I have two X88Rs and the model agrees with both.

Solo 88 RHY is based on an X88R since the rhythm channel of an X99 is identical to an SLO 100 and you already have that. FWIW, I have two X88Rs and the model agrees with both.

Ah, sorry then. Why did the X99 rhythm in the Standard/Ultra sound so different from the SLO100 model then? It was way cleaner and brighter, and had bright cap that wasn't on the drive pot.

Just a thought. If you have 2 X88Rs and no X99, why not replace the X99 clean and lead with the clean and lead from the X88R? The X99 might be rarer, but most would probably agree that the X88R is the one to have.

Just a thought. If you have 2 X88Rs and no X99, why not replace the X99 clean and lead with the clean and lead from the X88R? The X99 might be rarer, but most would probably agree that the X88R is the one to have.
I always prefered the 99 over the 88 actually.

Ok, there are always exeptions ;) My point was merely that the X88R is on tons of records, the X99 is not. People are always chasing those Luke and Landau tones for the 80s and early 90s, and those where all 88s.

Another vote for the X99 being the more useful model. No offense, but in this case I suspect that you're the exception.

Didn't know that the X99 rhythm is identical to the SLO.

Well, if you search the forums round the internet you'll find a different story ;) Besides, Luke and Landau used the X88R, and that's all that matters right? ;)

Back
Top Bottom