Sounds like The Shadows

AAEN

Experienced
I am receiving my AXE and MFC today.

I am going to show it to some of my collegues They(Older ones) are definately going to ask:

Can it make a great Shadows sound(Hank Marvin)? for them it is the do or die of the AXE- or any oyher setup for that matter.

So I am wondering if any of you has worked in this direction? And maybe would share some tips. AMP, Delay, Cab settings(EFTP - like)

Greetings

AAEN

I have heard it do the job. I actually own the old zoom (508 is it?) which has all the patches loaded. There is also a spreadsheet available of it somewhere. I should really give it a go.

There's one in smilefan's patches that reminds me of them.
But surely, we can do much better with the tape delay and more exact settings now.

I had been looking into it a month ago here: - Home
Specifically: http://www.tvsspecialtyproducts.com/page8.htm
Lots of good info and vids there, but haven't gotten to programming it yet...

These were some of my notes:

- uses 13 - 56 strings
- dead strings are sometimes better, esp. D string
- bright pickups (mostly bridge only; never used neck PU on last tour)
- hard pick, does a lot of up-picking!
- often plays slightly damped on bridge
- VOX AC 15 w British Celestion Blue (Normal ch. for early stuff; later on Top Boost)

- After recording yourself, often a low cut is needed between 100 - 500 Hz
If you use reverb at all: use 800Hz low cut on reverb and around 8 à 10kHz hi cut.

- Peace Pipe used neck PU w. low cut.

- Atlantis uses 3 different echo parts. The main one is a good generic echo for most Shadows stuff, though Apache really needs its own one. (one guy in the videos only uses 3 echo styles to cover "all songs")

- Binson Echorec differed from unit to unit, but one best for The Shadows seemed to have ca 77ms between heads. (also used by Pink Floyd)
- Binson EC3 is about 75ms
- Roland Space Echo RE-201 (slightly metallic) (used on Apache & Atlantis in 1975 concert; Don't Cry For Me Argentina, '79 Cavatina, Heart of Glass, ...) & 301 (life in the jungle album & live ...?, Hello, ...)
- from Apache to Blue Star, 1960-61: Meazzi 1: 5 heads spaced unequally w different output levels.
- Wonderful Land: Meazzi Echomatic 2 : 4 heads with unequal intervals. 3 of them w. fixed level towards each other but could be varied in group versus the other head.
- Meazzis had a woody & organic sound, distorting & compressing when driven hard.

- Hank doesn't like 'wow & flutter' and nowadays prefers to play without it if simulated on digital units.

- Also used Boogie IIc, Matchless, ...

After reading the above, I wonder if stuff like this has any relation to it at all...
Hank Marvin Patches

Last edited:
Hmm..I decided to try and quickly set up a preset from scratch to see if I could 'remember' their sound in my head from years ago. Not sure how close I got... This is just a tweak, sit down, one shot take... Had to remember how to play it...I think this was the first song I ever recorded back in high school in 1980!

Please excuse the clams - like I said, I haven't played this in over 30 years! I surprised myself that I still remembered where the notes were!

I've attached the preset to this post. I'd appreciate if the experts could let me know how to improve on it...

Attachment: View attachment Shadows Strat.syx

That's sounding almost completely dry here? I guess you couldn't afford the delays 30 years ago? ;)
What strikes me is how loud & wet the delays are in the originals.

Hahaha - I wound the mix on the delay and trem right back... But you are right, in thinking back, the delay was quite high on that track IIRC...

Ketil Strand - He nailed the song and the sound. It's in part 1 on youtube. Also flashes on screen what he used to achieve it.

Just type this in youtube search or google:

(R)evolution of Rock Guitar-Fractal Audio Axe-Fx Ultra Preamp/Effects processor-Part I -Ketil Strand rednebb

Last edited:
Ketil Strand - He nailed the song and the sound.
It's close enough to convince your mother (maybe), but IMO that's not "nailing it".
The original has the taps much louder and they sound tape delayish.
Ketil seems kinda faking that by using the tremolo arm to a believable comparable rhythm.
Anyway, the II can possibly do way better and it shouldn't need a reverb either, if I understood it right.
If it can genuinely copy it, I'm not even sure atm.

And even if it can, this would only be the special delay for Apache.
It might be better to have the one for general use they're talking about.

Ketil gets close for sure, but not really close enough. Need to find a die hard hank fan from somewhere I think. Maybe I will have a long play wit the tape delay soon.

Dear AEEN,

I am certain that I can make some super Shadows Echo and amp sounds just like Hank Marvin for the AXE-FX II.

I have already done it for the TC Electronics model D-TWO, Yamaha Magicstomp, even the old Roland GP-100.

People who are not major players probably don't know of me, suffice it to say my guitar programming has resulted in two Grammy award winning albums, and a host of famous players who know who to go to when they need to nail a certain sound.

I will be getting the AXE-FX II in March and will have patches for sale on eBay following shortly, at a very affordable price.

If you wish to contact me please do so.

Dave Bliss
blissmusic@hotmail.com

Nothing wrong in making an advertisement of your self.

If you really make a difference in programming patches, I see no problem in selling them.

If anyone can get PATCHES for free, by all means do that. I do that myself.

Looking forward to listen to samples of your work.

AAEN

Ha ha, very good, glad you have a sense of humour like me.

People who are not major world leaders probably don't know me, but I'm the King of San Salvador. Despite my Royal heritage, I still share my presets for free, because that's the way we do it around here ;)

I submit this as a reply.:

I like your dry and sartorial wit.

Regarding things in life ....Anthing you can get for nothing goes to show just what it's true worth is.

Many people even skilled pro guitarist don't have a clue about getting a good sound, hence they employ skilled guitar techs, to do all the donkey work for them, and to great effect.

Take for example Phil Taylor, Dave Gilmore's tech, a very very knowledgable man, who is definately the magician behind the famous Gilmore sound.

I have worked with guitarists who can play the hell out of anything I can do, yet still can't even tune their guitars correctly.

Seems that everybody has something to offer, programming skills and a great ear for sound is a rare gift.

If you want to grow old learning the science of replicating vintage sixties echo sound, good luck, but it's a hard climb.

Anybody who has spent nearly 10 years perfecting their programming skills, like me, should rightfully expect to be paid for his expertise.

I guess we will see what goes, when I post up some sound samples.

This community is very new to me, and I don't wish to join in being the whipping boy for playground bullies and smart cool dudes.

Please show a little respect as I would towards you.

Dave.

Thanks for your less abrasive comments.

I would be pleased to correspond with you further.

I get my first AXE-FX II in about 2 weeks from now.

Sound samples for Shadows songs , should be up and running within hours of getting it.

Best wishes,

Dave.
PS: Do you know Kim Larsen's guitarist, he is a great player?

how about using the tone matching features of the AXE FX II(firmware 6.0)?Will it nail the exact tone?I will receive my brand newAXE FX II very soon, next May

APACHE - Shadows Echo Sound on AXE FX II

Dear AEEN,

I am certain that I can make some super Shadows Echo and amp sounds just like Hank Marvin for the AXE-FX II.

I have already done it for the TC Electronics model D-TWO, Yamaha Magicstomp, even the old Roland GP-100.

People who are not major players probably don't know of me, suffice it to say my guitar programming has resulted in two Grammy award winning albums, and a host of famous players who know who to go to when they need to nail a certain sound.

I will be getting the AXE-FX II in March and will have patches for sale on eBay following shortly, at a very affordable price.

If you wish to contact me please do so.

Dave Bliss
blissmusic@hotmail.com

Here is the link to my Version Of APACHE 1960 Shadows sound using VOX AC-15 and Meazzi Echo Effect.

G66 - DAVE BLISS FROM TENERIFFA - AXE-FX II

Hope this is of help to other trying to get this sound.

Dave.

Free Dhadows Patches for AXE FX II

Hello,

Welcome to my free release of Shadows Echoes for AXE-FX II.

Although this machine is not ideally suited to reproducing multihead tape echo delays, like TC model D-Two for example.

The results from the AXE-FX II are really quite pleasing.

This is a work in progress project and the sounds can only get better as I find my way of tweaking them.

In the meantime please enjoy.

I would welcome any feedback, suggestions etc.

Dave Bliss

BLISS MUSIC

blissmusic.co.uk - Making Music Better
email: blissmusic@hotmail.com

18 July 2012.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
View attachment WONDERFUL LAND BRIGHTER.syx
View attachment APACHE ECHO 2.syx
View attachment APACHE ECHO 1960.syx
View attachment ATLANTIS 2 MEAZZI.syx
View attachment ATLANTIS ECHO.syx
View attachment ATLANTIS ECHO + DIST.syx
View attachment SHADOWS ECHO VERSATILE.syx
View attachment WONDERFUL LAND ABBEY RD.syx

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sounds very close to the early Shadows.

Good job!

AAEN

just got my axe fx 2 couple days ago. i have an alesis quadraverb gt loaded with the "echoes from the past" shadows echo patches by charlie hall. i've seen a couple tutorials on youtube regarding tone matching, but was wondering if it is possible to connect the alesis unit to my axe fx and clone the echo effects from it?

Back
Top Bottom