Static IR versus The new dynamic IR?

Now here's a question I have - does the difference represent a more realistic representation of a speaker's true behavior, or is it just a shift in eq?
According to a well-known (to forumites) speaker expert:
Its yet another way to add distortion to guitar sounds. It is not a realistic representation of the contribution of the speaker to the sound of amplified guitar.

Yeah, I remember Jay touching on the subject. And I have a great deal of respect for his speaker knowledge, especially since he is not trying to sell anything!

The point of my (rhetorical) question was this - if you convince people there is a difference, whether or not that difference is a result of improved accuracy, the people will jump on board to buy the product.

Also, the placebo effect is mighty strong!

After working with Recabinet's speaker dynamics over the weekend, I'm not convinced this will be the end all be all for me, not to mention being forced to use the installed impulses do not work for me. For me, it's still not a 100% faithful reproduction of a cabinet, but it's this thinking that will eventually get us there, (not - it's fine the way it is). For me, impulses are great, but there's something about a real miced cab that's just right. I feel the emulation of the speaker cab is the weakest link in the digital domain. I really do hope we can eventually get there digitally someday.

Don't forget that there is speaker drive simulation in the amp block. I put it there so that you wouldn't have to keep adjusting it when you change the output level of the amp block. If it were in the cab block it would be a function of the level into the cab block.

In retrospect I probably should've put the motor drive in the amp block too for the same reason.

Anywho.... speaker drive in conjunction with motor drive can be used to add both amplitude and frequency distortion. Speaker drive models the amplitude distortion created by the nonlinear speaker transfer function and motor drive models the frequency distortion due to voice coil heating/cooling.

I really know next to nothing about this subject, but it does seem to have some possible merit. As I said, I really don't know what I am talking about, but I am interested in this subject, so don't rip me too big of a new one! LOL! Also, maybe I'm deaf, but I could not hear any difference between the first set of low gain clips, but I could hear a slight difference in the high-gain clips.

I was looking at frequency responses of speakers (although they were near field monitors which are meant to be flat) and saw some discrepancies between lower output levels and higher output levels.

It was in this article:
ESI nEar 05 eXperience Active Studio Near-Field Monitors

Although I realize that this is a completely different beast, perhaps this is relevant to guitar speakers as well. Since IRs seem to me as though they are simply spectrum analyses in the form of a spectrograph, then it seems as though perhaps a spectrogram could be used with the third axis being that of volume or dB or output (I really don't know what the term is).

As I say, I really don't know much at all about this subject, so I could be talking out of my *ss, but perhaps it is something like that, and possibly the differences are more pronounced in guitar speakers. Even if it is not all that obvious, there may be some merit, as people seem to have very sensitive ears and hear things that I can't. I just think it is an interesting topic, and being kinda nerdy, I like to think about such subjects, so be gentle when you tear me apart! :)

Thanks for the explanations of motor drive and speaker drive, Cliff. Maybe these are what the OP article are discussing in all actuality, and perhaps that is what is happening in the article I read.

This forum is awesome, because we can actually receive responses from the engineer of the Axe and we can discuss the craziest, off-the-wall stuff.

speaker drive in conjunction with motor drive can be used to add both amplitude and frequency distortion. Speaker drive models the amplitude distortion created by the nonlinear speaker transfer function and motor drive models the frequency distortion due to voice coil heating/cooling.

Can this be added to the wiki? I know I'll want to read this again later & won't be able to find it. :)

I was looking at frequency responses of speakers (although they were near field monitors which are meant to be flat) and saw some discrepancies between lower output levels and higher output levels.
Those are charts of distortion, not frequency response. IOW, plots of the nonlinear portion of the response, showing that it is in fact nonlinear (i.e. varies with gain). I'm not sure that measurements of inexpensive monitors, taken with a cheap mic, are particularly meaningful. In any case, IRs only capture the linear portion of the response.

Back
Top Bottom