OwnHammer Room and Far Field IR's

The "no mic" is a setting in the AxeFx Cab block.

It is not specific to the IR or the way the IR was captured.

Richard

It would be great to hear the FF through your on stage FRFR monitors and the FOH to receive the NF like in real life.
You could set this up on the Axe-FX, but I don't think there would be a benefit. Sending a NF tone to the FOH would require the sound man to shape your tone. You've already done this, as part of builing your Axe-FX patch. Conversely, sending the same tone to your FRFR stage monitors AND to FOH means he hears what you hear. The FOH is after all, FRFR. Perhaps some room compensation will be required, but that is all that will have to be done.

Terry.

I think you are saying the TC30 is a neutral mic that could be used when no mic coloration is wanted...which is what Scott has suggested as a starting point when dialing an amp and cab in the axe 2....right?
That is correct.

Terry.

Sorry for the late reply, I've been a busy bee...

As the others have said, what Scott was referencing was the Axe-Fx's ability to add additional mic simulation tone shaping/alteration to the cab IR. Setting it to none disables this feature and leaves the sound as is.

A quick progress update to anyone keeping an eye on this thread, I had a couple seconds to put together a quick demo of an early Back of Cabinet IR. As indicated by the comments, the order of the tracks are:

SM57 only | Back of Cabinet only | both together

The time is near, if all goes according to plan with no interruptions I should have the updated Bogner V31 and Mesa V32 done and on the site by next Friday. :)

In the following example, I'm demonstrating how the tail length truncation affects the overall sound. As indicated in the comments, in the first half the tail is full at 500 ms; in the second half it is truncated to 42 ms. This will show the difference between using the full wave audio file or Nebula program in the DAW vs what can be expected coming out of the cab block in the Axe-Fx II. The tone is retained, however you lose most of the room reflections, as to be expected.

Innocent question

Due to the 2048 length limit on the Axe FX 2 , I lose the roominess of the real cab to certain extend?

Thanks fo an answer

Roland

Innocent question

Due to the 2048 length limit on the Axe FX 2 , I lose the roominess of the real cab to certain extend?

Thanks fo an answer

Roland

You don't get 'roominess' from the Axe-FX cab block through the IR's - they are too short to contain the 'room' as you note.

thunder100 said:

You don't get 'roominess' from the Axe-FX cab block through the IR's - they are too short to contain the 'room' as you note.

Of course, there are other options that are more flexible, IMHO:
- Use the room settings in te cab block to add room reflections
- Use reverb for ambience
- Play in a room (sorry, couldn't resist :D)

I found that Ultra had more "room" which cannot be correct as it was only 1024 long.So I must have somewhat cheated then
:eek:ops

Of course, there are other options that are more flexible, IMHO:
- Use the room settings in te cab block to add room reflections
- Use reverb for ambience
- Play in a room (sorry, couldn't resist :D)

And forget IR and play through a tube power amp and a Recto 4 x 12 also gives you room-->I know

Just try to learn something as my above option does not work at small venues(unless you never want to come back)

:evil

Roland

Last edited:
The time is near, if all goes according to plan with no interruptions I should have the updated Bogner V31 and Mesa V32 done and on the site by next Friday. :)

Update: I've been horrendously sick this week. What I have (and unfortunately what I get at least a half dozen to a dozen times a year, it seems) has gotten bad enough to affect my hearing, so I don't feel comfortable putting any final stamps on anything until the meds kick it. In addition to that, I've been experimenting and contemplating, and I'm going to expand a few things which will require a little more work, nothing major but very useful nonetheless. Looking at end of next week to roll out as a result of the aforementioned, but I'll also have time to put together the first revision of the PDF manual for the WAV libraries to go along with it as well. This will help explain the new additions and give a little more insight as a whole to those who don't necessarily know or fully understand my angle on this piece of the tone puzzle, and for those that do I guess it will give you something to do for 15 minutes if you're bored. :lol

Kevin, get well soon and looking forward to hearing what you've done. Thanks so much for pushing the envelope on this part of technology, I am not alone in expressing my gratitude on the work you are doing. It is appreciated.

Kevin, get well soon and looking forward to hearing what you've done. Thanks so much for pushing the envelope on this part of technology, I am not alone in expressing my gratitude on the work you are doing. It is appreciated.

+1

Far field IR's are the "next step" in a long chain of wonderful events and tech breakthroughs!!

Richard

I had a couple seconds to put together a quick demo of an early Back of Cabinet IR. As indicated by the comments, the order of the tracks are:

SM57 only | Back of Cabinet only | both together

I REALLY like the sound of the combination of front & back mics!

Just caught this update. Hope you get well soon Kevin.

I've got a major patch restructure ahead for my cover band, KTO, I'm hoping to make these a part of it.

I bought these a little over a week ago and have been really enjoying the hell out of them. Thanks again! The 412 Bogner V31 FF's are amazing. :D

Thanks for the well wishes everybody, much appreciated! :)

I bought these a little over a week ago and have been really enjoying the hell out of them. Thanks again! The 412 Bogner V31 FF's are amazing. :D

I actually haven't released the far fields yet, so I now know I should point out a spot of possible of confusion until I get the update out. In that library and the Mesa V32, position numbers with an F after it are Fat1, with an FF are Fat2. I devised that 6 months before these Far Fields were conceived, so what you're actually using are the double fat near fields. The Fat stuff has seen a big overhaul/improvement as well, and I'll release info on that soon. Glad you're digging those though! There are a few things I need to reply to on the board but I need to save that for when I'm not battling over the keyboard with my 3 year old...

Last edited:
Thanks for the well wishes everybody, much appreciated! :)

I actually haven't released them yet, but I now know a point of confusion I need to address until I get the update out. In that library and the Mesa V32, position numbers with an F after it are Fat1, with an FF are Fat2. I devised that 6 months before these Far Fields were conceived, so what you're actually using are the double fat near fields. The Fat stuff has seen a big overhaul/improvement as well, and I'll release info on that soon. Glad you're digging those though! There are a few things I need to reply to on the board but I need to save that for when I'm not battling over the keyboard with my 3 year old...

That'll teach me to glance through threads!

The ones I'm talking about are easily the best sounding impulses I've ever used. I can't say enough good things about them for anyone with an FRFR setup - it's a night and day difference in how full things sound. (Pardon the minor derail) Now I REALLY can't wait for you to release these.

(Kick that flu in the ass, man!)

Back
Top Bottom