FOH/CAB Patch help......

Kyle.E.Woyote

Inspired
Hey guys, could really use some help and input...

Since I've received the Axe in December I've been been literally up every single night playing and tweaking to a fault till pretty much 2-3 a.m..really. I'll try not to ramble on, which I have a tendency to do.

It has become a frustrating experience dialing in tones (my fault) due to the simple fact I'm at home with crappy headphones while my rig sits at our drummers home (full on soundproof studio) making it difficult to find time to get over there and really sit down with what I mainly intend it for,...downsizing my rig and playing it live.

Being in an 80's Metal Tribute (We play Iron Maiden to Priest, to Ratt,to Whitesnake, etc etc..you get the idea) so that mid-range Marshall style with balls is what I'm targeting...I'm sitting on the HBE at the moment.

Gear (The basic idea) is:

2 Basswood guitars,maple necks (w/Tone Zone/Air Norton) and 1 Swamp Ash, rosewood neck (Stock pickups), power is the return of a Peavey JSX 120 Head, and into a Silver Marshall Jubilee 4x12(if that has any bearing on tone there)

The ultimate setup for me is a FOH/Poweramp+Cab setup (depending on venue size of course) as well as IEM system too.

I've thought of, and trying to plan a tech-day with our sound man to help dial it in, but once again time, setup etc is a pain in the ass to organize (not to mention a good sized location to crank it) Otherwise it has been make patches that I "think" sound killer, to get to reharsal to find out they are a shrilly mess.

So rip it apart, rebuild it (especially those playing live) and repost please!! Tomorrow is practice so I'll be trying the HBE model for the first time in a mix with them, hopefully this one works out.

Many, Many thanks guys if you have time to check 'em 'n crank 'em in a FRFR setting as well as thru a cab maybe too!!!..

I really don't enjoy asking for help, but this has honestly been draining me...:?

Attachments

• Main.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 135
  • Lead.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
well, I cant crank it up atm, but at bedroom volume they are sounding pretty good. I will get back to you in the morning after everyone is awake. :)

Well, I just turned it up, LOUD AS HELL, and they both sound good. Great even.
Using the rig in my sig + a guitar with EMG 808's.

Hmmmm, interesting..and thank you again for taking the time..

We use an IEM system now live, as well as in rehearsal, so I know the Shure buds I'm using are not the best way to judge/tweak to a listeners perspective, but if it sounds liveable that takes some of my worry having to do "major" tone adjustments gig time..which is a blessing for my panic ridden,ocd nature...lol...

Another thing I was going to mention is, taking a look at the patch is there a way to "wire" up so I can have the Reverb/Delay blocks through my cabinet?

I like the way they sit pre fxl block, but coming out of my cab the dryness is feeling a little "meh" at volume (especially lack of a delay)....

I tried the patches tonight (but not at gig volume, that day will come on Friday...) and they sound superb on my rig. Both keepers, definitely. Thank you very much for a great lesson in patch making. I'm just learning Thin Lizzy's version of Bob Seger's 'Rosalie' which will be the first song that I'll be using them on. Cheers!

Another thing I was going to mention is, taking a look at the patch is there a way to "wire" up so I can have the Reverb/Delay blocks through my cabinet?

I like the way they sit pre fxl block, but coming out of my cab the dryness is feeling a little "meh" at volume (especially lack of a delay)....
I was thinking the same thing last night. Not sure, I will have to look again.

In my experience the Shure IEM's really lack in delivering the sonic quality the Axe delivers. I was using them in church until I got a set of Westone IEM's. MAN! what a difference! Have you thought of trying different IEM's? Great investment in inspiring tone.
Rock on man, patches sound great.

Agreed on the ear buds,...initially we all started with PSM200's? and the accompanying buds(horrible)...we've moved to SE425's and 525's?...which was a huuuuge improvement and made playing much more livable for sure.

Thanks on the patches, I can't really take much credit as they are all bits and pieces of existing patches here on the forum, just put into an order that works for me live.....have I said I love this forum?

I think so?

Hello,

I didn't actually listen to your main-patch yet, but I did look closely at your settings vis Axe-Edit, and I noticed that since you are using a MONO output (I.E. all pan-assignments are "right-up-the-middle" in your reverb-block, delay-block, AND your Axe-FX II output-mixer.) That surprised me a bit, since I figured with your parallel splits of dry/reverb/delay all hitting the mixer's input in parallel, that you were gonna be doing something of a stereo/panning nature, if you know what I mean?!? With pan-assignments "mono-up-the-middle," I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to just move your reverb & delay-blocks "back" in your layout (pre FX-Loop) so that you get your ambience in your stage-cab/monitor as well as your main-outputs (FOH.) To fascillitate such a change, I would consider "serializing" your ambience (delay & reverb) blocks pre FX-Loop, as opposed to trying to take advantage of that parallel-split idea you had going after your CAB-block and into the mixer's input-section...

Know what I mean?

Bill

Yes, gotcha there...I will look into that when home...thanks for pointing it out..

My only answer is, I believe the tail end of that chain is morph from a Mark Day preset (I think) pre firmware 4.0, and sounded pretty large...it has just simply stayed in the chain since as is, with a delay time change,and hall 'verb/time change as well...

I really don't enjoy asking for help, but this has honestly been draining me...:?
Kyle, I know this doesn't really help you a lot at the moment, and I apologize in advance for that, but ... OMG THANK YOU! You just made my evening! This is the first high gain patch/preset I audition that actually works on my rig. I'm going to analyse the hell out of this thing :). It brings the clarity, punch and tightness that is missing in all the presets and patches I've downloaded up until know. Also I turned it up loud and it doesn't get harsh quickly, stays pretty smooth. I'm jamming out this weekend, will let you know how it stacks up at even higher volumes.

Listening to the preset out of the box it does come across as allround to me (in terms of the frequency balance); could be that it would benefit from a bit less bass, and more mids to better cut in a band context, but take this with a grain of salt I'm very new to all this... .

FYI tried it through a Seymour Duncan JB humbucker, effects return of an old 100W Valvestate and a 1960a cab.

Thanks again! You should ask for help more often, all the while posting patches, you're doing a great service to the community :razz.

Hahahaha! That is awesome it works for you!..I love when there is dicussions like this on here.
Any patch I've tried here has always needed a tweak here or there to suit my particular setup, as I'm sure all others too, but having that jumpstart is very nice in the pursuit of that tone you seek.

At rehearsal I found myself, bumping mids and backing off treble but hovering around 5.0....I also, as per Scott Peterson bumped the cab block/motor drive to about half,...added nice bounce.

On the lead channel, check out the trem patch. Using the MFC in the mode where u need to hold the switch down to keep it engaged(forget term) and turns off when you lift foot off switch.
I've been using this for when playing the solo for Rebel Yell's raygun effect.
Any tips to get closer there would be awesome too. In the mix of a show, it gets the point accross to the drunkards, but could be better.

I previously activated it on my GSP1101 rig similarly by using the expression pedal on the control 2 the same way, pedal up is off, pedal down activates the raygun.

Sorry, typing this on my blackberry and this has taken 1/2 hour to type out..so grammer and walls of text are expected...hahahahaha....

Last edited:
The two with your name in it are exactly the same, with the exception of having reverb and delay also going through your cab.
The other two are for fun. Hope you enjoy.

Attachments

• New Lead--MAN.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 75
  • New Main--MAN.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 73
  • NewLeadWoyote.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 78
  • NewMainWoyote.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 98
The two with your name in it are exactly the same, with the exception of having reverb and delay also going through your cab.
The other two are for fun. Hope you enjoy.

Funeral this new lead patch you did is a perfect Vinnie Moore "Maze" album patch.
I just did a very minor top end tweak on it (very minor)
I was just jamming to "The Thinking Man" and it's almost perfect!
thanks! :D

Funeral this new lead patch you did is a perfect Vinnie Moore "Maze" album patch.
I just did a very minor top end tweak on it (very minor)
I was just jamming to "The Thinking Man" and it's almost perfect!
thanks! :D
NP, thanks for trying them.

Went to rehearsal tonight alone to tweak a bit before a couple shows coming up, and I got to crank it at gig volume to try and dial in the "Power-Amp/Cab" side of the patch. (Which is, AxeFX into the return of a Peavey JSX 120 and out to a Marshall Jubilee 4x12)

I left a little,..meh. I couldn't quite dial in a tone I was satisfied with to go live with yet. It had oomph, definitely had clarity (maybe too much?) but had this wafer thinness and high end to it somewhere. Not the whole tone, but a thinness/high end I couldn't locate with the Global 2 EQ to dial out. I yanked out 16k completely, 8k as well. I bumped 2k and 4k (seemed to remove,or maybe it was masking that hi-end I was hearing) and this helped to open it a bit coming out of the cab.

At least I think it did, maybe ears where getting fatigued at this point. I was judging this about 15-20ft away, off axis of the cab a bit.

Does anyone here, running a PowerAmp into a Marshall Cab have any frequencies that you find work, or need to be removed in "general" with the Global2 EQ?

Any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated...

*Post Gig Update* FOH/CAB Patch help.....

Well I took the AxeII on it's first live gig on the weekend...

Soundcheck, sound man running through line checks,.drums...keys,..other guitar player (using Marshall JMP-1 in 4cm with a GSP1101)..Boom!! sounds incredible, huge sound chalk full o' balls.....snickering to myself, just wait till it's my turn,....

I get the call, hit a chord, chug-chug a bit.....thin, way too bright,flat, blah.

Needless to say, I had the wind taken right out of my sails. The balls ,and girth I had running my GSP1101 in 4cm w/Peavey JSX, was no where to be found running direct to board.

Please understand this IS NOT an AXE-FX bash!!..I just haven't unlocked what's needed to make it sound as big as my counterpart.

I'm tempted to go back to the GSP setup with another gig this weekend, but I'd rather get this worked out.

Anyone see something I'm missing in the op patch? Too much distortion, wrong model? kill the presence on the amp stack?..I can't see those tweaks making it do a 180 turn tonally, but any and all input is always appreciated..

My only saving grace this past gig was the tonal bliss I had in my in-ears, it was killer. I just enjoyed that, with hopes our soundman made it decent FOH.

I have all the OwnHammer library as well, so maybe a cab change, or recomendation is a step in the right direction....

Many thanks in advance all,

Kyle.

Back
Top Bottom