2 Guitars 1 Axe-FX II - Updated, in-depth

chris

Owner's Manual Reader
Hey guys, I've gotten a bunch of PMs and messages on Youtube asking about my previous video on how to use 2 guitars or an Electric and Piezo signal with one Axe-FX. I updated the method and explain setting it up step by step on my blog. I'll be doing a video hopefully tomorrow.

Axe-FX II – Using 2 guitars at once | Katsu Kuri Media Blog

I'm attaching the preset here, my first time so hopefully it works! Good luck and thanks for reading.

I hope to be adding more in-depth blog posts like this explaining how I use the Axe-FX II and answers to common questions and topics on the wiki!

EDIT - Here is the video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD62Yng1IcY

Last edited:
I posted a wishlist item for separate L-R gate control at the input specifically for piezo setups. This would eliminate the need to use two gates in the chain. Very good write man. You helped me with my piezo setup on my Ultra about a year ago. I can't wait to try the MBC. Believe it or not I have yet to use the MBC at all!!! Not on my Ultra or my II.

I always use two amps for mags and piezo setups. I'll give this patch a shot when I get home. Thanx for posting!!!

I'm a high gain djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

I run a similar setup, except that I use two volume/pan blocks instead of the mixer blocks. All you have to do is set the input select on the blocks to "left only" for electric and "right only" for piezo. Works great. I am using this method since there are four available volume/pan blocks and only two mixer blocks.

i'll try that later today, stringer.

didn't post in the OP because i'll be doing more posts on my blog. trying to get the ball rolling!

the MBC is great, but can take some time to figure out. i use mine basically to clamp down on the low end. the mid range i just have slight compression, like a normal compressor might be set, and a bit more on the highs so it doesn't get shrill when i play loud.

again, i used to use the 2 amps when i first got the axe ii, but that high res amp mode... well worth it to use just one amp!

i'll try that later today, stringer.

didn't post in the OP because i'll be doing more posts on my blog. trying to get the ball rolling!

the MBC is great, but can take some time to figure out. i use mine basically to clamp down on the low end. the mid range i just have slight compression, like a normal compressor might be set, and a bit more on the highs so it doesn't get shrill when i play loud.

again, i used to use the 2 amps when i first got the axe ii, but that high res amp mode... well worth it to use just one amp!

Do you find that your piezos sound better by not using an amp block? I have what I think is a REALLY nice piezo sound using a MKI clean sound. On my Ultra I tried not using an amp for piezos and I felt it was missing a LOT. I use to a volume block in parallel with my piezos cab block to let more of that piezo presence through.

Sent from my iPod.

Do you find that your piezos sound better by not using an amp block?

To be honest, I do miss using the Tube Preamp with my piezo and haven't gotten that exact tone yet with EQ and the MBC. But the benefit of the High Res Amp mode with my electric tones are way more important to me. I think just a little more work on the piezo sound and I'll get it. I didn't have luck using electric guitar amps with the piezo, but I think it depends on what piezo system you are using.

Updated the blog with using Volume Blocks instead of Mixers, and clarified using 2 Amps as well. As stringer76 said, there are 4 available volume blocks, but only 2 mixers. So if Mixers are important to your normal patch, you may want to use the Volume Blocks instead to split the signal. The CPU increases about .8 when using Volume Blocks instead of Mixers.

I'll try to make the video today and cover everything.

Last edited:
I wanted to post a recording but I didn't have the time. I hVent had a ton of time to devote to a/b'ing the hi-Res feature. I can say that I have trouble hearing any difference with the JCM 800 Mod amp. That being said, for me, having two amps (mag and piezo) is an absolute essential. I tried using the MBC and enhancer and was not satisfied. I did like what the enhancer did though. I just feel that the amp and cab are far too important to the tone and feel of my piezo setup. Without them I felt there was no life in them at all. Can you post a patch that you have extensively tweaked? I'd like to give your setup one more try. FWIW, the guitar I was testing on had the LR Baggs X-Inserts and Control-X preamp.

Sent from my iPod.

i recently added the FET Boost Drive block and it fattens up my tone the same way the tube preamp did. i'd love to hear a recording of your piezo sound when you can. i'll be posting a video in just a bit and it has a couple of my patches played for a bit. I wanna say bit one more time. Bit. Shoot that was 2x. oh well. bit.

just added the youtube video that walks through each step.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD62Yng1IcY

Last edited:
hey dude, your work is so much helpfull!! but i have a problem, i can't setup my preset for two guitars on my Ultra. Guitars either sound together from both L and R channels, or one guitar just disappears...could you help me out with that? maybe i can send you a patch, and you'll figure out, whats wrong. thanks a lot.

Hmm, I was pretty sure this new video and method should work on the ultra as well. Lemme check on that in a little while.

Did you adjust your I/O settings? Feel free to post a patch here.

Hmm, I was pretty sure this new video and method should work on the ultra as well. Lemme check on that in a little while.

Did you adjust your I/O settings? Feel free to post a patch here.

yep dude, i've adjusted the Input 1 to Stereo, Output 1 to Stereo. Here's the preset. View attachment Rohini djent(2).syx it would be awesome if you can help me) cause we can't afford a second Axe FX. The preset is actually for an 8 string guitar, so don't be surprised about the sound)

i think i see the problem.

Row 2 - Mixer 1 set to Left. Assuming you are using the Front input or Rear Input 1 L.
Row 1 - Mixer 2 set to Right. Assuming you are using the Rear Input 1 R.

The problem is you have Row 2 Amp 2 (which should be left) input select set to Right, and Row 1 Amp 1 (which should be right) input select set to left. This is probably why you aren't getting sound.

If you are using 2 amps, though, you don't have to use the mixers. Just delete these and you should immediately get sound to the correct places. Just remember to select the correct Input on the Advanced page. You also have to select the correct input for the Drive pedals, and it looks like you can't do that from Axe-Edit. It's on page 3 of the Drive edit menu.

The only reason I use mixers is because I don't use an amp for my 2nd guitar. Using row 2 for guitar 1 and row 1 for guitar 2 can be very confusing. I used row 2 for my electric only because the presets normally use Row 2. I used Row 1 for guitar 2 just because. Since making my video, I'm considering moving rows around so my guitar 2 is at the bottom (row 4) and my electric starts on row 1 and uses 2&3 for crazy effects...

lemme know if this works.

Last edited:
man, i tried all from your latest video, with an amp i.e. the problem is, that on Ultra you CANT select input for Drive pedals, there is no page 3...and i'll check out everything again tomorow, thanks for your responce mate!

maybe because i can't select the input for drive pedals, i get the same combined sound on both left and right channels?

man, i tried all from your latest video, with an amp i.e. the problem is, that on Ultra you CANT select input for Drive pedals, there is no page 3...and i'll check out everything again tomorow, thanks for your responce mate!
Omg. Sounds like The Matrix: there is no page 3.

Hmm then you definitely need the mixers first. I think you can leave the amp input select at default L+R because te mixer will pan it for you already.

Back
Top Bottom