Song Mode

The only con is that you'll have to jot down your presets on your set list. But, that's arguably easier than reordering the presets in Set mode if you change your set list. Or, if you play more than 128 songs per show....;)

Anybody running the MFC-101 in song mode? Pro's / cons?
To each his own John, but I find the Song Mode the way to go. I found myself organizing and tweaking my Axe II a lot and then started to find it wasn't a deal breaker. So rather than waste a bunch of time worrying about the sequence of my patches on the Axe, I just program and organize everything with the MFC-101 to point wherever I want.

I run the MFC using the 'banks of 5' method, leaving the remaining IA switches primarily for effects blocks. So 'Song 1' has switches 1-5 available for my presets. 'Song 2' the same, and so on. I try to think of 'Songs' on the MFC as banks. With each bank I tend to focus on a particular amp. For instance, I use Song 1 for my Friedmans, Song 2 for JCM 800's, Song 4 for Mesa, etc. It's easy and fast to do on the MFC. I created table in a Word doc to keep track of my settings and for quick reference until I get them memorized. Here's a screen shot below.

It's funny, after having the Axe II for a couple months now, I find myself zeroing in on one or two amps. Call me a one-trick-pony but I could spend days on the JCM 800. Anyway, like I said earlier, to each his own. As I keep learning more and more about this black box, I keep finding different ways to do things. So what I'm diggin' today could very well be completely different next week. ;-)

MFC-101%2520Template.jpg

The only con is that you'll have to jot down your presets on your set list. But, that's arguably easier than reordering the presets in Set mode if you change your set list. Or, if you play more than 128 songs per show....;)

That's pretty funny. I pride my self on not playing more than 128 songs in one show... unless we get the highly coveted encore.

To each his own John, but I find the Song Mode the way to go. I found myself organizing and tweaking my Axe II a lot and then started to find it wasn't a deal breaker. So rather than waste a bunch of time worrying about the sequence of my patches on the Axe, I just program and organize everything with the MFC-101 to point wherever I want.

I run the MFC using the 'banks of 5' method, leaving the remaining IA switches primarily for effects blocks. So 'Song 1' has switches 1-5 available for my presets. 'Song 2' the same, and so on. I try to think of 'Songs' on the MFC as banks. With each bank I tend to focus on a particular amp. For instance, I use Song 1 for my Friedmans, Song 2 for JCM 800's, Song 4 for Mesa, etc. It's easy and fast to do on the MFC. I created table in a Word doc to keep track of my settings and for quick reference until I get them memorized. Here's a screen shot below.

It's funny, after having the Axe II for a couple months now, I find myself zeroing in on one or two amps. Call me a one-trick-pony but I could spend days on the JCM 800. Anyway, like I said earlier, to each his own. As I keep learning more and more about this black box, I keep finding different ways to do things. So what I'm diggin' today could very well be completely different next week. ;-)

As usual Big Joe, a great response. I'm still sorting out what I need for our shows. I have my first live appearance with Supernal Endgame on October 28, so I'm still working on getting my patch levels to work with the rest of my bandmates. I can certainly see some benefits to song mode, but I already have a dedicated bank for each song. I also am using the 5 presets per bank, and so far I am able to do each song without having to up-bank or down-bank. In addition to preparing for the show, I am working on my tracks for the next album, and the songs are really interesting, but do require I use a lot of different sounds even in the context of just one song. You have certainly given me some food for thought. As always, many thanks Joe. You rock!!!

As usual Big Joe, a great response. I'm still sorting out what I need for our shows. I have my first live appearance with Supernal Endgame on October 28, so I'm still working on getting my patch levels to work with the rest of my bandmates. I can certainly see some benefits to song mode, but I already have a dedicated bank for each song. I also am using the 5 presets per bank, and so far I am able to do each song without having to up-bank or down-bank. In addition to preparing for the show, I am working on my tracks for the next album, and the songs are really interesting, but do require I use a lot of different sounds even in the context of just one song. You have certainly given me some food for thought. As always, many thanks Joe. You rock!!!

MFC-101%2520Template.jpg
Hey Big Daddy,
Im am new to the MFC101. How do you assign presets in a bank in a song? I set my bank to 5 and cannot get the presets to be assigned. i.e. first five in bank set to preset 190-34-45-22-35. Goal is to be able to pull create a song, assign presets in bank to the song, then add blocks and scenes so when playing live I can just dial up a song and all sounds are good to go.

Hey Big Daddy,
Im am new to the MFC101. How do you assign presets in a bank in a song? I set my bank to 5 and cannot get the presets to be assigned. i.e. first five in bank set to preset 190-34-45-22-35. Goal is to be able to pull create a song, assign presets in bank to the song, then add blocks and scenes so when playing live I can just dial up a song and all sounds are good to go.
I have just asked the same questions... apparently can't be done :( You need to work with the Song mode. Still investigating myself how...

Back
Top Bottom