My humble Axe II rig (pic)

smilefan

Experienced
As it is now. EVM 12L Classics in the open back pine cabs. The Matrix amp
pumps 400W per side into those 4 ohm cabs. The humble little Digitech MIDI pedal
is just a basic channel changer, but it fits in my backpack when I fly. The
3U rack is mostly plastic and foam. The whole 'head' weighs about 20 lbs.
and assembles into a shoulder bag format. Now I can travel anywhere with
my rig easily, and plug into any PA/FRFR/amp setup available, and sound like
a God. Life has never been this good for guitar players.

Rig004.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Smilefan,
Nothing Humble about that setup ! Looks tidy , portable , and able to MELT faces :)

You are running frfr full time now I take it ?

Hi Smilefan,
Nothing Humble about that setup ! Looks tidy , portable , and able to MELT faces :)

You are running frfr full time now I take it ?

When I travel I generally run FRFR, but locally here in L.A. its just what you
see onstage with me.

So how is the Axe II? and with the Matrix and the EVm's? :)

Good question. I wondered how it would all mesh together. Now that I've got the II dialed
in to compliment my system with User IR's that best suit it (generally 3rd Party IR's taken with the TC30 'null' mic), its just extraordinary. I used to run my Ultra thru a VHT 2/90/2, which sounded god-like. With the right EQ tweaks at the Axe, I can't even tell the VHT is no longer there. The Matrix is seemless and transparent, not strident, hard-sounding, and ear-fatiguing like other cheaper SS units I've heard, plus provides staggering power into the EVM's.

I used to run my old Ultra/VHT/EVM rig with cab sims ON, and had to put in some major tweak time
to get it to sound 'right'. Now I dont see how I could NOT use cab sims live. The clarity of this rig
is a quantum leap over the old Ultra rig. Between the new VVT modelling, the 2048 point IR's, and
the inheirant clarity and crispness of a first class SS power amp like the Matrix, I can hear fine details in IR's like I can thru FRFR systems. The II rig sounds more vicersal, gritty, and real than my old Ultra rig. Ultra rig = pretty, polished. Axe II rig = gutsy, in-your-face.

Last edited:
Nice ..... neat and compact.

Did you A/B open and closed back cabs for the EVM12's? Just wondering as I'm trying to decide which type of 2x12 cab to get for the EVs.

What is that stand you've got the rack on?

As you know I'm extremely jealous right now, but I applaud that rig design. That is basically what I am going to shoot for over time albeit a little smaller. I've been doing a ton of research and for quality + bang for the buck I'm probably going to go StoneAge narrow open back 1x12 for my cab. Probably install my Scumback H55 for now until I can grab an EV12L like you have installed. I think at this point the Matrix has been out in the wild enough to be a proven "win" so once they setup distribution in the US I'm all over that like white on rice (hopefully total cost is a little less too). I also like the idea of the rack bag that was mentioned in a different post on here.
Just curious, what type of band are you in and what type of music do you play?
Do you travel a lot for gigs?
I'm working a plan to get back into the cover band circuit and reaching out to everyone I can to get pointers before I'm ready to get back into the whole gigging situation thing.
Anyway, sweet setup bro - happy you finally got the II!

Nice ..... neat and compact.

Did you A/B open and closed back cabs for the EVM12's? Just wondering as I'm trying to decide which type of 2x12 cab to get for the EVs.

What is that stand you've got the rack on?

Yes, I extensively A/B'ed every cabinet type I could lay my hands on when I first got my EVM's.
In general, what I found is, the more open the cab, the better I liked it with the 12L's. Plus my
cabs are pine, not marine plywood, so the only way to get a more airy and open sound would be
to suspend the speakers in mid-air (which I tried with stiff copper wire in my garage!). I believe
that my use of open back pine cabs is part of what allows me to succesfully use the Axe live
with cab sims ON (others have reported this doesn't work well for them).

Stand = On Stage Stands 'Mix 400'

Last edited:
Just curious, what type of band are you in and what type of music do you play?
Do you travel a lot for gigs?
I'm working a plan to get back into the cover band circuit and reaching out to everyone I can to get pointers before I'm ready to get back into the whole gigging situation thing.

In LA I play in a cover band. We do a small club and backyard party circuit for folks with too much money. The music is generally classic rock, often 80's hair metal-oriented, since many LA locals grew up on that music.

I travel for two gigs, one in the Bay Area, and one in Portland, OR. They involve both live and studio work (often on the same day!).

Goodluck with getting back into the scene. All these gigs I have now are a result on knowing the right
people and having been in the scene for 20+ years. The essentials of what gets me invited back
over and over have nothing to do with being a giant on my instrument (I'm not) and everything to do with people skills and attitude.

For example, one of my studio gigs, I'm brought in as one of two guitar players. But, in practice, I help
with song-writing, recording, lyrics, other instruments (especially bass), vocals, etc. I help and contribute. There is no such thing as "not my job". So people like working with me (having the Axe helps too).

One last tip. In cover band work, showmanship will get you alot futher than musicianship.
I find people don't want to hear a brilliant 15 minute jam on "Whipping Post", but
they love it if I put on a brown shorts UPS uniform for our "Back in Black" cover,
and strut around like Angus Young.

Last edited:
Dream on, beaatches! I ain't fallin' for that.I promise you its not pretty. 53 year old manin boy scout shorts. Just sad. What I do for money.
That is awesome... I have another year or so before my kids are old enough so I can start gigging again... Taking notes though. I can do a good Malcolm impression ;)

Damn it I've been doing it all wrong. Improving my chops... I need to be an actor, not a competitive musician :lol

Damn it I've been doing it all wrong. Improving my chops... I need to be an actor, not a competitive musician :lol

Odd as it seems being instrumentally brilliant isn't much of a selling point
in the real world of cover work. In fact, if you have great chops its best
to slip them in with the coffee rather than wear them on your shirt sleeve.

Acting will be a more useful life skill than guitar chops.
If your acting skills are good enough, you could grow up
to be President one day!

Last edited:
Odd as it seems being instrumentally brilliant isn't much of a selling point
in the real world of cover work. In fact, if you have great chops its best
to slip them in with the coffee rather than wear them on your shirt sleeve.

Acting will be a more useful life skill than guitar chops.
If your acting skills are good enough, you could grow up
to be President one day!
having a president that shreds on guitar doesn't sound bad at all :mrgreen

Back
Top Bottom