Does the Axe-FX II mean no more audio interfaces / preamps?

The latency of Axe II direct with Fireface out will be higher than Axe II direct only...simply because the DAW software is involved. You can minimize that with buffer settings and such, but it will still be higher latency than recording and monitoring direct with the Axe II.

I don't know the FF800, but if you can use "direct monitoring" with the SPDIF, bypassing the in and out of the DAW, then there will be no delay. With the Axe USB, then you must go:

Axe II >USB>computer>Fireface 800>your monitor speakers. There will be latency any time you have to go in and out of the computer.

I don't know the FF800, but if you use "direct monitoring" with the SPDIF, bypassing the in and out of the DAW, then there will be no delay. With the Axe USB, then you must go:

Axe II >USB>computer>Fireface 800>your monitor speakers. There will be latency any time you have to go in and out of the computer.

Exactly. As cobbler mentions above, though, the ASIO drivers may conflict with each other. In Mac OS, you *might* get away with creating an aggregate device, but don't hold your breath.

I believe it was Java who mentioned that could be an issue and suggested some asio utility for a workaround. I was just curious what others were thinking. I still need the FF800 for audio playback and vocal imputs etc.

I don't know Sonar, but with most DAWs... YES, THAT IS THE IDEA! It will work. Axe II >USB>computer>DAW input>Daw output>Fireface 800>your monitor speakers.

There will be some latency before the sound re-emerges through your speaker monitors. Will it be more or less latency than running the digital SPDIF input into your Fireface 800...I don't know.

Not sure about Mac but, not with Sonar or any other DAW in Windows( unless you use ASIO4ALL or an equivalent). The Axe-fx II uses ASIO only. Only one driver at a time for that in You choose the Axe II for input then you need use it for the output as well. Of course you can just run the outputs of the Axe-fx II to your monitors.

They will sound different no matter what since with the FireFace, you're dealing with mic pres and/or different converters.

The latency of Axe II direct with Fireface out will be higher than Axe II direct only...simply because the DAW software is involved. You can minimize that with buffer settings and such, but it will still be higher latency than recording and monitoring direct with the Axe II.
With Axe 2>USB>DAW on track 1, and Axe 2>SPDIF>Fireface 800>Firewire>DAW on track 2, you should be able to see the difference in latency by comparing the tracks. It doesn't matter if they sound different, just how much they are shifted in time. It comes down to whether the Axe outputs to USB and SPDIF with the same latency, and the relative latencies of the USB/USB driver vs Firewire/Firewire driver channels.

Not sure about Mac but, not with Sonar or any other DAW in Windows( unless you use ASIO4ALL or an equivalent). The Axe-fx II uses ASIO only. Only one driver at a time for that in You choose the Axe II for input then you need use it for the output as well. Of course you can just run the outputs of the Axe-fx II to your monitors.

+1 for Reaper with my ancient WinXP box. That's exactly how it is working for me. I can't split the outputs to my Lexicon I-ONIX USB interface when running the Axe-FX II AISO driver. So at least in my setup (no firewire here) I have to change over to the Axe-FX II ASIO drivers to record via USB and then just change the AISO driver back to mix. No biggie - been working fine. Reaper just resamples automatically on the fly for me - i can cut the track and switch back to the 24bit 96K with zero weirdness or effort on my part. Which is good, because I am a Luddite.

ASIO drivers are used in Windows machines; OS X uses Core Audio. As soon as I get my hands on an Axe II I'll see how it coexists with my Lexicon I-Onix USB interface.

With Axe 2>USB>DAW on track 1, and Axe 2>SPDIF>Fireface 800>Firewire>DAW on track 2, you should be able to see the difference in latency by comparing the tracks. It doesn't matter if they sound different, just how much they are shifted in time. It comes down to whether the Axe outputs to USB and SPDIF with the same latency, and the relative latencies of the USB/USB driver vs Firewire/Firewire driver channels.

Thanks I will try that.

Are all SPDIF cables created equal?

If not, then what do you suggest?
Thanks.

ASIO drivers are used in Windows machines; OS X uses Core Audio. As soon as I get my hands on an Axe II I'll see how it coexists with my Lexicon I-Onix USB interface.

Yeah, I have very little experience w/ core audio other than setting up a couple of mac daws for friends. They have all been simple set ups.

Yeah, I have very little experience w/ core audio other than setting up a couple of mac daws for friends. They have all been simple set ups.

Macs let you create hybrid virtual devices where you can mix and match USB audio ins and outs. You have to go into the utility's folder under applications and use the "audio and midi settings" program (or something similarly named) to do so.

Many players who are younger then 30-35 may have never played tube amp ever. They only know the JCM 800 sound from POD(xt), Digitech, Zoom, Amplitube, GuitarRig ... This generation still have desire for better sound and since are familiar with computers they have no problem using something like Axe-FX.
I know it's a though thing to stay, but "ONLY TUBE" guys will start to die out in 10-15 years. There will be no more fighting over tube vs digital.

Many players who are younger then 30-35 may have never played tube amp ever. They only know the JCM 800 sound from POD(xt), Digitech, Zoom, Amplitube, GuitarRig ... This generation still have desire for better sound and since are familiar with computers they have no problem using something like Axe-FX.
I know it's a though thing to stay, but "ONLY TUBE" guys will start to die out in 10-15 years. There will be no more fighting over tube vs digital.

This is completely untrue, I rarely have met a guitar player over the age of 18 that has never played at least a mediocre tube amp, I agree they may not have played a legit jcm800 specifically but I'd bet the percentage of players between 18-35 that have never played a tube amp is incredibly small.

Thanks I will try that.

Are all SPDIF cables created equal?

If not, then what do you suggest?
Thanks.

Pretty much; as long as you have a coaxial cable with RCA connectors you should fine. I use a coaxial digital cable which is made from RG-59. Basically anything that you find at the store that's marketed as a "subwoofer" or digital coaxial cable (for A/V setups without TOSLink) will work fine. No need to spend more than $10.

You can use your standard RCA lead and it would work, not recommended though lol, I think the standard for coax audio cable is 75ohms. As long as your not running along side some crazy hardwired power cables that are plumbed into a big chiller/ac unit etc you will be fine and you wouldnt notice any differance from a $10 to a $200 coaxial cable.

I never thought about ASIO driver conflict and it worries me a bit, that it may be fiddly and time consuming, constantly A/Bing between asio devices.
I know we can reamp over USB but is there the ability to reamp via AES/Spdif?

Which is why most end up using Crates or Spider amps.. they can't afford one!!

thank you, i got vomit in my throat now. ;-) lol

jk of course... its ok to play with w/e you have, as long as you have fun... and as long as I dont have to hear it! ;-)

They will sound different no matter what since with the FireFace, you're dealing with mic pres and/or different converters.

No, you're not dealing with any pres or converters at all with the spdif, that's just a digital signal.

...for the first time since Les Paul took us electric, we can go BIGGER, BADDER, MORE BEAUTIFUL AND BREAK BOUNDARIES. I am searching for this new sound that in many ways is better than any tube amp and speaker. The Axe FX is the only thing I've found on earth that can deliver this consistently.

And most of all, energized and beautiful new sounds will take you to NEW PLACES musically...and that's what it's about..an even cooler sound that delivers a new musicality.
This has been my vision for digital guitar processing for the last decade and a half — a point beyond mere mimicry of existing equipment — the point where tone and modelling are developed (and broken down) far enough that we are no longer limited to the narrow definition of good tone that 60-year-old tube circuitry provides, and we can build tones from scratch that go places where our old designs can't.

Back
Top Bottom