Does the Axe-FX II mean no more audio interfaces / preamps?

Wow. And here I thought the goal of recording was to first and foremost put my ideas onto a tangible media and second to make it sound how I want it to sound. I won't know how the Axe-Fx II really sounds until I hear one for myself in my studio, so I can't realistically compare it to real amps.

Now, back to the subject at hand. I think the USB will be just as good as any other similar interface, only no Mic Pres and gain settings to deal with, and no fuss when you want to re-amp with a different tone. You're certainly capable of recording the Axe II direct just as you have with your Std. or Ultra, or using a power amp and cab with real microphones.

And that is the REAL advantage of the Axe-Fx. Convenience.

I highly recommend that Fractal look into adding user-controlled chaos into their algorithms and any other trickery and/or technology conceivable because many many many people do in fact wish their Axe FX to fool all people (not just aunt Ginny) in the end.

How do you know Cliff isn't/hasn't already done that? You know, he does improve the firmware all the time...

Wow. And here I thought the goal of recording was to first and foremost put my ideas onto a tangible media and second to make it sound how I want it to sound.

Well, I wish that was true. I'm an Axe FX forum fighter over at Gearslutz.com, the huge recording forum. They're engineers and some players over there and I stand with a handful of others fighting the hordes of Axe FX haters and doubters. It's not like here at cushy cushy "fractalaudio.com," Axe FX fan heaven.

Last edited:
I completely understand what you're saying, even if I'm the only one here who does! It sounds like we're coming from the same place. I've always chosen the Fender Twin over anything digital because I like the sound of a real amp...with a real speaker...with a real mic...the sound that's been on essentially every recording in history (haha), and without a doubt I can hear the difference between an Axe and an amp. Not because of the tone of the guitar, but because of the ambience of the sound! However, by no means is one better than the other, in fact, that digital sound is becoming better and better every day because of products like the AXE! If the FX II lives up to the hype, it might be time to make the switch! And to anyone whose ever had to pay engineers an extra hour while he tries to find where that damn hum or rattling is coming, making that switch is gonna feel preeeettty darn good. Haha.

Oh, and I should add, I'm talking almost exclusively about clean/low gain sounds, mostly in jazz.

Last edited:
One of my points that I am clearly stating (and sometimes being misunderstood) is that if, and only if, your goal is fool all people into thinking this is a real tube amp, you cannot record the Axe FX Standard or Ultra unaltered direct because it sounds too flawless still. Maybe the v12, Axe II or III will improve this area. I highly recommend that Fractal look into adding user-controlled chaos into their algorithms and any other trickery and/or technology conceivable to sound more like real amps because many many many people do in fact wish their Axe FX to fool all people (not just aunt Ginny) in the end.

My other major point is that many of us, including myself, could care less if this sounds like a real tube amp. The Axe FX stands on it's own as a FAR more desirable instrument, in every way, to put our musical ideas and playing into recordings.

It seems to me if you are in a commericial studio that charges by the hour and you have lots of options for recording guitar tracks, then the musicians would just take whatever option suits the project?

That doesn't mean you can't tweak the AxeFx ahead of time to make it your best option vs. a Twin. At least to me that doesn't seem to follow.

- Richard

That doesn't mean you can't tweak the AxeFx ahead of time to make it your best option vs. a Twin. At least to me that doesn't seem to follow.
LOL - my thoughts exactly!
All tone preferences aside: It's like showing up to a gig not knowing which patch you are going to use for a particular song. Or showing up for a job interview and not know anything about the company you are interviewing with. Being prepared BEFORE going into a commercial by-the-hour studio setting makes sense to me. Fumbling around with settings on the Axe, OR any "amp" while "about to record" reeks of lack of preparedness and professionalism.
It does tend toward the "rut" theory. Stick with what you know, and all that!

THIS IS THE BIGGEST FAULT WITH THE AXE FX, IT'S TOO PERFECTLY DIGITAL TO PERFECTLY SIMULATE AMPS. Fractal needs to add some chaos algorithms to the AXE III.

A LOT of people actually find this quality highly desirable. The Axe-Fx has become the product of choice among the "djent" community and many of the modern heavy bands due to this particular "digital" sound.

Digital has gotten to a point in all media where it is no longer looked upon as being inherently inferior but simply as being different and, in many cases, superior. Film, TV, art, music, etc. The younger generation is embracing the technology and using it as an artistic tool.

Truly creative people don't obsess over whether something sounds the same as their old, vintage tube amp. They simply want something that can create sounds that inspire them and products that improve the creative process.

The days of tube amps are coming to an end. Modern digital technology offers competing sound quality with vastly improved convenience and workflow.

I didn't read your following posts prior to what I posted above but you make some excellent points. I can definitely see how traditional studio musicians would be reluctant.

I agree. I'd also make the statement that I can't get my tube amp to sound like my Axefx. My digital tones are now better in many respects. And I don't need tube or digital tone, I just need great tone and the axefx nails that.

A LOT of people actually find this quality highly desirable. The Axe-Fx has become the product of choice among the "djent" community and many of the modern heavy bands due to this particular "digital" sound.

Digital has gotten to a point in all media where it is no longer looked upon as being inherently inferior but simply as being different and, in many cases, superior. Film, TV, art, music, etc. The younger generation is embracing the technology and using it as an artistic tool.

Truly creative people don't obsess over whether something sounds the same as their old, vintage tube amp. They simply want something that can create sounds that inspire them and products that improve the creative process.

The days of tube amps are coming to an end. Modern digital technology offers competing sound quality with vastly improved convenience and workflow.

Amen!

That's why I cling to the Axe FX ... for the first time since Les Paul took us electric, we can go BIGGER, BADDER, MORE BEAUTIFUL AND BREAK BOUNDARIES. I am searching for this new sound that in many ways is better than any tube amp and speaker. The Axe FX is the only thing I've found on earth that can deliver this consistently.

And most of all, energized and beautiful new sounds will take you to NEW PLACES musically...and that's what it's about..an even cooler sound that delivers a new musicality. When you move from your acoustic guitar to your amp you're inspired to play things that are completely different , or from low gain to 11 on an amp. It's like getting a whole new instrument in your hands. That's what the Axe FX and beyond is...a new instrument...and even your amp at 111 if you want.

Digital has gotten to a point in all media where it is no longer looked upon as being inherently inferior but simply as being different and, in many cases, superior. Film, TV, art, music, etc.

I sold my tape recorders, film cameras, entire record collection and turntable, analog mixers, my Dangerous summing box and now my tube amp collection. Why? Because for each individual, there is always a point where the advantages of digital > the advantages of analog. That point for me with the guitar was the Axe FX.

Like records over CDs, real amps have definite superior qualities over modeling still, but those advantages are diminishing with every passing year. Even almost 10 years ago, 1-bit DSD was the best sounding music medium I'd ever heard and still is. Analog photographic film and recording tape have been relegated to be called "special effects" now...expensive and difficult, but sometimes very cool. Tube amps are on the chopping block as we speak.

Truly creative people don't obsess over whether something sounds the same as their old, vintage tube amp. They simply want something that can create sounds that inspire them and products that improve the creative process. The days of tube amps are coming to an end. Modern digital technology offers competing sound quality with vastly improved convenience and workflow.

As a songwriter, I can spin the big patch knob and be presented with unexpected sounds (exactly like on a digital synth) that adds that invaluable element of surprise and accident to artistic creation. And with the Axe FX, you don't have to stop the creative juices flowing for 15min or 1/2 hour to hook up new amps, effects, speakers, troubleshoot rattles etc etc. Such a vibe killer!

And as I always say, the AxeFX is amazing under your fingers and the way it reacts and dances with your playing. Note punch and the low level control of feedback is also unparalleled in real amps.

ooops, OT....Yes, I can't wait to hear the new Axe II via the USB direct and the ease of use factor will be a real blessing.

Last edited:
Now, I have one question:

USB vs SPDIF?

Any audio geek cares to answer my question? :)

I have a Fireface 800 which doesn't have a USB input but only a SPDIF input/output.
If I plugged the USB cable directly in my PC, could I use it as an input in Sonar and actually hear any sound through my Fireface 800??

I'm kinda lost...

If I can't then I'll have to order a SPDIF cable.
If I have to, is there any quality difference between SPDIF cables (constructions, brands...)?

Thanks!

Forgot to add.

When I say USB vs SPDIF:

Is there latency difference (even the slightest) or transmission quality (speed)?
Or maybe other factors...

Thanks...

Now, I have one question:

USB vs SPDIF?

Any audio geek cares to answer my question? :)

I have a Fireface 800 which doesn't have a USB input but only a SPDIF input/output.
If I plugged the USB cable directly in my PC, could I use it as an input in Sonar and actually hear any sound through my Fireface 800??

I don't know Sonar, but with most DAWs... YES, THAT IS THE IDEA! It will work. Axe II >USB>computer>DAW input>Daw output>Fireface 800>your monitor speakers.

There will be some latency before the sound re-emerges through your speaker monitors. Will it be more or less latency than running the digital SPDIF input into your Fireface 800...I don't know.

Last edited:
I don't know Sonar, but with most DAWs... YES, THAT IS THE IDEA! It will work. Axe II >USB>computer>DAW input>Daw output>Fireface 800>your monitor speakers.

There will be some latency before the sound re-emerges through your speaker monitors.

Thanks!

Will it be more or less latency than running the digital SPDIF input into your Fireface 800...I don't know.

Is there a way for me to know?
maybe by looking at the Fireface specs, or else?

I just dunno what to look for... :)

It would be a race.

Axe II >USB>computer>DAW input
vs
Axe II >SPDIF>Fireface 800>Firewire>computer>DAW input

Record simultaneously both ways (if Axe 2 allows) and compare the tracks.

They will sound different no matter what since with the FireFace, you're dealing with mic pres and/or different converters.

The latency of Axe II direct with Fireface out will be higher than Axe II direct only...simply because the DAW software is involved. You can minimize that with buffer settings and such, but it will still be higher latency than recording and monitoring direct with the Axe II.

USB + SPDIF or AES

Can you connect the Axe II's USB to the computer therefore having DAW and Axe Edit connectivity AND ALSO connect to the Fireface 800 or other audio interface concurrently via SPDIF or AES allowing you routing options for desktop monitors and/or Atomic Wedges etc..?

Won't the two Asio drivers conflict?

In addition, If I wanted to use my Ultra as just a keyboards effects unit, can I have both it and the Axe II running at the same time on the PC and in Sonar X1? Or will that cause a potential driver conflict as well?

I am just trying to figure out how I can hook everything up at once, have visibility in the DAW, and also have the output routability functions of totalmix for the FF800. I am just a play at home hobbyist. Can't wait for the 2!!!!

Any thoughts?

Craig

Last edited:
Can you connect the Axe II's USB to the computer therefore having DAW and Axe Edit connectivity AND ALSO connect to the Fireface 800 or other audio interface concurrently via SPDIF or AES allowing you routing options for desktop monitors and/or Atomic Wedges etc..?

Won't the two Asio drivers conflict?

In addition, If I wanted to use my Ultra as just a keyboards effects unit, can I have both it and the Axe II running at the same time on the PC and in Sonar X1? Or will that cause a potential driver conflict as well?

I am just trying to figure out how I can hook everything up at once, have visibility in the DAW, and also have the output routability functions of totalmix for the FF800. I am just a play at home hobbyist. Can't wait for the 2!!!!

Any thoughts?

Craig

This is a good point. Most likely the interface drivers will conflict with each other.

Back
Top Bottom