Does the Axe-FX II mean no more audio interfaces / preamps?

RJSAudio.

Inspired
Hi there!

Does the USB Audio Interface in the Axe-FX II mean that it would be fine to record straight from the Axe to the computer, or would it sound better still using an interface and/or preamp?

In a FX II thread Cliff said this:

"The "built-in" interface is limited only by the host computer.

The USB is Audio Class 2.0 compliant. On a Mac you don't need to install any drivers but you do need to install the firmware loader for the USB chip (it is a "soft" processor and downloads its code from the host on start-up). On a PC you also have to install the Audio Class 2.0 drivers. The driver supports ASIO, SRC, etc. etc.

You can use the USB just for remote control via Axe-Edit if you want. You don't have to use the audio features."

...but I can't decipher whether that means we can ditch the extra hardware or if it would sound better with an interface / pre.

Thanks for the help!

Yes, you can ditch the interface/preamp. That takes out two conversions: a D/A and an A/D, and puts less stuff in your signal chain.

...but I can't decipher whether that means we can ditch the extra hardware or if it would sound better with an interface / pre.

Do what sounds best to you. I'm betting it will sound just as good either way, but you'd have a lot less to mess with if you ditched the interface.

Does the USB Audio Interface in the Axe-FX II mean that it would be fine to record straight from the Axe to the computer, or would it sound better still using an interface and/or preamp?
Yes, recording is direct to your DAW software. Pick an input channel and go. Stereo (IN0 L, and In1 R) is supported, as is reamping, via the 4x2 channels on the interface. It also removes the need for a midi interface.. USB passed both audio and midi.. and the midi is FAST!!

That depends on taste... the audio input is pristine and IMHO doesn't need a pre of any kind. Listen to Scott and JJ's demos.

I remember cliff said the analog ports have a certain mojo compared to the spdif and digital data. Would it sound better on the axe-fx II through a apogee Rosetta converter or other high end converter in the studio?

Yes, you can ditch the interface/preamp. That takes out two conversions: a D/A and an A/D, and puts less stuff in your signal chain.

This is one of the biggest reasons for me moving to the II from the Ultra. No more interface/preamp to color my tones in a way I don't like. And, being able to use the interface to pump jam tracks thru it to my monitors, so no mixer required. Plus the simplicity of re-amping using the USB interface. All features that by themselves, would have pushed me into going to the II. Having all of them is just plain awesome. :)

But if you want to record vocals, you would still want the pre at least, yes? Or...can we get away with a simple xlr->trs converter cable and run some fun limiter/compresser/preamp from the axe? =P

But if you want to record vocals, you would still want the pre at least, yes? Or...can we get away with a simple xlr->trs converter cable and run some fun limiter/compresser/preamp from the axe? =P

Why would you not record the vocals dry, and do the 're-amping' trick? Either way, don't see the Axe II as designed for vocals, so a pre might work better. But honestly aren't most preamps a warming/EQ thing? Not hard to dial in I'm sure if a 'will do' fix is needed. If you need better, get a vocal pre.

Ron

Yes, you'll need a mic preamp in any case to get the mic's level up to line level.

Yeah i would like to see you try and drive a Sm7 or ribbon from the Axe lol, you could however take a decent pre and plug it in to the axe and take advantage of hopefully decent conversion, if you only have a maudio/behringer interface etc

I actually have a modded brick and it sounds wonderful, not alot of gain but awesome on bass guitar and most LDC mics that I have tried

I remember cliff said the analog ports have a certain mojo compared to the spdif and digital data. Would it sound better on the axe-fx II through a apogee Rosetta converter or other high end converter in the studio?

If you have an Apogee Rosetta (lucky bastard) you probably want to go out of the AXE with SPDIF.
You will get better latency...... USB kinda sucks, there is the reported latency and also a hidden latency. (nothing like PCI for low latency)
And I know the converters in the AXE-FX are great but the Rosetta is probably better.

;)

Back
Top Bottom