Axe-Fx II Technical Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my tests through a solid-state power amp into a 4x12 the II is indistinguishable from the real thing. In some cases, better. YMMV.

Cliff-

What kind of 4x12/speakers and and SS power amp did you use? Were the patches pretty dry or was there added non-Amp-block EQing?

This comment is very encouraging...

:lol

I suppose it could be done via AxeEdit, but I am more of a front panel tweaker. I mainly only use AxeEdit for firmware updates and user cabs. It would be cool to just hit one button to clear out a patch though. Just make sure it was hidden enough not to be accidentally pressed. lol

Or well labeled... ;)

Screengrab of Alex Lifeson's Axess FX1 MIDI foot controller from a rig review video (bottom left corner):

attachment.php

Attachments

• AlexLifesonAxessFX1.jpg
    AlexLifesonAxessFX1.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 600
The idea behind X/Y is that people often have multiple distortion/chorus/delay/etc. pedals on their board but they rarely have more than one on at a time. So rather than creating more instances of effects, which sucks up CPU, have each instance capable of more than one sound.
Is there a reason you didn't name them K/Y? (sorry)

Only the most used blocks have this feature. It's simply a second set of parameters that gets loaded. The best analogy is a two-channel head. You can use only one channel at a time.

Example, you set Drive1:X to be a Tube OD and Drive1:Y to be a PI Fuzz. Each has its own Drive, Tone, etc. You switch between the two using either the X/Y buttons or your MIDI controller.

So just to clarify, moving over to the amp block, you could have X set as a Blackface clean or whatever, and Y set as a high gain Recto sound, and just X/Y between them? So basically you've got one amp/drive/whatever block, but the entire contents of that block can be X/Y switched?

For some reason (maybe something someone else said) I didn't think it'd be quite as flexible as this, maybe limited to different settings in the same drive/amp type. From what I'm understanding now, that is just plain effing brilliant. I don't plan on selling my Ultra to fund an Axe II, but I'm starting to think I may have to illegally sell some non-vital body parts.

So just to clarify, moving over to the amp block, you could have X set as a Blackface clean or whatever, and Y set as a high gain Recto sound, and just X/Y between them? So basically you've got one amp/drive/whatever block, but the entire contents of that block can be X/Y switched?

For some reason (maybe something someone else said) I didn't think it'd be quite as flexible as this, maybe limited to different settings in the same drive/amp type. From what I'm understanding now, that is just plain effing brilliant. I don't plan on selling my Ultra to fund an Axe II, but I'm starting to think I may have to illegally sell some non-vital body parts.

You got it. It is absolutely brilliant and works like a charm.

I've got a ton of patches I need to bring over to the axe-fx2 ....I read where the old ones aren't compatible...but is there a way to take an ultra patch to axedit and then merge it across?

You got it. It is absolutely brilliant and works like a charm.

Thanks for confirming. :) That's definitely a big wow feature for me. I've never felt the need to have more than 2 amps running at once in a patch, but have wanted to be able to switch more in and out of one patch. Being able to run basically a two channel amp (but two completely different amps if you want) with just one block is pretty damn sweet. Would definitely be handy for drive blocks too, of which there never seemed to be enough of (but again, I never wanted them all running at once). And if you've got other things set up that revolve around what in the Std/Ultra would have been two separate chains (drives, delays, whatever else has the X/Y function), you can change 'em all over at the same time you switch your amp if you set your board up that way, and use half the number of blocks and half the grid spacem all with one switch stomp. My brain has just been distributed fairly evenly around the room!

Us humans have two kidneys right, but we only really need one? Axe-FX II here I come!

I've got a ton of patches I need to bring over to the axe-fx2 ....I read where the old ones aren't compatible...but is there a way to take an ultra patch to axedit and then merge it across?

If there were, I think that Fractal would have said so when they said that the patches were incompatible, so the answer is almost certainly "no". I believe that they said that they might implement a conversion tool in the future, but I certainly wouldn't wait around for it.

Last edited:
Cliff, would you please clarify the impedance feature. Is the input impedance sweepable and is it an analog function or is it a digital simulation of the effects of different impedances etc?

thanks,
Steve

Perhaps an active Y state could be blinking Green, with the active X state is solid green.
Imagiine a bunch of blinking Green MFC-101 LEDs in your face on a dark stage !!!!!!!!

Even better - allow the MFC-101 to do the following: Using the same switch: CC X on the first step, CC Y on the second step within 2 seconds
or
CC Y if you hold down the switch for more than a second

So how will this actually work?

Is is possible to save a block's setting to any Global Effect slot you want without already being in that global effect slot?

In other words, can I load up, say, an amp block, tweak around for a minute, then save that amp block to Global Amp 4 without already being in Global Amp 4?

Yes.

I know this is isn't the intended application of the humbuster ports but...

I live in a Condo with insane EMI. Could it be beneficial to plug a guitar into one of the rear 'humbuster' ports (using the custom cable) to reduce the insane hum?

(NOTE: I have NO dimmer switches or fluorescent lights, the EMI is coming from the building wiring or from a utility source. I've called 2 electricians who couldn't find anything wrong with my condo wiring).

Just wondering. Thanks!

This is the same problem i have always had, damn wiring.

Animal and Orpeus,

Early on in this thread from Cliff :

"The preset protocol is entirely new and incompatible. Perhaps a translator could be developed someday."

Cliff-

What kind of 4x12/speakers and and SS power amp did you use? Were the patches pretty dry or was there added non-Amp-block EQing?

This comment is very encouraging...

A Mesa 4x12 with my Carvin F1200 power amp. The patches were dry because I do A/B comparisons using an A/B box. I run the cab stereo and put the amp being modeled into one side and the Axe-Fx II into the other side. I run my guitar to the A/B box. One output to the amp and one to the Axe-Fx. Then I can quickly switch back and forth to verify the model is working properly.

Cliff, would you please clarify the impedance feature. Is the input impedance sweepable and is it an analog function or is it a digital simulation of the effects of different impedances etc?

thanks,
Steve

The input impedance is selectable from a dozen or so values. It is done right at the instrument input using analog switches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom