Axe-Fx II Technical Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
:?: What about the (for some) previously MAJOR impossibilty (or unwillingness for understandable reasons) of being able to pick any preamp in combination with any power amp? (eg CAE with Marshall power amp)
Is there now a way or any hope left?

:?: Any change in latency because of 2 CPUs now? (like slightly worse maybe? I remember you telling us of drawbacks of using 2 CPUs, but I forgot the exact details)

Last edited:
Hi Cliff,

Do you mainly code in C++, C, mix of both, assembly?

Bonus question: what coding trick are you the most proud of for that new unit?

Thanks!

:?: What about the (for some) previously MAJOR impossibilty (or unwillingness for understandable reasons) of being able to pick any preamp in combination with any power amp? (eg CAE with Marshall power amp)
Is there now a way or any hope left?

At one point, Cliff said that he didn't want users to be able to turn off the preamp and link two amp blocks together in a preamp-to-poweramp arrangement because it would make it easier for the competition to reverse engineer his work. However, if you could, instead of just turning off part of the amp, instead cycle through a menu of power sections like you can currently choose the tonestack from different amps... I don't know, maybe this could do everything you'd want without "opening" up the system in any significant way. I know I'd love to be able to do that. There are lots of great historic tones involving the preamp of one amp being slaved into the poweramp of another amo with fantastic results. Just off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure mostly all of Metallica's And Justice For All was recorded using a Mesa Boogie Mark IIc+ preamp sent to the power section of a Marshall JCM 800. That would be an easily achievable tone if we could hot-swap power sections in the amp block.

Hi Cliff,

Do you mainly code in C++, C, mix of both, assembly?

Bonus question: what coding trick are you the most proud of for that new unit?

Thanks!

C and assembly. I code object-oriented in C. So I make my own classes and objects using structs. This way I get the efficiency of C with OO benefits.

Is a utility available yet for conversion of user IRs to sysex format? Obviously the format is different from the previous one to account for 2048 points and to allow naming user IRs.

Is a utility available yet for conversion of user IRs to sysex format? Obviously the format is different from the previous one to account for 2048 points and to allow naming user IRs.

Good question, I also wonder / hope Redwirez will support the new format and naming with the online MixIR

GAIN--ok for us overly silly gain heads, who want over the top gain options, who some may ridicule but its all about fun, will there be some increase somewhere ie. drive goes to 15, or more preamp gain sections, will there be some sick new gain stuff? (I know I sound like a 13 year old metal head, but I am at heart, though truly a 43 year old M.D., thanks.

There are lots of great historic tones involving the preamp of one amp being slaved into the poweramp of another amo with fantastic results. Just off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure mostly all of Metallica's And Justice For All was recorded using a Mesa Boogie Mark IIc+ preamp sent to the power section of a Marshall JCM 800. That would be an easily achievable tone if we could hot-swap power sections in the amp block.
Yeah, I was actually asking this a little earlier in the thread. Would be nice but, I totally understand and accept protecting your investment as an answer.

Cliff? Is this still your position on the matter?

Thanks

-Nate

Can you use the instrument and input 1+2 at the same time or does plugging into the front defeat the rear?

Being able to use the front input (guitar) and the stereo rear inputs (keyboard/sampler/hardware sequencer/drum machine/...) at the same time would be really nice.
Is that possible?

I note that there is now only one pedal jack. Does it support one pedal or two?

I didn't see a reply to that one (apologies if you did, and I missed it).

Another one that's been asked, but I didn't see a response: does Axe-FX II have a "real" spillover implementation, or is it the same as Std/Ultra?

And one more: will some of the technology in Axe-FX II be ported to Ultra (i.e. global effects)?

Should wireless units continue to be connected to the front input or can the "sauce" also apply to the rear input?
If so, does the front input override the rear input or is the other way around still the case?

When recording via the USB, can you adjust the levels going to your DAW or are they fixed? I'm mostly curious about the level of the dry signal. THX

The dry signal level is fixed, and for good reason. When you send that signal back in it is the same as the original signal sent to the grid. This means you don't have to adjust anything when reamping. You simply send the signal back.

Same reason as before. If you want a different rate, let your computer resample. Modelers always have a native sample rate. If they are offering different output sample rates then they are just resampling. Modern software resamplers are better.
Ok for DAW use. But for example, I use a VG99 for guitars modeling but its Digital Out is running at 44.1Khz. How to convert in this case?

Time Sync Question...

Will the Axe-FX II act as MIDI clock source for other devices to slave off of?

I have had a complete run around nightmare trying to get the Axe-FX and other devices to sync MIDI Clock AND use a MIDI Foot controller at the same time, it would be solved if the Axe-FX could act as the MIDI Clock source.

Thanks

Midi clock?

Can an Ultra be run in an Fx Loop block of an AxeFx II via SPDIF or balanced connections, or would it need to be run unbalanced?

If it can be run digitally in the Fx Loop, would this pose any problems when reamping via USB?

If there's no way to run an Ultra in an SPDIF Fx Loop, might that be a capability added down the road, or is it just an impossibility?

1. Hey Cliff, what is your favorite new feature of the Axe-Fx II?

2. What single feature do you think long-time Axe-Fx owners will appreciate most about this thing?

1. Hey Cliff, what is your favorite new feature of the Axe-Fx II?

2. What single feature do you think long-time Axe-Fx owners will appreciate most about this thing?

Has the interface been tested with Pro Tools 8/9, Sonar 8.5 & X1 (32 & 64)? Thanks as I am mostly keeping an eye on what doesn't work as of yet because I use PT8.05 and Sonar 8.5 for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom