WOW! Recabinet!!

I notice that the techniques they use for capturing these IRs always involve a tube power amp and various microphone models.
When obtaining IRs for their "Classic" amp series they also use the amp's preamp evidently.

I'm finding that with the Axe, the various cab Recabinet IRs sound more realistic (to me at least) if I defeat the the Axe's power amp sim.
It seems to me that Recab's impulses are best used with only a preamp or preamp sim in front of them.
I.e. Their IRs are designed to capture the tonal qualities of a 6L6 or EL34 power section as well as the qualities of the speaker cabinet. So running a real tube power section or a power amp sim in front of them gets to be a little bit much. Or at least that's what I think I'm hearing now.

So, I'm wondering if anybody here knows if they also offer any cab IRs obtained with a high quality SS power amp?
Do they have any cab IRs obtained with a reference mic, rather than the mic models they list in their documentation?

If not from Recabinet then do you know of anybody else making cab IRs like that?

Thanks.

1) is Recabinet 3 supported for Axe FX, 2) is it available stand alone, and 3) and does anyone know what quality of equipment is used by the Recabinet staff in capturing the recabinet 3 IRs? (for example the signal chain).

"Recabinet 3, it is a full-fledged, self-contained solution – an audio FX plugin for VST, AU, and RTAS formats for Mac OS X and Windows"

Its a plug in now like AcmeBarGigs iFace.

1) is Recabinet 3 supported for Axe FX, 2) is it available stand alone, and 3) and does anyone know what quality of equipment is used by the Recabinet staff in capturing the recabinet 3 IRs? (for example the signal chain).

FWIW, in my experience the Recabinet impulses are GROSSLY inferior to RW or Ownhammer impulses. I don't have a single Recabinet impulse loaded in my Axe even though I've owned them for a long time. Some people do like them I'm sure, but they just do not work for me as well as the others.

Last edited:
FWIW, in my experience the Recabinet impulses are GROSSLY inferior to RW or Ownhammer impulses. I don't have a single Recabinet impulse loaded in my Axe even though I've owned them for a long time. Some people do like them I'm sure, but they just do not work for me as well as the others.

I disagree. I find them better than RedWirez and inferior to Ownhammer. I bought 4 RedWirez cabs and I just can't jive with them :( They all sound thin and nasally to me.

Total matter of personal opinion and preference.

Back
Top Bottom