OwnHammer Impulses - Speaker Cabinets now available!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks!

About Presence, I think you're talking about Active Presence.
Because, according to the manual, Passive Presence at noon is zero on real amps with Presence.
http://axefxwiki.guitarlogic.org/index.php?title=Yeks_How_Tos#How_to_use_the_Presence_control
But hey, if it works, it works! :)

Ah yes, I must have been thinking of the active presence. What can I say it works for me :) I used to own an Engl Screamer and I ran the presence pretty near to Zero. Cranking it up just seems to add unwelcome (to my ears) frequencies to my tones and I don't have any problems cutting in a mix. It's worth noting that these are live tones not studio tones and it's also possible that there is a problem with my verve FBT 12ma such as the problems other have described and that I am compensating for this. I need to arrange a time to send it back to the supplier for testing but from the conversation that I had with them they didn't sound too interested which is a shame :(

Can somebody please confirm what gear Ownhammer is using such as quality of converters or other gear to capture the IRs digitally? I know Redwirez is using extremely expensive A/D converters, but there is no gear list of the sort on the Ownhammer website.

I guess it's a business secret. I made a poll about the differences between RW and OH but it got banned because... I guess I was hijacking my own thread. :D No hard feelings! Anyways if you're concerned about the quality I made a test with both Redwirez and OwnHammer. I didn't get a chance to say which clip was which but most people got it wrong on the thread until it was locked.

Guitars only:

These are the IRs which sound the closest in RW and OH. IMO ofcourse. It's not the same patch... I gave both a fair chance. Tweaked them until I was very happy with both.

The first clip is OwnHammer, second clip is Redwirez and the third is OH on the other side and RW on the other side. Mic positions are OH Mesa2 SM57 #2 and RW Mesa SM57 CapEdge 0,5in.

Do you have any different panning or Enhancer going on between the 3 clips ? The 1st and 3rd clips ( at least on the cheap computer speakers here ) sound like they are either panned out further L & R, or have and enhancer giving them a wider feel...? ( I'll listen in more detail when I get to the studio. but just curious )

Sorry to jump into the middle of your conversation guys, buy I wanted to say that I purchased the Mesa #1, Mesa #2, Mills, and M75 today. I have to admit, I am extremely impressed! I figured the IRs would be pretty good based on Clark Kent's and Xpenno's clips, but they really exceeded my expectations hearing them in person. I found myself liking the mix-n-match mic positions (4 and 5) best, but have not tried everything yet. The OwnHammer IRs sound really good out of the box and at $3.00 each, you really cannot go wrong here.
Have you guys had any luck with some of the smaller cab sims (ie: Boogafunk, Marsh, or Stone Age) for clean/lower gain tones? I generally use the Axe's stock sims for this (and have been happy with them FWIW). Thanks!

I also picked up the OwnHammer 4x12 collection of Mesa, Mills, and Scumbacks the other day. Holy smokes these sound nice. I'm really enjoying the MA200 positions 1 and 2, The Mix and Match 1 and 4. That Mojave mic is killer. I'm very much getting that in the room feel from these cabs!

Excellent job, OwnHammer. :)

Do you have any different panning or Enhancer going on between the 3 clips ? The 1st and 3rd clips ( at least on the cheap computer speakers here ) sound like they are either panned out further L & R, or have and enhancer giving them a wider feel...? ( I'll listen in more detail when I get to the studio. but just curious )

I never use the enhancer. It's just amp + cab and the same panning. The last clip has different IR's left and right which is how I do my more serious recordings. This time it is OwnHammer and Redwirez mixed.

As per the Clark Kent clip. I find the Redwirez better sounding. To me it sounds like there is some sonic content missing in the Ownhammers in comparison. Although it could also just be more mid colors... or some kind of analog simulator too... hard to say. At this point I will not be purchasing any more Ownhammer IRs any longer until I find out from the company directly what A to D converters they are using. They have not answered my email on the matter. For all we know they could even be put through M-audio converters. (Not that this is a bad thing. ) But I think we have some right to know what converters are being used if an industry standard company like Redwires is even sharing that info.

Last edited:
As per the Clark Kent clip. I find the Redwirez better sounding. To me it sounds like there is some sonic content missing in the Ownhammers in comparison. Although it could also just be more mid colors... or some kind of analog simulator too... hard to say. At this point I will not be purchasing any more Ownhammer IRs any longer until I find out from the company directly what A to D converters they are using. They have not answered my email on the matter. For all we know they could even be put through M-audio converters. (Not that this is a bad thing. ) But I think we have some right to know what converters are being used if an industry standard company like Redwires is even sharing that info.

Coke is pretty standard - but we will probably never know whats in it...
What about the Colonel's 11 secret herbs and spices? - well, I'm not sure if I want to know..

They have not answered my email on the matter. For all we know they could even be put through M-audio converters.

I'm not sure who you sent this email to, but it wasn't to me. If you sent it through the contact/support portal, make sure that you get a message success screen on return; I don't not respond to emails.

However, had I been sent one, I would have more or less referred you to Q/A #11 on the Speaker Cabinets F.A.Q. page, where this question may not be answered to your satisfaction, but is addressed. I have no interest in discussing it further as for the reasons listed in that Q/A, nor shall I respond to any further posts regarding this, but can assure you it's not an M-Audio. ;)

Pity to see you won't be around for a lot of the really cool libraries coming out, I guess you'll be letting everyone else have all the fun! No hard feelings. :)

Best Regards,
Kevin
OwnHammer.com

Coke is pretty standard - but we will probably never know whats in it...
What about the Colonel's 11 secret herbs and spices? - well, I'm not sure if I want to know..

That is probably because if coke or KFC would actually tell people how they make these products, or what is used to make them, then they would likely be avoided like one would avoid grim death.

Last edited:
I'm not sure who you sent this email to, but it wasn't to me. If you sent it through the contact/support portal, make sure that you get a message success screen on return; I don't not respond to emails.

A "message was sent successfully" prompt was provided both at the Ownhammer inquiry form, as well as at the gmail mailing engine.

However, had I been sent one, I would have more or less referred you to Q/A #11 on the Speaker Cabinets F.A.Q. page, where this question may not be answered to your satisfaction, but is even addressed or not.

And why don't we go ahead then and observe this section. But before we do that, please be advised that whether I am satisfied or not with the answer is irrelevant to the fact of whether the question is addressed. And based on the actual response to question 11, I have every reason to believe that no such addressing has taken place to this date. Here is question #11:

11) What additional equipment not listed on the Impulses Home Page was used for impulse response capture?

View/Hide Answer

Due to the popularity of online community message boards and forums, many people hear with their eyes instead of their ears. To avoid preconceived notions via the placebo effect, all that will be disclosed is that all equipment is of professional studio caliber, and no corners were cut at ANY point in the signal chain. The power amplifier used for the Speaker Cabinet libraries is solid state to allow the most transparent connection to the cabinet and onward.

Hmm... this is dubious at best. In order for your statement about any preconceived notions to be compatible with the first statement in that answering paragraph, then you should not have indicated that the gear used was of professional caliber. By mentioning this, it already botches what would be a fair and controlled test, by already making the end user believe that the IRs are premium converter-generated. But this whole paragraph to FAQ #11 is not an answer, but more of an evasion. And if you want your IRs to remain a mystery, then why even answer that the IRs are 'not' made with m-audio converters? For all I know, your statement could even lead us me to believe they are since you fail to state what they ARE made with.

But I am not interested in what the IRs are 'not' made with, I am interested in knowing what they 'are' made with.

I have no interest in discussing it further as for the reasons listed in that Q/A, nor shall I respond to any further posts regarding this, but can assure you it's not an M-Audio. ;)

Since I have demonstrate that the reasoning listed in the Q/A is unsatisfactory, I would question the nature of why you wish not to discuss my valid inquiry further. Why conceal something in the dark if the truth of the matter is actually of top-caliber? If the IRs are indeed of that caliber, then quite the reverse would be apparent, because it would be followed by your willingness to discuss the matter further. But a refferal to the statement "all equipment is of professional studio caliber, and no corners were cut at ANY point in the signal chain", followed by a blatant refusal to discuss the matter further is quite an evasion of my question, very unsatisfactory, and definitely not incompatible with the existence of an m-audio converter in the signal chain. Especially since many also consider m-audio products to be studio caliber and one cannot dismiss such persons for that opinion.

And I am a little bit unsatisfied with the results I have been achieving with ownhammer IRs in relation to the rest of my IRs, and i have had no choice but to begin an inquiry into the gear used in their capture to be sure we can identify the possibility that it is indeed my engineering abilities which are leading to this lack of results, and surely not the gear used in their capture. But no such clarification on behalf of Ownhammer has been forthcoming.

Pity to see you won't be around for a lot of the really cool libraries coming out, I guess you'll be letting everyone else have all the fun! No hard feelings. :)

Well I did not approach the matter with any intent to produce feelings, but it is a little difficult for me to be satisfied with my purchase if you can't even tell me what converters you used. The objective in the free market is to avoid producing feelings of resentment among one's client base.

Last edited:
ToneFreak, either like em or don't.

What was used and how they were obtained has little to do with anything if they sound great. And they do.

Redwire divulges more info than Ownhammer, but that is their choice. It is their business, literally.

Another contentious issue for you to go on about forever no doubt. sigh.

The following is in reference to Redwirez IRs - Taken directly from the Redwirez website, in reference to the Big Box IRs:

- Cabs powered w/ Bryston 4B, known for flat freq. response, ample power and low distortion
- Recorded with Prism Sound Orpheus converters for top quality AD/DA conversion
- Sampled with a Neve 1073 and a pair of 1084s, highly regarded preamps for recording guitar

I hear the Prism sound Orpheus converter in Clark Kent's example above that he has kindly shared. (or at least, I think I do). But I prefer not speculating about the other item compared. For these reasons, I am kindly asking Ownhammer one more time to share the equipment used in the making of the Ownhammer IRs so I can be sure exactly what I am using and so we can compare the gear used to the Redwirez gear used - for the same subjective reasons that a painter wishes to be informed of the colors on his palette. In this case, just consider me color-blind and in need of aid.

Last edited:
Not a great comparison / example. The painter's colors are equivalent to how things sound through the OH IRs. And that's what you're already able to see, eh, hear now.
What you're asking is which equipment the painter uses to create his colors. May be of interest if you're interested in sustainability etc. but not really interesting in the field of tone.
Either you like 'em or you don't. It's Ownhammer's privilege.
Meanwhile I'd like to know with what computer you type these messages, what software, the quality of the internet connection and cables, etc. so I can compare these with the stuff used by others to type messages and decide whether it's worth reading. ;)

Tone_Freak: Kevin says no. No means... no. Do you not understand no? No matter how passively-aggressive you now rant and post endlessly to pull this thread and any other you deem unworthy based on your expert opinion, he will not answer you and has addressed the answer - which when I last checked was, umm, no (checked again.... still, "No.").

So don't use them if you don't like them. But don't muck up every OwnHammer thread with your typical BS and expert opinion. We get it, you don't like something. You are expert at everything, we are not worthy. Thank you for teaching us from your fountain of expert knowledge.

Feel free to now edit, and reedit all your posts to twist what you've posted thus far.

The answer from Ownhammer still seems to read something like.... no.

Tone_Freak said:
A "message was sent successfully" prompt was provided both at the Ownhammer inquiry form, as well as at the gmail mailing engine.

The mailer is a server side function and routes the message directly to a domain mailbox. At no point should Gmail be involved or informed until I have responded to the message sent, assuming the email address was entered correctly for me to reply to. I'm not sure where or how you're submitting this, but your description does not make sense with the functionality of the script on the page. The contact form is:

http://www.ownhammer.com/support/contact/

On message success, you would be forwarded to:

http://www.ownhammer.com/support/contact/sent.html

Which internet browser, and for giggles what operating system, are you using? I'd be very willing to troubleshoot, though I have double, triple, and quadruple checked this in the last few minutes and have instantly received every message submitted. I'll run through all the browsers I have when I have the time, though I don't suspect there to be any issues at current; this is the first I've heard of this. If you'd like to discuss the emailing problem in further detail, please shoot me a PM so we don't junk up the thread with unrelated topics.

Thanks! :)

Tone_Freak: Kevin says no. No means... no. Do you not understand no? No matter how passively-aggressive you now rant and post endlessly to pull this thread and any other you deem unworthy based on your expert opinion, he will not answer you and has addressed the answer - which when I last checked was, umm, no (checked again.... still, "No.").

The answer from Ownhammer still seems to read something like.... no.

Ok, then no it is! I am not in the business of coercing anyone to give me information. But then how is this good for business?

with your typical BS and expert opinion. We get it, you don't like something. You are expert at everything, we are not worthy. Thank you for teaching us from your fountain of expert knowledge.

Just to clarify, I dont claim expertise, I only ask questions. There is a difference. For example - in another thread I wished to know if there was any sonic content missing from the IRs of condenser microphones as compared with the real thing. I was not sure. I just like to be sure. This is the only reason for my existence on forums such as gear slutz and this one - to ask questions and hope for an honest answer. If you read the posts for what they are, regardless of any other history pertaining to prior disputes in other threads, you will see that this is all these posts inquire for. Questions, and definitely no claim of expertise on mybehalf.

Feel free to now edit, and reedit all your posts to twist what you've posted thus far.

Just to clarify this too, that only occurs if there is a spelling/grammar error if the double check was not ideal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom