Expression knobs - who's using them?

jetdriver1775

Experienced
Looking for ideas for an expression knob. I have a regular pedal into 'Pedal1' for wah, etc. and might use a knob for more options.

What do you find handy to have on a knob, that you don't use another pedal for?

I have two (near right) - one assigned to w/d mix and one assigned to output volume:

View attachment 121448
How did you manage to make Control Switches work with an external buttons?... Aren't they working with Fractal controllers only?
I'm in dare need to be able to assign those to my Behringer FB controller, but this feature is in the "Wish" list like forever.

Set the external switches to “stand in switches” which can map to any button that has been set up on any layout screen.
This probably works for pedal with TRS connections, but definitely not with a typical midi controller like Behringer :/

How did you manage to make Control Switches work with an external buttons?... Aren't they working with Fractal controllers only?
I'm in dare need to be able to assign those to my Behringer FB controller, but this feature is in the "Wish" list like forever.
They are just generic momentary switches plugged into the external switch/XPDL jacks on the FM3 and FC6, and they are assigned as stand-in switches for the Control Switches (well ... 6 of them are - the other 2 are assigned to other functions). I haven't tried that with a MIDI controller (no reason to ... better to plug in hardware and let the Fractal units do the assignments, in part because I can easily change them on a per preset or global basis without having to program an external device). That said, I just use them as 'modifiers' - can't you map a MIDI CC to 'external 1', for example then use that instead of a Control Switch?

Last edited:
That said, I just use them as 'modifiers' - can't you map a MIDI CC to 'external 1', for example then use that instead of a Control Switch?
Nope :( Control switches is not something supported by MIDI, unfortunately.
Just to clarify - you can't map SC2 to enable/disable in-amp boost, for example, to the external midi controller.

I have one attached to a filter block for volume boost and one attached usually to delay mix. I used knobs off an old Fuzzface enclosure, big enough I can spin em with my foot

Is it possible to map a master volume knob to one expression knob?
Let’s say, I’d put my output knob of FX3 level at maximum and controlling the master level from a expression knob

At least for me, I don't see the value in them. I think the perform pages do what they would do just about as quickly/easily. I think having more expression pedals would be worth more if I actually wanted to do something other than a Wah that way.

Is it possible to map a master volume knob to one expression knob?
Let’s say, I’d put my output knob of FX3 level at maximum and controlling the master level from a expression knob
Sure. Just map the expression knob to however you want to control volume.

You could use it to control the level knob in the amp block or the output block (but make sure to set the min/max ranges so you don't start clipping the output), or you could put a volume/filter/etc. block near the end of the chain and use the knob to control that.

Back
Top Bottom