Powered Cabs

GuyJames

Inspired
I’ve looked around online for a bit and all signs are pointing to the Friedman ASC-10. I’m just curious about your experience with all the new products out there now. Gemini 2 Cabs were also on my radar. Unfortunately I just don’t have a store that carries any of these options. Is there anything about any of the options out there that just stand out as clear tone winners or are they all pretty much more or less the same feel?

My only experience with powered cabs is the Line 6 Powercab + which isn't terrible but I wouldn't buy one personally.

side note, it seems like the real winner is just using a power amp and running a real cab but for me that kind of defeats the purpose of using these units.

it seems like the real winner is just using a power amp and running a real cab but for me that kind of defeats the purpose of using these units.
I definitely don't share that opinion. I love using my FM9 with a power amp and stereo cabs. I also love using it through my studio monitors. I also love using it in 4CM with my amp(s). All use cases are valid imo.

But I'll let you get back to your original question now. :)

I definitely don't share that opinion. I love using my FM9 with a power amp and stereo cabs. I also love using it through my studio monitors. I also love using it in 4CM with my amp(s). All use cases are valid imo.

But I'll let you get back to your original question now. :)
I'm sure the power amp/real cab option is truly the most authentic amp experience and tonally best as a stand alone approach. It is a different experience when going back to studio monitors for recording and such though. I guess I just want to streamline the effort I put into tone shaping through monitors and studio recording to be the same on stage.

I use two Atomic CLR cabs. Couldn't be happier with the sound, but looking for something smaller that sounds similar.
I was considering them a long time ago but every time I think about them I read how they seem to have issues a little too often and how Atomic has awful customer service.

Recently I've kinda considered EV PXM-12Ms or Redsound MF10s but I'm happy with my real cabs and I don't have Any real reason to want to downsize. For now.

I was considering them a long time ago but every time I think about them I read how they seem to have issues a little too often and how Atomic has awful customer service.

Recently I've kinda considered EV PXM-12Ms or Redsound MF10s but I'm happy with my real cabs and I don't have Any real reason to want to downsize. For now.
I wish the MF10 was tilt-able. Also that it was the size of the ELIS.8 lol

Heard good things about red sound. How do all these ploptions compare to your real cabs? Has anything come close to feeling as good?

Heard good things about red sound. How do all these ploptions compare to your real cabs? Has anything come close to feeling as good?
I haven't tried them actually. I've only tried some Matrix FRFRs a long time ago, more recently a Headrush, and a Laney. I disliked each of them.

I've been using an active Xitone with my FM9 and my AX8 prior to that. I'm still a plenty happy camper. I want a 2nd. One thing I'd add is, I'm not a fan of any FRFR that comes in a plastic box. YMMV

I have two PXM, and love them. They're small enough and light enough to carry two at once with a guitar in a gig bag, and their sound is superb.

I haven't played with the MF10s, but had their little siblings, the ELIS.8, and loved their sound. The ONLY reason I switched was because I needed something I could position better for small stages. Sukh, AKA @ZenRigs Man, has a good video comparing the MF10 to the CLR.

I was interested in the headrush but I really just want something that looks and sounds like real cab
Here’s the question, do you want the sound of “a real cab” when it’s shooting straight forward at basically knee height, or do you want to hear the sound of a cab that is pointing at your ears?

We’re not crickets, we can’t hear the sound of the cabinet when the speakers are beaming their highs at our knees. But, if we tip the cabinet so it’s pointed at our ears, and beaming the sound at our head, then we have a realistic idea of the actual sound of the amp through the speaker(s) and cabinet. And that’s the sound that the microphone picks up on stage or in the studio, and which is what the modeler is recreating.

So, what is the "real" sound? What you hear when your ears are not in the direct line of the speakers, or what you'd hear with them in line or what the microphone picks up?

I was interested in the headrush but I really just want something that looks and sounds like real cab
Me too...so I use a real cab. :)

You could consider a custom cab built with a Celestion FRFR speaker but that's still going to be using IRs which are mic'd tones.
Here’s the question, do you want the sound of “a real cab” when it’s shooting straight forward at basically knee height, or do you want to hear the sound of a cab that is pointing at your ears?

We’re not crickets, we can’t hear the sound of the cabinet when the speakers are beaming their highs at our knees. But, if we tip the cabinet so it’s pointed at our ears, and beaming the sound at our head, then we have a realistic idea of the actual sound of the amp through the speaker(s) and cabinet. And that’s the sound that the microphone picks up on stage or in the studio, and which is what the modeler is recreating.

So, what is the "real" sound? What you hear when your ears are not in the direct line of the speakers, or what you'd hear with them in line or what the microphone picks up?
I think this might be why I prefer real cabs. For playing guitar, maybe I'm used to the highs being attenuated a bit due to where I typically am in relation to the speaker.

But at concerts (saw Plini and Jakub Zytecki last night--phenomenal show) I do often enjoy the tones coming from the PA systems so maybe I should enjoy FRFR type systems more than I have in the past. Of course there's a sound guy and a bunch of other factors in that environment/scenario too.

I have two PXM, and love them. They're small enough and light enough to carry two at once with a guitar in a gig bag, and their sound is superb.

I haven't played with the MF10s, but had their little siblings, the ELIS.8, and loved their sound. The ONLY reason I switched was because I needed something I could position better for small stages. Sukh, AKA @ZenRigs Man, has a good video comparing the MF10 to the CLR.

Greg, have you been able to A/B the EVs against the CLR? Just curious how close they are to being similar. I know I am very happy with my Yamaha DHR12m's. The thing about buying these FRFR cabs is that it is near impossible to hear them before you buy. I also like my Friedman ASC10s but they are a different animal and yet very cab like IMO. The Friedman is what I use in a full band scenario.

I prefer the cab not pointing up. I can tweak my tone in private to get it where I want with backing tracks cranked up to balance the eq, but it just feels so much better to me that way. I’ve gotten accustomed to floor wedges but it’s not my preference

Greg, have you been able to A/B the EVs against the CLR? Just curious how close they are to being similar. I know I am very happy with my Yamaha DHR12m's. The thing about buying these FRFR cabs is that it is near impossible to hear them before you buy. I also like my Friedman ASC10s but they are a different animal and yet very cab like IMO. The Friedman is what I use in a full band scenario.
Good to hear you like the asc-10. I wish I had access to try one. Does it feel close to a real cab? Probably better when it’s cranked up.

Do you have to change your eq at all for your presets? Like less or more lows or highs?

I’ve looked around online for a bit and all signs are pointing to the Friedman ASC-10. I’m just curious about your experience with all the new products out there now. Gemini 2 Cabs were also on my radar. Unfortunately I just don’t have a store that carries any of these options. Is there anything about any of the options out there that just stand out as clear tone winners or are they all pretty much more or less the same feel?

My only experience with powered cabs is the Line 6 Powercab + which isn't terrible but I wouldn't buy one personally.

side note, it seems like the real winner is just using a power amp and running a real cab but for me that kind of defeats the purpose of using these units.
I wouldn't say it defeats the purpose of the unit maybe one of the features, there are plenty of players that use FAS in conjunction with power amps and guitar cabs! My first two years where with guitar cabs, but some of the problems that are inherent with them people tend to forget about. They are highly directional, 412's have comb filtering issues and depending on the flavor of speaker V30, Greenback etc your pretty much stuck with it unless that's your thing.

That said out of all the popular FR powered cabs out there and I haven't tried it from what I have read, the Freedman is the one that sounds most guitar cab like.

Back
Top Bottom