Block board USA Fender ?? Yes.

I bought one of those Explorers in Japan 1983. Black with 2 buckers. Body rang like a bell. Sold it to a buddy who wound up trading it away. Wish I had kept it.
I once had a dream that I was in a warehouse and all of the guitars I'd ever had were there. I woke up before I got a chance to play any of them. Ah, seller's remorse ... we've probably all had it.

Electrics are still the same as day one at Corona.

and the logo is the horrible IMO silver transition.

Now the worst part; These are 30 years old and qualify as "vintage," never in my book . The only Strats from this era that are collectable now are rare colour Strat plus models and very early runs with different parts . Fender used up Elite strat tuners and had wood screw studs for the first runs. Some had EE and E4 prefix serial numbers too. But an early 90s strat made of blockboard is about as collectable as a Yamaha Nonspacifica even though it is now 30.

I've got a MIM from that era that looks exactly like it. A while back I asked about what I could do to get it to sound and behave like a real strat. I recall in the replies you said the paint they used back then would always be a problem so I never pursued trying to upgrade/rehab it. Is the paint/coating really that bad that quality p/u's, wiring and pots can't salvage it? I'm not opposed to sanding or relic'ing it if there may be a compromising solution.

I feel I should probably state this too: I may have misunderstood what you were saying. There were several pickup suggestions but I just let it go once my mind told me the thing will always be a POS...lol.

I've got a MIM from that era that looks exactly like it. A while back I asked about what I could do to get it to sound and behave like a real strat. I recall in the replies you said the paint they used back then would always be a problem so I never pursued trying to upgrade/rehab it. Is the paint/coating really that bad that quality p/u's, wiring and pots can't salvage it? I'm not opposed to sanding or relic'ing it if there may be a compromising solution.

I feel I should probably state this too: I may have misunderstood what you were saying. There were several pickup suggestions but I just let it go once my mind told me the thing will always be a POS...lol.
If it is from a similar era the MIM was 5 to 7 pieces of poplar and a veneer front and back. latter ones are a lot better. Post a pic they vary a lot.

Back
Top Bottom