(Clear, Sorry for confusion) Can an FM3 Run Straight in to PA speaker?

Hi all, apologies for the confusion as I made a thread a few days back asking the same question but it was worded badly.
I know a PA can be quite a general term for a mixer + speaker or FOH.
What I meant by the PA was a standalone studio loudspeaker just like the one below.
Is is possible to use a XLR cable to go straight into the back of the PA? The back of the PA has a Female XLR Input and the Output of the FM3 has a Male XLR input. Would it literally be possible to use a cable with one end Male XLR one end Female XLR. Straight from FM3 to speaker? Also wanted to clarify if it would work for a smaller floor speaker too. Thanks!!
yamaha-stagepas-400bt-portable-pa-system-p40422-77849_image.jpg
11570294_800.jpg
61lzcINyG6L._AC_SY606_.jpg

I see that this is the third thread you've started on this question. I think maybe the thing missing from your list of the definition of a PA is the amplifier: mixer + amplifier + speaker. A powered PA speaker has a built in amplifier. With this, you would need nothing else. A passive PA speaker has no amp and would require one either in the mixer or by itself. This would not work (unless you had an amplifier). That make sense?

Edit: it looks like the Yamaha speaker in the above post is indeed a powered one but I am not familiar with it.

As mentioned the manual is your friend. Hopefully this will solve it once and for all. My setup is the FM3 running directly into two QSC K12.2 powered PA speakers with XLR cables.

Hi all, apologies for the confusion as I made a thread a few days back asking the same question but it was worded badly.
What I meant by the PA was a standalone studio loudspeaker just like the one below.
Is is possible to use a XLR cable to go straight into the back of the PA? The back of the PA has a Female XLR Input and the Output of the FM3 has a Male XLR input. Would it literally be possible to use a cable with one end Male XLR one end Female XLR. Straight from FM3 to speaker? Also wanted to clarify if it would work for a smaller floor speaker too. Thanks!!
11570294_800.jpg
Section 4 in the manual is a cookbook of different ways to connect the modeler to different types of equipment. It's worth reviewing as it contains settings and recommended OUT ports and the type of cables needed. For instance, the first entry would cover your situation.

Hi Matt,

Yes - now go get a mic lead, plug it in, and have some fun!

11570294_800.jpg

11570294_800.jpg
Hi Mathhew, as already stated above, this is the exact setting I use @ home (off course with smaller active powered speakers), just when you want to add additional signals (keyborad / Vocals) a mixer or an Interface like a scarlet might make sense, have fun enjoying your FM3

11570294_800.jpg
Just so you know, nobody calls a speaker a “PA”. You’re asking if the FM3 can be plugged directly into a powered speaker. The answer is “Yes”, and it sounds even better with 2 powered speakers.

You point is taken, but it really depends what circles you "travel" in. I hear it all the time, but "PA speaker" -- especially at schools, craigs ads, etc.
Sort of. Powered speakers are sometimes called “PA speakers.” Just like horns in cars are called “car horns.” But car horns are never called “cars,” and PA speakers are never called “PA’s.”

You point is taken, but it really depends what circles you "travel" in. I hear it all the time, but "PA speaker" -- especially at schools, craigs ads, etc.
Well, it is a PA speaker, in that it’s part of a PA system. Just the same as the mixing board isn’t the PA. All the components make up the PA. Anyway, have fun!

If you look at the manual, in section 4, you will understand in the quickest manner – it shows multiple methods of connecting. Powered speaker like PA is fine, like I started out with a FM3 going into 5" powered monitors, then to Headrush (powered PA-ish speakers) and I have powered FRFR speakers and a power amp with a couple cabs also.

Back
Top Bottom