Orville incoming! (Update- Recieved + An Edwards LPC!)

And... did you receive the axe?

somehow I didnt see all replies see you chased the guitar haha...
dmn thats a great looking guitar šŸ‘Œ

And... did you receive the axe?

somehow I didnt see all replies see you chased the guitar haha...
dmn thats a great looking guitar šŸ‘Œ

That wasnā€™t even half the chasing I did yesterday for the Edwards!!!

Got home in time to see the mailman parked by the boxes, I ran over to the mailbox as I was expecting another Lovepedal to show up, opened it and found a ā€œWe missed you!ā€ slip from the mailman (I didnā€™t know a signature was required, usually the tracker indicates that) so I hauled ass to his truck just to see him pulling out the driveway, chased after him screaming but no dice. Saw him go into the complex next to mine so I ran over to it, only for the security guard to stop me and tell me I was trespassing and there was no mailman that entered. I literally watched the mailman pull in 15 seconds prior.

Thinking maybe I was confused, I ran back to my truck to find the mailman. Found another lady a mile up the street who was very sweet and gave me some tips on how to get the package, then I went on the other side of the block and talked to a very rude mail lady. Defeated, went back to my apartment complex and as I was parking, thereā€™s the mailman I saw pull into the complex, across the fence. I immediately run back over and tell the security guard I can see the mailman from my parking space next door, he lets me in. Haul more ass around a maze of apartments and find the mailman, dude was SO cool and brought the guitar back to my apartment for me!!! I threw him some cash for doing so, that was really, really cool of him to do.

I had to take a shower before I could even touch this thing, itā€™s in the high 80ā€™s down here and I was DRENCHED in sweat at that point. But manā€¦..this thing is SIIIIICKKKK!!!!!

AC38742C-F0FF-468F-8F35-98A85EAB6A86.jpeg
C5A7F283-3091-4036-BBDA-A571E7F4C7EF.jpeg
5130F1F2-0696-40E9-B5B1-ACDAEEFF107E.jpeg
E5940591-9DBD-40AB-9C76-D55223D97735.jpeg

It feels exactly like my best friends E-II as far as the fit and finish. Not a flaw on the thing and nothing feels cheap by any means. All the pots are smooth, the 3-way is better quality than the one that came with my Fishmans, fretwork is beautiful, ebony board is just as tight of a grain as my JEM and the finish on this is just perfect. Iā€™m bonding with it MUCH faster than the Orville. Itā€™s got a JB in the bridge and a ā€˜59 in the neck, I dig the neck but the JB is a little mushy on the low end. Already got the Zakk Wylde EMGā€™s on the way. The Orville is getting the Aldrich in the bridge and Iā€™ll probably keep the stock neck pickup in there, but I want this Custom to be balls-out, early 90ā€™s Zakk Wylde.

I donā€™t think this will be my only Edwards LPC, Iā€™m debating buying a white one now, but I need to hold off a bit because I just went a bit nuts with purchases. Iā€™m daydreaming about going home to play it. I rarely bond with a guitar that fast and when I have, theyā€™ve become lifelong players.

And a littel family couch shot-
56524420-B942-4FBE-A3ED-89B4CDBF08D2.jpeg

I actually got a little choked up when I turned around and saw all these guitars at the same time. When I first started posting on this forum I had the white JEM and the burnt Ibanez SZ between the blue Ibanez and the Solar E-type, with a Peavey XXL amp. Even though I play every day and really love this stuff, I still felt guilty about having this stuff, regardless of the work put in to buy it all. Growing up dirt poor (like really, really poor) this was a fantasy/daydream to me to own a bunch of guitars I loved and maybe I just felt I donā€™t appreciate it as much as I should, coming from that. I should be playing a lot more and putting out much more music than I am.

Even though I play every day and really love this stuff, I still felt guilty about having this stuff, regardless of the work put in to buy it all. Growing up dirt poor (like really, really poor) this was a fantasy/daydream to me to own a bunch of guitars I loved and maybe I just felt I donā€™t appreciate it as much as I should, coming from that. I should be playing a lot more and putting out much more music than I am.
Right there with you. I remember wanting to get a 10-speed bike when I was a kid and being told, "No. You don't need 10 speeds. I pedaled a single speed bike all the way from Laurelton to Lakewood when I was young." I was not even allowed to buy it with my own money that I had earned myself. They then proceeded to find a more expensive bike than the one I wanted, that had only 3 gears but looked like a ten speed.

That poor people are "undeserving" and it is because "they don't work hard enough" is drilled into us from birth. Because great wealth is seen as a "virtue" instead of (more accurately) "presumptive evidence of wrongdoing", we are taught to look down upon poverty as some sort of moral failing. In reality, the entire system is designed to create artificial scarcity, want, and poverty, and poor people work the hardest, under the worst conditions, with the smallest rewards, if any at all, so that some shareholder can buy his fifth yacht (completely guilt free, of course, due to his "hard work").

Screw 'em. You worked hard. You deserve them. Enjoy the guitars!

Got home in time to see the mailman parked by the boxes, I ran over to the mailbox as I was expecting another Lovepedal to show up, opened it and found a ā€œWe missed you!ā€ slip from the mailman (I didnā€™t know a signature was required, usually the tracker indicates that) so I hauled ass to his truck just to see him pulling out the driveway, chased after him screaming but no dice. Saw him go into the complex next to mine so I ran over to it, only for the security guard to stop me and tell me I was trespassing and there was no mailman that entered. I literally watched the mailman pull in 15 seconds prior.

Thinking maybe I was confused, I ran back to my truck to find the mailman. Found another lady a mile up the street who was very sweet and gave me some tips on how to get the package, then I went on the other side of the block and talked to a very rude mail lady. Defeated, went back to my apartment complex and as I was parking, thereā€™s the mailman I saw pull into the complex, across the fence. I immediately run back over and tell the security guard I can see the mailman from my parking space next door, he lets me in. Haul more ass around a maze of apartments and find the mailman, dude was SO cool and brought the guitar back to my apartment for me!!! I threw him some cash for doing so, that was really, really cool of him to do.

I had to take a shower before I could even touch this thing, itā€™s in the high 80ā€™s down here and I was DRENCHED in sweat at that point. But manā€¦..this thing is SIIIIICKKKK!!!!!

View attachment 113887
View attachment 113888
View attachment 113889
View attachment 113892

It feels exactly like my best friends E-II as far as the fit and finish. Not a flaw on the thing and nothing feels cheap by any means. All the pots are smooth, the 3-way is better quality than the one that came with my Fishmans, fretwork is beautiful, ebony board is just as tight of a grain as my JEM and the finish on this is just perfect. Iā€™m bonding with it MUCH faster than the Orville. Itā€™s got a JB in the bridge and a ā€˜59 in the neck, I dig the neck but the JB is a little mushy on the low end. Already got the Zakk Wylde EMGā€™s on the way. The Orville is getting the Aldrich in the bridge and Iā€™ll probably keep the stock neck pickup in there, but I want this Custom to be balls-out, early 90ā€™s Zakk Wylde.

I donā€™t think this will be my only Edwards LPC, Iā€™m debating buying a white one now, but I need to hold off a bit because I just went a bit nuts with purchases. Iā€™m daydreaming about going home to play it. I rarely bond with a guitar that fast and when I have, theyā€™ve become lifelong players.

View attachment 113891

I actually got a little choked up when I turned around and saw all these guitars at the same time. When I first started posting on this forum I had the white JEM and the burnt Ibanez SZ between the blue Ibanez and the Solar E-type, with a Peavey XXL amp. Even though I play every day and really love this stuff, I still felt guilty about having this stuff, regardless of the work put in to buy it all. Growing up dirt poor (like really, really poor) this was a fantasy/daydream to me to own a bunch of guitars I loved and maybe I just felt I donā€™t appreciate it as much as I should, coming from that. I should be playing a lot more and putting out much more music than I am.
Ooooooo ā€¦, tell me about that ā€œunloadedā€ Strat ? Iā€™ve been jonesing for something like that for a while !

Ooooooo ā€¦, tell me about that ā€œunloadedā€ Strat ? Iā€™ve been jonesing for something like that for a while !

Oh, thatā€™s just a Classic 50ā€™s Strat I donā€™t know what I want to do with yet. It needs a re-fret and Iā€™m thinking of just giving it to my uncle at this point. He fell in love with it when he played it and I havenā€™t touched it since I put the red Gilmour Strat together almost a year ago. My uncle loves working on guitars and is great with frets, I think heā€™ll get a lot more out of it than I will! The 7.25ā€ radius just isnā€™t for me, especially on a guitar that needs a re-fret!

Right there with you. I remember wanting to get a 10-speed bike when I was a kid and being told, "No. You don't need 10 speeds. I pedaled a single speed bike all the way from Laurelton to Lakewood when I was young." I was not even allowed to buy it with my own money that I had earned myself. They then proceeded to find a more expensive bike than the one I wanted, that had only 3 gears but looked like a ten speed.

That poor people are "undeserving" and it is because "they don't work hard enough" is drilled into us from birth. Because great wealth is seen as a "virtue" instead of (more accurately) "presumptive evidence of wrongdoing", we are taught to look down upon poverty as some sort of moral failing. In reality, the entire system is designed to create artificial scarcity, want, and poverty, and poor people work the hardest, under the worst conditions, with the smallest rewards, if any at all, so that some shareholder can buy his fifth yacht (completely guilt free, of course, due to his "hard work").

Screw 'em. You worked hard. You deserve them. Enjoy the guitars!

Pretty hard to argue against any of that!

Even though I play every day and really love this stuff, I still felt guilty about having this stuff, regardless of the work put in to buy it all. Growing up dirt poor (like really, really poor) this was a fantasy/daydream to me to own a bunch of guitars I loved and maybe I just felt I donā€™t appreciate it as much as I should, coming from that. I should be playing a lot more and putting out much more music than I am.
I just wanted to reply too with a similar sentiment. I bought a new Slash Les Paul for myself for my birthday a few weeks ago. It's probably the 7th guitar I've owned, and it's four times more than I've ever paid before. It was a bit of an impulse buy: I played it and had to have it. (I compared against every Les Paul in the whole store, and it has a magic in my hands that none of the others had.) We had to dip into savings to pick it up, and I'm slowly going to refill that over the coming months. I've felt so guilty about it that I lost a lot of sleep over the holidays. My wife doesn't understand the problem ā€” to a normal human, it's just a nice instrument. But to those of us who pay for them, use them, and keep them, it feels like a whole other thing. A weight of responsibility that comes with owning something so nice, perhaps?

Whatever it is, I suspect many of us feel and have felt how you do. (Even getting Fractal gear for the first time felt like that.) You are not alone! And it is ok. As I always say to myself, King David supposedly had some pretty nice harps, and if it's ok for a God-fearing man like him, who am I to judge myself.

I just wanted to reply too with a similar sentiment. I bought a new Slash Les Paul for myself for my birthday a few weeks ago. It's probably the 7th guitar I've owned, and it's four times more than I've ever paid before. It was a bit of an impulse buy: I played it and had to have it. (I compared against every Les Paul in the whole store, and it has a magic in my hands that none of the others had.) We had to dip into savings to pick it up, and I'm slowly going to refill that over the coming months. I've felt so guilty about it that I lost a lot of sleep over the holidays. My wife doesn't understand the problem ā€” to a normal human, it's just a nice instrument. But to those of us who pay for them, use them, and keep them, it feels like a whole other thing. A weight of responsibility that comes with owning something so nice, perhaps?

Whatever it is, I suspect many of us feel and have felt how you do. (Even getting Fractal gear for the first time felt like that.) You are not alone! And it is ok. As I always say to myself, King David supposedly had some pretty nice harps, and if it's ok for a God-fearing man like him, who am I to judge myself.
King David got spanked by the Lord a few times for his arrogance and rebellion. But I get your point.šŸ˜‰

I think the way I could add to this discussion without getting into the bushes of what truly will alway makes poverty a constant problem regardless of the wealthy. I have had heated discussions in the past about young people obtaining expensive guitars and I was on the defending end of the young people. I remember when I was like 38 and I finally worked my ass off and got a job that let me afford a brand new 2001 PRS McCarty. There was a 15 year old kid there with his parents trying out and then buying a similar PRS as me. Part of me at first was like ā€œdamn, must be niceā€, but as I went back and forth between a Brazilian RW neck and the non RW I was playing and ultimately purchased, I started to realize how all the refinements would ultimately make me want to play more and hopefully become a better player, I changed my tune and felt true happiness for this kid. Also, I could see that he had budding talent and was grateful that this could launch his playing into his dreams. So in this sense I agree, when it comes to creative and artistic endeavors we all deserve and must encourage them.

Just make sure you leave enough to feed, house and cloth your children.šŸ˜‰ Plus the real difference is oneā€™s understanding of success.

P.S.
I ran into that kid through the years at the PRS Experience and he was playing and getting better and better. I made a friend of sorts through all that.šŸ‘

I could within certain contexts and not with all of it because there is a lot said that spans a wide spectrum, so I wonā€™t.
Yeah, there's some generalizations in there I probably ought to have specifically called out, but didn't. But, the poor are generally not capable of accessing the economy of scale with their bad deeds that the rich and large corporations can, so I cut the poor a little break, even the relatively small percentage of lazy poor, because I believe it is better for a few to get help they don't deserve than to make it difficult (or impossible) for even one person deserving of help to obtain it. Just like in an engine or a guitar's nut slot, things work best when just a little space and lubrication is in those critical spots....

Yeah, there's some generalizations in there I probably ought to have specifically called out, but didn't. But, the poor are generally not capable of accessing the economy of scale with their bad deeds that the rich and large corporations can, so I cut the poor a little break, even the relatively small percentage of lazy poor, because I believe it is better for a few to get help they don't deserve than to make it difficult (or impossible) for even one person deserving of help to obtain it. Just like in an engine or a guitar's nut slot, things work best when just a little space and lubrication is in those critical spots....
Iā€™ll try to be as discreet as possible. I have found that a lot of poverty is not even about laziness, but a form of greed or envy and/or coveting their neighbors things. Itā€™s quite a paradoxical and ironic occurrence. I find when I talk about this concept most donā€™t get it. I also agree that there are plenty of traps laid down by the unscrupulous to snare these types of people, but it still comes down to their own nature that causes them to become trapped. Of course there are plenty of people who are in dire straights due to no fault do their own. It probably would be good to discern the difference between poverty and Americaā€™s idea of ā€œpoorā€ which is not having a fully furnished living space with stove, refrigerator, microwave, big screen tv with cable and some sort of game console. The reason I feel confident in this opinion is I have some family members and in-laws who fall into this group. Also, my wife spent 35 years in an urban school district being mostly an administrator for the Special Education department. Some crazy stories of upside down thinking from both the system and the parents of the students. This is where you see the vicious cycle played out over and over. No amount of money that is provided makes any difference. These are not a relatively small group of people.

I also agree that giving the ā€œbenefit of the doubtā€ or forgiveness is the best avenue. However as a society and when making policy it is of no help to anyone to institutionalize this way of living. Even though Iā€™m only 57 my Dad was born in 1919 and my Mom is 1923. I was most likely an ā€œoopsā€ and came along late in life. Although I did have 6 siblings that spanned over almost 3 decades. Anyway, my parents lived through a real depression and heavy duty world upheaval and I got a strong dose of that mentality. Today while watching the world completely unravel I realize how their ideas were way more righteous and sustainable. Basically my father sacrificed any personal desires to provide for his family.

Finally, the irony I continue to see in America is the more those who claim to be about the under privileged getting their ā€œfair shareā€ get into power the more I see the once strong charitable and benevolent community organizations disappearing. So all thatā€™s left for the truly needy is to go begging the State for help which is full of the worst scoundrels to walk the earth. For instance our medical system is circling the toilet bowl and about end up in the sewer. The rationing of care and long waits (so you croak before getting help) is becoming a permanent fixture. It has nothing to do with the system being overwhelmed by some pandemic. It is all about elimination of workers to cut costs. The only problem is the cost of care keeps going up and up. Thatā€™s just one aspect of a proper functioning society that is collapsing. I promise Iā€™m done and probably said too much already.

View attachment 113887
View attachment 113888
View attachment 113889
View attachment 113892

View attachment 113891

When you said about building a Gilmour strat earlier I thought you meant a Black Strat, but just seen your red 57 copy, that's my fav DG guitar too.

I got to go to the auction preview in London. Wandering around it was great to see the Another Brick In the Wall LP, and the 0001 Strat, and of course the famous Black Strat.
But the No1 guitar for me was the Red Strat. I got into DG's playing around the time of the Division Bell and watch the BBC broadcast of the Earls Court show, later released as the Pulse DVD concert, over and over again. He used that guitar so much to me that WAS DG's No1 guitar.
Having walked around the three large rooms seeing all his guitars I was starting to worry the Red Strat wasn't there, but I went into the last room and a live version of Comfortably Numb was playing, and this got weird, just when the main solo kicks in, when he hits the harmonic the crown parted and there was the Red Strat right in front of me!

Attachments

• DSC_0012.jpg
    DSC_0012.jpg
    708.8 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC_0013.jpg
    DSC_0013.jpg
    876.9 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC_0014.jpg
    DSC_0014.jpg
    929.6 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC_0018.jpg
    DSC_0018.jpg
    450.2 KB · Views: 3
When you said about building a Gilmour strat earlier I thought you meant a Black Strat, but just seen your red 57 copy, that's my fav DG guitar too.

I got to go to the auction preview in London. Wandering around it was great to see the Another Brick In the Wall LP, and the 0001 Strat, and of course the famous Black Strat.
But the No1 guitar for me was the Red Strat. I got into DG's playing around the time of the Division Bell and watch the BBC broadcast of the Earls Court show, later released as the Pulse DVD concert, over and over again. He used that guitar so much to me that WAS DG's No1 guitar.
Having walked around the three large rooms seeing all his guitars I was starting to worry the Red Strat wasn't there, but I went into the last room and a live version of Comfortably Numb was playing, and this got weird, just when the main solo kicks in, when he hits the harmonic the crown parted and there was the Red Strat right in front of me!

Weā€™re of similar mind, my friend!

I got into Floyd/Gilmour a couple years before Division Bell, but that album really turned me into a devout Gilmour nerd. I was 11 when it came out and it was the first concert I ever saw, walking to our car after the show I told my dad ā€œI want to play guitarā€ because hearing Gilmour rip through a stadium and drive 60,000 people into a frenzy was pretty life changing! :D

Hahahah I had a similar experience at the NY auction; walking room to room I didnā€™t see the Red Strat anywhere, it was in the last room I went to and I had a dread that I was never going to see it! Fortunately, all the guitars but the Black Strat were at eye-level and no barrier, so I got to snap some great pics of the Red Strat!

The real treat though was my ex-wife looking at me staring at it and saying, ā€œYou know you arenā€™t going to be happy unless you touch it, Iā€™ll watch the curator, when I bump your foot, touch it.ā€ So when he looked away and I got the nudge, I left a nice fingerprint an inch or so under the bridge. If you told 11-year old me that Iā€™d be touching THE guitar that made me want to play I would have found a way to build a time machine to make it happen sooner! Iā€™ve gotten my balls busted for my excitement over touching that guitar, but IDAF, that thing changed my life.

95354C88-014B-47FA-BCEF-5ADD5CE897AF.jpeg(Thatā€™s my ā€˜I TOUCHED IT!ā€ face :D)

Also kinda noteworthy if youā€™re a Red Strat fan, Gilmour had 2 of them and only sold one, so we might see a return at some point! Polly also posted a picture of him last year with one of his Black Strat sigs with EMGā€™s in it.

The last week or so Iā€™ve been digging into Les Paulā€™s a bit more, due to the release of the Adam Jones Epiphone and wanting to see how it compared to Norlin-era LPā€™s. In the midst of that, I was bit by the LP bug for the first time in 30 years of playing guitar. I only really thought the Customs were interesting previous to the last week, but as I was digging around the MIJ LPā€™s, (Edwards, Burny, Orville, Greco) I came across a few that looked really nice.

I wasnā€™t even guitar shopping, but I ended up putting a couple on my watch lists and figured Iā€™d give myself 24 hours to debate buying one, knowing Iā€™m still definitely buying the Adam Jones Epi when the next run goes on sale. As I lay there watching TV, I kept thinking about this one particular Orville that had a beautiful top on it. It eventually got the best of me and in 30 seconds of consecutive movements, no hesitation between them, the guitar was ordered.

View attachment 113317
View attachment 113318
View attachment 113319

I cannot wait to get my hands on this. I canā€™t even remember the last time I played a Les Paul. Iā€™m generally not down with the single cut thing, Iā€™ve always wanted an LPC since seeing Chris DeGarmo with one when I first started playing, but I always thought of those as kinda separate from LPā€™s, oddly enough.

Not sure which pickups Iā€™m going to put in this, but Iā€™m hellbent on putting zebras in there. Cream/black zebras.

The first week I have it, my neighbors are just going to hear the main lick from ā€œEstrangedā€œ over and over again.
$weetne$$!

Back
Top Bottom