EVM 12L Impulse Response

There is also the Dumble 4x12 stock IR’s.

The ML pack above is my favorite so far that I’ve tried. I’ve been using it a lot lately.

I'm confused, in the tube town store they present the EVM-12L as a FRFR speaker to be used with Amp and cabsims, any advice or experience ?
"....
The TTC112REX-M5 was developed in cooperation with modeling amp users and is based on our hugely successful TTC112REX. With the TTC112REX-M5, we have taken the design in a new direction to achieve linear response across a very wide bandwidth, in effect providing a neutral platform to fully exploit the capabilities of today’s modeling amps.

This cabinet’s strength, however, is also its weakness: Its linear response makes the M5 sound rather boring when used with a true (tube) guitar amplifier, and therefore it should be paired with modeling amps only.

We strongly recommend installing an EV 12L in the TTC112REX-M5
.... "

So is the EV 12 L a guitar speaker or an FRFR speaker?

Did you check EV's site? It's a guitar speaker. Why they would use that model in what they describe as a FRFR… makes little sense.

A guitar speaker indeed. But its extended high frequencies somewhat broaden its usability, more so than other guitar speakers. For ex. for an acoustic, and even with a Cab block (at low volume levels).

Did you check EV's site? It's a guitar speaker. Why they would use that model in what they describe as a FRFR… makes little sense.
Yes I did, what made me doubt was the video comparison hereunder
A guitar speaker indeed. But its extended high frequencies somewhat broaden its usability, more so than other guitar speakers. For ex. for an acoustic, and even with a Cab block (at low volume levels).
I don't own one, but listening with correct headphones to this video (yes I guess.... YT compression is flaw...) I had that impression that the treble from the tube Amp is coming almost unfiltered through the EV while the G12H30 sounds more... "guitar like" (even a bit too much lows). So your remark that the EV accepts acoustic guitars sounds logic to me.

And this is with humbuckers. With single coil PU it might get even more accentuated.

Yes, that's true, where "somewhat" is the keyword. Here's EV's frequency chart for the speaker…

Screenshot 2023-01-18 at 3.52.22 PM.png
It's pretty good until 5K, then it dives at about 5.5K.

And, for comparison, Celestion's G12M Greenback chart…

T1221-G12M-Greenback-copy.jpg

Celestion's F12-X200 seems like a better choice…

T6351-F12-X200-copy.jpg

It's a few dB less efficient, but it's a lot flatter.

Even with a steep slope the EV's extended frequency range up to 7 kHz is noticeable in reality.
It's a guitar speaker that also happens to be working with cab sims, to a certain extent.
In the old days a forum member named Smilefan, pro or semi-pro, ran two 2x12s loaded with EV-12Ls with cab sims enabled en I'm sure that his rig sounded glorious.

The F12 uses a different approach. It's designed for cab sims while adding some guitar speaker charactistics. I had it mounted in a cabinet, and I it sounds awful without a cab sim.

Back
Top Bottom