NGD Charvel DK24/upgrades

Sometimes the angle helps to stop them being slightly too loose in the holes in the block. Marginal but I have known it stop creeks. you can also turn any spring in to a noiseless one by putting a rubber band inside it. The biggest you can fit without it getting trapped.

Today i'll be setting up the action/intonation on the new bridge. So my Charvel has a 12-16" compound radius on neck. I've been reading up tips on how to set the action/bridge and basically think i'll try the following: capo on first fret. Measure off 17th fret and aim for 4/64" on each string. then micro adjust from there on feel

Last edited:
I've managed to get the bridge floating right. No explosions yet. Now the finicky part of getting string heights then checking intonation and retuning/balancing again. These staggered tuners do make quite a difference already. you can see how much less of a break angle on the strings from the nut. bypass the string trees altogether.

Attachments

• Charvel4.jpg
    Charvel4.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
  • Charvel5.jpg
    Charvel5.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 23
I've managed to get the bridge floating right. No explosions yet. Now the finicky part of getting string heights then checking intonation and retuning/balancing again. These staggered tuners do make quite a difference already. you can see how much less of a break angle on the strings from the nut. bypass the string trees altogether.
Oh that angle is much better indeed.

Well this job turned out far easier than i was prepared for. The wilkinson bridge is really a drop in replacement for the gotoh 510 in these charvels. The intonation right out of the box was already pretty spot on. only had to adjust the height on the low and high E saddles and a touch on the B string. next is fine tuning pickup height. i already did the pickup poles to match radius of neck. then its rock n roll time. @warlockII I am very curious as well...

Congrats !!! I have one just like it. Very sweet. I never bonded with the Full Shred so I put in a Duncan RTM ......it screams !

Attachments

• IMG_2579.jpg
    IMG_2579.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
View attachment 113648

Here's my trusty DK24 HH. I have tried many pickups in this guitar but I think I struck gold with this combo - DiMarzio PAF 36th neck (DP103), Super Distortion (DP100) bridge. Also added a brass block from FU-tone to the Gotoh 510 and this is my #1 beasty nowadays! :)
I have the Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAF neck in my EBMM Axis . Beautiful pickup. i"ll never change that one.

It looks a lot like the Road Runner Gigbag that belongs to my DK24 pictured in post #148.

Attachments

• 372DF395-1815-42CC-AB93-FC411DF65572.jpeg
    372DF395-1815-42CC-AB93-FC411DF65572.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
How fussy are y'all on how your pickups sit? Height is a very subjective thing and not so much about having the bass or treble side higher than the other but when the pickup is tilted back/front. The foam spacer in the bridge cavity is slightly in the way of the pole piece screws on the underside of my bridge pup. I could see that before I even screwed it down. I suppose I could just loosen strings enough to get at it....pull out pup a bit and just cut with razor a slot in the foam where the pole piece screws are touching down. I'm not overly concerned as most my guitars that are non direct mount/ring mounted pickups never 100% sit parallel (to strings)

Last edited:
Yes Road Runner. Nice case.
Is that their Highway model? The one with the quilted top?

I know of three cases with that triangular shape: the Incase (long discontinued), the Music Area AA31, the Access Stage Five. They are, I think, among the most protective soft cases out there.

How fussy are y'all on how your pickups sit? Height is a very subjective thing and not so much about having the bass or treble side higher than the other but when the pickup is tilted back/front. The foam spacer in the bridge cavity is slightly in the way of the pole piece screws on the underside of my bridge pup. I could see that before I even screwed it down. I suppose I could just loosen strings enough to get at it....pull out pup a bit and just cut with razor a slot in the foam where the pole piece screws are touching down. I'm not overly concerned as most my guitars that are non direct mount/ring mounted pickups never 100% sit parallel (to strings)

If they’re not parallel to the face of the pickup rings, then something is pushing them out of line. That can be fixed.

If they’re not parallel to the face of the pickup rings, then something is pushing them out of line. That can be fixed.
yeah its the foam underneath. Its an easy fix. i'll just take care of it. didn't want to do it initially as i just had everything set up perfectly but it'll bother me if i leave it that way. The Suhr SSH bridge has really long pole piece screws coming from backside...the Seymour Duncans that I took out didnt. Now that I think about it...i can't recall seeing long screws like that on any pickups i've installed before. BKP, SD's , Dimarzio

Spent good amount of time today playing and getting familiar with the Suhr SSV/SSH combo. Im very happy with these pups. They are giving me exactly what I was after and basically what Suhr told me months ago when I inquired is very accurate. They said these are kind of the 'goldilocks' pickup somewhere between the Thornbuckers and Aldrich set. They sound like a great PAF to my ears. Not too hot but not low output either. It has some of the characteristics I liked from the Full shred minus the honkiness and retains right amount of percusiveness for high gain sounds; also they clean up really well and man do they split very nicely. I tried all positions in my Charvel...series/parallel/quack settings. Quite versatile. I can't say anything negative about them...these are all very fresh first impressions after a few hours of playing.

Back
Top Bottom