NGD Charvel DK24/upgrades

I have also found positions 2 and 4 to be pretty good, definitely works well if you are playing a gig where you need a Strat quack then they get you close enough to use them - however when I plug in my old Strat then I always realise the Strat just adds some magical flavour. Having said that, I have jammed to many a U2 song with the DK24 and got pretty close to what I call a good Edge tone.

The reasons I am probably a little too nervous to change the Fullshred is firstly because I like pos 2 and 4, but also because I really like how it cleans up so well when you roll the Volume pot back. I'm worried that putting another pup in there might break what is really working very well with the Fullshred. So for that I end up using my Tone a lot more and have found I'm pretty satisfied with it now.

I sent Suhr support an enquiry detailing my guitar specs and what I'm after. Asked them to compare the Thornbucker+ set and the Aldrich along with any other suggestions. They responded back with a suggestion leaning towards their SSH/SSV. Kind of the goldilocks zone between the Thornbuckers and Aldrich. Not overly hot, nor low output. Great for High gain but also cleans up really well and great for split tones.

It seems the Thornbuckers are regarded very well for a well balanced across the eq and I think they were really designed for splitting , especially to be paired with singles. But I think the overall output might still be a bit too vintage for this guitar. The Aldrich would be sweet hot but I think lacking in clarity when cleaned up ...so If i were to pull the trigger now, I'd probs opt for the SSH/SSV set.

edit: ordered the SSH/SSV. Once I get the pickups I'll do the other upgrades (Graphtech ratio tuners, wilkinson bridge) at the same time and report back

Last edited:
I sent Suhr support an enquiry detailing my guitar specs and what I'm after. Asked them to compare the Thornbucker+ set and the Aldrich along with any other suggestions. They responded back with a suggestion leaning towards their SSH/SSV. Kind of the goldilocks zone between the Thornbuckers and Aldrich. Not overly hot, nor low output. Great for High gain but also cleans up really well and great for split tones.

It seems the Thornbuckers are regarded very well for a well balanced across the eq and I think they were really designed for splitting , especially to be paired with singles. But I think the overall output might still be a bit too vintage for this guitar. The Aldrich would be sweet hot but I think lacking in clarity when cleaned up ...so If i were to pull the trigger now, I'd probs opt for the SSH/SSV set.

edit: ordered the SSH/SSV. Once I get the pickups I'll do the other upgrades (Graphtech ratio tuners, wilkinson bridge) at the same time and report back
Nice! When I updated to SSH+ and SSV, I thought the tone improved. It was still my brightest guitar at the time but not as bright as before. Pos 2 and 4 (split) still sounded really good.

@Chewie5150

I have two guitars with the SSH+ / SSV combo. They are nice sounding pickups. The SSH+ is hot but still cleans up well. The split sound of the SSH+ reminds me of a tele bridge pickup tone. The SSV is a little weak when split, but the full humbucking mode sounds nice and sweet. I think you'll like them.

@Chewie5150

I have two guitars with the SSH+ / SSV combo. They are nice sounding pickups. The SSH+ is hot but still cleans up well. The split sound of the SSH+ reminds me of a tele bridge pickup tone. The SSV is a little weak when split, but the full humbucking mode sounds nice and sweet. I think you'll like them.
I was really close to ordering the ssh+

Nice! I am very much looking forward to hearing what you think about those pickups. Although I'm on the HSS so am worried I would break the magic if I changed only one of them.

Nice! I am very much looking forward to hearing what you think about those pickups. Although I'm on the HSS so am worried I would break the magic if I changed only one of them.

Yup. Same. Mine is an HSH and I ain't messing with jack shit on that guitar. :)

Update on this thread as I'm finally getting around to installing some parts I've had since summer. quick recap. Some mods i'm doing to a MIM Charvel Pro Mod DK24 I bought second hand. What I'll be working on:
-Installing Suhr SSV+SSH
-Dropping in a Wilkinson WVS130/2P (locking) Bridge - First time installing a trem system.
-install Graphtec Staggered Ratio tuners.
-replace trem claw. Previous owner had put some goofy tremsetter badly installed. and had single claws for each screw. Question on the claw: I saw a vid where it was mentioned you should use a file to scratch through the nickel plating to expose copper flashing for soldering the ground wire to. Is this really necessary?

I'll post a few pics here and there as I go. Here's my kitchen table at the moment.

Attachments

• Charvel1.jpg
    Charvel1.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 20
  • Charvel2.jpg
    Charvel2.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 20
  • Charvel3.jpg
    Charvel3.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 20
Once I get the Wilkinson bridge in I may have a question or two. This is my first time doing a bridge install...I don't assume the radius on the wilkinson will be pre-set to match my guitar so I'll use my gauges to see where its at. make needed adjustments on saddle heights if necessary. Likely have to intonate I imagine too.

Also: Thinking of using 2 springs like so / \ . I tune in Eb and hybrid Slinky 9-46

Last edited:
Once I get the Wilkinson bridge in I may have a question or two. This is my first time doing a bridge install...I don't assume the radius on the wilkinson will be pre-set to match my guitar so I'll use my gauges to see where its at. make needed adjustments on saddle heights if necessary. Likely have to intonate I imagine too.

Also: Thinking of using 2 springs like so / \ . I tune in Eb and hybrid Slinky 9-46
I don’t think angling the springs buys you anything. Doesn’t hurt, either.

Back
Top Bottom