How to use the Darkglass B7K?

How is one suppose to use the B7K? Before an amp (like the Ampeg SVT) with a cab or just the pedal into the cab? Been looking around but there's not a whole lot of Axe FX III bass tutorials on YouTube, whether it's about the B7K or bass tones in general. I'm a novice at bass tones and trying to create a distorted bass tone.

Just like the real pedal, you can use it before an amp or on a DI. I like to use it before the SVT amp. You can use the mix knob to blend in clean signal with the distortion. My favorite though is using a crossover to keep the lows clean and only sending the highs to the B7K at 100% mix. This works great on super low tuned bass in modern metal.

Yep it « works » with both config with or without the amp block . Also the others dist of the unit for guitar can work well on bass too

What are typical settings for the Darkglass?
Currently I'm running a split signal; top row is a DI and bottom its the SVT with an OwnHammer SVT 4x10 cab. Should I turn the bass know all the way down/to taste on the Darkglass to have it distort only the higher frequencies?

My bass is and active/passive Woodo 5 with Bartolini-pickups. This preset is made for the bass in passive mode on the neck humbucker.

Screenshot 2022-12-19 at 15.32.30.png

I would be experimenting with comparing turning the amp on & off and/or adjusting drive knob. Any loss in distortion, try making it up in the Amp block instead (or not).

You can also run it parallel to the amp. This allows adding a variety of distortions/focus/texture without changing the basic tone of the amp. The actual pedal has a DI out to be used this way, or for the tried and true technique of running a DI in parallel.

EDIT - youre sending the full signal through the grid twice on your preset. Is that what you want to do?

I like it no amp no cab
Well, of everything I've read regarding metal bass tones, it seems many do favour the crossover/split. So that was my idea initially. That "setup" on the screenshot was originally from a bass tone where I had the DI on the top row and a Mesa Sub Blues and a Tube Screamer as the distortion part. The amp row was low cutted at 370 hz for the distortion and the DI high cutter att the same frequency for the low end.

Not sure if this method applies to when having a dedicated bass amp and B7K instead of a guitar amp (Mesa Sub Blues) and tube screamer (which is what is seen on the screenshot but with the TS changed for a B7K in this instance).....?

I bought a bass pack from @My name is mud which helped me understand bass tone sculpting a bit more. So now, after a bit of tweaking, my preset is just one row with an SVT amp + cab and the B7K in front of it. Sounds pretty good! I also track the DI along if I need it later.

You can also run it parallel to the amp. This allows adding a variety of distortions/focus/texture without changing the basic tone of the amp. The actual pedal has a DI out to be used this way, or for the tried and true technique of running a DI in parallel.
Cool. I will try this. No specific settings (e.g cut the bass to have a smacker distortion or something) or just play with the mix knob?

Just like the real pedal, you can use it before an amp or on a DI. I like to use it before the SVT amp. You can use the mix knob to blend in clean signal with the distortion. My favorite though is using a crossover to keep the lows clean and only sending the highs to the B7K at 100% mix. This works great on super low tuned bass in modern metal.
Can you show an example?

Can you show an example?
This is how I like to do it - I merge both signals into an amp + cab. Whatever works for you though. Another way would be routing the low side directly to the output as a DI. I just prefer the results I get this way. In this example my crossover frequency is 800 hz. So everything above 800 hz goes to the Darkglass, and everything below 800 hz is clean. You'll also notice that I have a compressor at the front end, and another on only the lows. Both have low ratios. This is in part because I'm not a bass player, so it helps me get more dynamic consistency when tracking. But I presume it's a good idea for most. I use the Level controls in the Darkglass and the Low side Compressor to balance my High and Low signals.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-24 at 11.34.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-24 at 11.34.40 AM.png
    836 KB · Views: 31
This is how I like to do it - I merge both signals into an amp + cab. Whatever works for you though. Another way would be routing the low side directly to the output as a DI. I just prefer the results I get this way. In this example my crossover frequency is 800 hz. So everything above 800 hz goes to the Darkglass, and everything below 800 hz is clean. You'll also notice that I have a compressor at the front end, and another on only the lows. Both have low ratios. This is in part because I'm not a bass player, so it helps me get more dynamic consistency when tracking. But I presume it's a good idea for most. I use the Level controls in the Darkglass and the Low side Compressor to balance my High and Low signals.
Cool! And whenever you need a clean bass without distortion?

Back
Top Bottom