Idk if this belongs here, but my FM3 order was cancelled...

Status
Not open for further replies.
...on the grounds of the shipping address being a freight forwarder.

Is there any way to get someone involved from the management to make an exception? Surely Im a legit buyer and I want to support FAS and not buy second hand on ebay, but this kind of US-only exclusivity barriers are really redundant in the age of online trade. Im willing to forfeit my warranty for it. I really had no idea FAS had Apple-like policy.
So what can be done here?

Thanks.

Yeah, Fractal won’t ship to a forwarding company due to too many scams in the past.

Here’s a quote from Cliff when someone in Egypt was trying to do the same thing-
We've lost tens of thousands of dollars due to fraud. Almost all of those fraudulent orders involved shipments to freight forwarders. Therefore we no longer accept orders where the shipping address is a freight forwarder

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fractal-cancelled-my-order-and-refused-to-ship.173977/

Yeah, Fractal won’t ship to a forwarding company due to too many scams in the past.

Here’s a quote from Cliff when someone in Egypt was trying to do the same thing-

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fractal-cancelled-my-order-and-refused-to-ship.173977/
I dont even get how the fraud works. Dont they have proof they have delivered the item to the specified address? They shouldnt have any responsibility for anything beyond that, how does PayPal or the bank decide whether the package was actually delivered or not? Cant you do the same scam with a US residential address if its that simple? And isnt there a way to make a specific purchase non-refundable if they chose to based on the circumstances? In general, businesses and freight forwarders should negotiate to find a permanent solution instead of outright rejecting a willing customer. And no, Im not able to pay double price, not even 1.5x, my budget is one grand, give or take. I also planned to get the exp pedal, a footswitch and the cables for those so I was already overbudget, I just wont consider the unit if thats the case.

Its just interesting how inconsistent those rules are depending on the company. I can freely buy from Amazon, Ebay, Sweetwater, tons of other small US-based sellers/manufacturers, but then theres the exceptions like EVGA, Apple and FAS that somehow get scammed and havent figured out a way.

I think you have to address the request to the distributor.. maybe g66? https://www.g66.eu/
1450 EUR. If it was priced that much in the first place, I just wouldnt look at the unit. Idk what the belief is, but this policy doesnt just make people buy the expensive option, it just forces them into the second hand market where theres zero benefit for the manufacturer.

Is there any way to get someone involved from the management to make an exception? Surely Im a legit buyer and I want to support FAS and not buy second hand on ebay, but this kind of US-only exclusivity barriers are really redundant in the age of online trade. Im willing to forfeit my warranty for it. I really had no idea FAS had Apple-like policy.

Thanks.
Rather than taking this to the forum, it needs to be addressed directly to sales@fractalaudio.com.

You know what, I said fuck it and bought from ebay, there was just about the perfect deal for 949$ for a very lightly used unit with all the stickers still on. One door closed while another opened I guess. Its just disappointing really, both in the sense that I couldnt directly support FAS (as opposed to paying double to some random dealer in EU who probably takes a larger cut off the top) and also that theres really no tolerance or willingness to offer a custom solution to what seems like a widespread problem.

Rather than taking this to the forum, it needs to be addressed directly to sales@fractalaudio.com.

I am/was in the talks with them, Im just trying all available options and diversifying my risk so to say. Its also making more information available for future reference for potential overseas customers. Whats funny is I replied to their response to my ticket asking if I can ship it to a friend's address who'll be visiting the US in Jan and they just sent me the same generic ambiguous answer that you must live in the US to order from FAS while their shipping info page says that you can indeed order to any local US address without mandating a residency. This is when I made the decision to get the ebay deal.

Just saying, of all the products you could buy used off ebay/reverb/etc., I would have the least bit of concern with FAS products as they are built to last. Have fun with your new FM3.

Just saying, of all the products you could buy used off ebay/reverb/etc., I would have the least bit of concern with FAS products as they are built to last. Have fun with your new FM3.

Thanks! I have no concerns about the quality of it, just an OCD thing of wanting it brand new and also wanting to support the manufacturer. I always try to buy from the point of origin with least amount of middlemen and I think thats the most beneficial way for both sides. The fact that there still doesnt exist a market mechanism to deal with cases like mine is disappointing.

Fractal has every right to set whatever policies they see fit to protect their business.

Yes, but that also cuts them off of quite a large worldwide market. I can assure you 90% of people wouldnt consider dealing with a "dealer" with their bullshit prices in the age of ebays, forwarders and online trade. Thats business lost and a failure to adjust to the real-life circumstances. What Id do if I were FAS is negotiate with whatever financial institution is responsible for the refunds and also with the specific freight forwarder companies to come up with policies to ensure reasonable seller protection in edge cases like this. Would also push for such legislation along with other fellow manufacturers who have such policies if thats what gets in the way. That would be the optimal, business- AND consumer-conscious move, not just making it a walled garden. Im all for FAS and of course fuck those scammers, but shit like this just triggers me to no end.

Fractal decided to work with a European Disteibutor, that distributor will provide service and 3 year warranty. The European distributor also acts as the Authorised Representative for selling in the EU. It totally makes sense that Fractal will have an agreement with the distributor that will not allow Fractal to sell directy to the markets in which they have a distributor.

And yes, the distributor will make money, G66 is a great company to deal with and provide excellent service. What you take into account the US sales price including sales tax and extended warranty, the difference is not as large as it seems initially.

Anyway, it’s Fractals policy so you may like it or not…you have to deal with it. So far they seem to be successful at what they do.

Its just disappointing really, both in the sense that I couldnt directly support FAS (as opposed to paying double to some random dealer in EU who probably takes a larger cut off the top) and also that theres really no tolerance or willingness to offer a custom solution to what seems like a widespread problem.
It's not a "random" dealer.

G66 has an excellent reputation of customer service and the additional markup is minimal when you consider that you're getting a 3 year transferable warranty (us in the US get 1 year, non-transferable).

This topic has been beat to death here (at least) several times...

It's not a "random" dealer.

G66 has an excellent reputation of customer service and the additional markup is minimal when you consider that you're getting a 3 year transferable warranty (us in the US get 1 year, non-transferable).

This topic has been beat to death here (at least) several times...
Exactly that. G66 are marvelous, nothing to say there. To my experience for Axe FX2 they even took care of my unit after expiration of the 2 years warranty without additional fees. Please cool down Aram Avagyan, you are loosing your time. Just wishing customs will not charge you with VAT and import fees.

I tried to buy a Marshall head from Thomman in Germany as they are like half the price of US dealers but guess what, They aren’t allowed to ship Marshall gear to the US….

Happens lots of times and goes both ways

Have to respect your dealers/distributors after all, or why else would anyone want to distribute your product ?

If FAS would just go and undercut G66 and sell direct to EUR, why would g66 want to partner with FAS ?

Thanks.
Send an email to sales@fractalaudio.com

Closing the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom