Hearing loss...think you have it?

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
I have never thought about it too much. Played in loud cover bands for over 23 years now. I think I will get a test just to see soon. Anyone else?

Yup, I spent a lot of years standing next to a loud (but nice) drummer, and my hearing is Dow from 13k. Having said that, it’s not too bad and I can still get a lovely hihat sound.
Thanks
Pauly

I have never thought about it too much. Played in loud cover bands for over 23 years now. I think I will get a test just to see soon. Anyone else?

Definitely yes. That's why I've been carrying ear plugs with me all the time for the past 2 years, so I can protect my ears whenever necessary.

Being a teacher I want to be able to hear and understand my pupils, even (or especially) the quiet ones. My hearing is still good enough and I want things to stay that way.

Never felt threatening volume during rehearsals or my dozen or so gigs. The perks of a bedroom musician... :)

I probably had ringing ears 2 or 3 times after concerts. First time for about an hour after my first KISS concert :D (age ±17)

I am otherwise very careful. I've had my hands over my ears during the whole gig of a friend's loud cafe gig once. I have no idea how all other people could sit in that.

IOW, I suspect to have great hearing at 50+ still, but I'm also curious what I might have lost by now.

I do wonder what people hear that don't have tinnitus? Do they hear "nothing" or is there always some kind of signal?

In total quietness, I can often hear a "signal" of which I wonder if it is tinnitus, but as it never truly bothers me, I guess/hope it's not. (Some of it is the PC)

Last edited:
At almost 49, I have some notch in my audiogram around 4KHz, no problem in real life so far: hear all conversations, even in noisy environments, hear hi hats in context, the birds peeping and most stuff at normal levels, including TV at the exacerbating low volumes that my wife loves to set. That being being said, I normally setup some eq in my phone like a couple of dbs up from 3 to 4 KHz and I like it more.

Beyond 13Khz I do not hear much, but somewhere I read from 50 yo or so is normal not to hear beyond 12Khz.

I do have tinnitus, due a long lasting issue with my new muscles.

At almost 49, I have some notch in my audiogram around 4KHz
This seems to be a classic thing? Is that typical for musicians?
Just in the last few days I was watching some videos on EQ, and I think they described that notch some people have.

I have a few db loss in one ear around 4-5kHz and another few db gone in the other ear around 6-8kHz. I still ace the functional hearing tests because my brain can hear every frequency somewhere between the two ears. But yeah, if I could take that Ronnie James Dio concert back I would. Stupid, stupid loud. I don't go to a concert without earplugs now. It's funny that people snicker at me. I guess they don't mind some hearing loss.

Most certainly, left ear but it's the low end that is going. I can plug my right ear and it sounds like someone turned the bass way down. Add to that the constant ringing, yeah it's no fun.

Played with earplugs all my career (roughly since 1983 that is) and don’t have any issues right now, except the usual hear loss that comes with age. Over the years I have seen colleagues gone practically deaf, so sad.
So please people, protect your ears, you eardrums are no match for barking Plexi’s and the like….

I suffer from Tinnitus, had my share of loud concert visits and driving motorcycle (always wearing plugs). A crazy loud concert years ago made my ears ring constantly…should have left but I didn’t and have to pay the price.

Had to give up riding motorbike and can no longer play my guitar at higher volumes. So happy with my FM9, now I can still play at low volume through my studio monitors

I know I have it - tinnitus, loss at specific frequencies - no fun. Almost certainly, I feel this came from loud music events (one major one stands out from the early 80s where VH left me pretty well deaf for a couple of days) - in my youth, earplugs were not a thing, we were ignorant of how hearing damage is permanent.

A bit of tinnitus in one ear...not from loud music, but from a single loud transient through a speaker I was too close to.

When I got fitted for musician's earplugs, my audiologist kept trying to talk me into a hearing test. I demurred, saying I don't want to know....but eventually gave in. I was very surprised to learn that my hearing is mostly undamaged.

2fhg64.jpg

Yes I do, hence my username, But not from playing guitar. It's from working in a super loud factory for 20 plus years. Hearing protection only goes so far when you work on injection presses the size of locomotives, and there were dozens in the building. Imagine two 3 ton steel plates banging against each other every 10 seconds.

I definitely have hearing loss. Bad notch in my hearing around 5K hz at the high end of guitar. Too many drunk basement jams back in the day, sticking my ear up to my amp trying to hear over everyone else... Playing full bore in my bedroom... Too many loud concerts... Overall stage volume when playing out. It's all taken its toll. I need to get hearing aids but have put it off. Maybe this year.

"The Difference Between Hearing & Listening
Is That Hearing is Naturally Acquired
But That Listening is an Art.
Be a Better Listener."

-- bleujazz3, Published 2004​

Last edited:
ya ya ya, wife says it all the time - "you can't
hear cuz u don't want to listen to me"
My Mom yelled at me that I don't listen to her.
I thought that was a funny way to begin a conversation.
I only asked her how her odd sister was doing.

Back
Top Bottom