If Setlists and Songs can be done, why reluctant to not name channels??

It's already been wished for. Creating another thread about it is superfluous.

Would it be nice? Yes!

Will responding to this thread make it happen? Not likely...

On the surface it sounds pretty easy but in practice I imagine it would be very complicated.

Every possible block would at a minimum be required to account for a certain amount of space within each preset to store a string for every channel.

How long would that be?

There are a lot of blocks x 4 channels x number of allowed instances of that block type.

And that's only dealing with the storage part...

Just as a guess, but if they added the ability to name channels there'd be over 40KB needed.
1024 user preset slots * 4 channels * 10 characters = 1024*4*10=40960

Just as a guess, but if they added the ability to name channels there'd be over 40KB needed.
1024 user preset slots * 4 channels * 10 characters = 1024*4*10=40960
Wrong math, though...

Because there are 4 channels for every block and that space would (I suspect) need to be allocated for each possible instance of each possible block in the preset.

If my count is correct from this page, that's 99 block instances for Axe Fx III.

So (rounding to 100 for simple math), 1 preset would potentially be 100 * 4 * 10 == 4000 bytes.

Now multiply that by 1024 presets and you get 4,096,000 bytes!

Edit:

To be clear, this is speculation on my part... I have no inside knowledge of the internal preset format, but I think this is how it would have to work.

Last edited:
Wrong math, though...

Because there are 4 channels for every block and that space would (I suspect) need to be allocated for each possible instance of each possible block in the preset.

If my count is correct from this page, that's 99 block instances for Axe Fx III.

So (rounding to 100 for simple math), 1 preset would potentially be 100 * 4 * 10 == 4000 bytes.

Now multiply that by 1024 presets and you get 4,096,000 bytes!

Edit:

To be clear, this is speculation on my part... I have no inside knowledge of the internal preset format, but I think this is how it would have to work.
1669371458712.png

Back
Top Bottom