Eventide H90, can it do anything AxeFX cant?

Shahar

Experienced
Self explanatory. I know some algorithms are somewhat unique, but I feel that we should be able to “fake” them using existing blocks. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

This pedal is getting a lot of hype, I’m looking for someone to talk me out of getting one :D

I looked through the H90 manual today and without knowing the fine details, there didn't seem to be much you could not replicate using Axe-Fx 3. Most seem to be "something + modulation + pitch shifting" type affairs.

To me the Eventide magic is going to be largely in having defined their particular algorithms which you can then tweak a bit to your liking whereas you would have to build some of them yourself on Fractal.

I tried if my FM3 could do something similar to H90 and I'd say yes, as long as you don't try to run the equivalent of the two most complex H90 algorithms at the same time. Which to be fair would be overkill in most situation except as a switchable setup.

H90 most likely has the edge for the speed of switching presets.

Self explanatory. I know some algorithms are somewhat unique, but I feel that we should be able to “fake” them using existing blocks. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

This pedal is getting a lot of hype, I’m looking for someone to talk me out of getting one :D
Buy yourself a guitar at this price. The tone is cold and with the axe you can already do a lot of space tones when you experiment

Regards,

😅

I'm an h9 owner and it's a cool pedal. However, there's a thread on this forum about how the h9 effects can be done with the AXE 3. From my understanding the new H90 is like having 2 H9's with some more algorithms and a new screen with more buttons and inputs/outputs.

As a long-time H9 user and having spent some time with the AxeFX trying to capture those sounds I’d say this…

You can get in the same ballpark for most of the H9 algos but the last mile requires a lot of tweaking and other modifiers to nail it. I could never get my fav H9 vibrato, harmonic trem, and tri-chorus, amongst others, perfected. The Axe could cover a bunch of the ambient effects with multiple blocks.

So the factors for me would be - how much time do you want to invest dialling in H9/H90 sounds on the AxeFX and carrying/setting up outboard gear.

I’m excited about the release and will get the H90 for my pedalboard rig.

Last edited:
I ordered the H90 coz of the seamless transitions, midi control, ease of use, and the fact I can whack it on a board with a few other stompo's. You can do that with the FM3 sure, but somehow it doesn't appeal to me as much.

At the moment I'm not really in a "throw it all in with XYZ company" mood. I'm changing a lot of stuff up and messing around and just playing with it all like lego.

I have one on backorder to use with my pedal platform setup(REVV D20 plus about dozen pedals to play around with) I used to own 3 H9s with one being a MAX(making all 3 MAX's), but combining MIDI to control all 3 has never been a strength.
Looking forward to playing around with the H90. Leon Todd has a great video(big surprise) about the unit.

To me it matters the most how it Sounds …..I know the Fractals can do everything the Eventide can do with multiple blocks and stuff but I myself really like the ‘tone’ of the Eventide FX….. bit more heavier, thicker…. Fractal is very neutral IMHO. So will get the H90 for sure for my Tube Amp + Suhr Reactive Load IR Rig and H90 stereo FX :)

Some of the new pitch algorithms are out of reach. PrismShift for example.

To me it matters the most how it Sounds …..I know the Fractals can do everything the Eventide can do with multiple blocks and stuff but I myself really like the ‘tone’ of the Eventide FX….. bit more heavier, thicker…. Fractal is very neutral IMHO. So will get the H90 for sure for my Tube Amp + Suhr Reactive Load IR Rig and H90 stereo FX :)
Try hi cut.

Replicating preset patches from other devices in the Axe Fx is largely dependent on how knowledgeable you are in what’s available, how to combine and adjust that to get to a specific result, and how long you’re willing to spend chasing the match. I’ve been regularly amazed at people coming up with sounds that I had no idea could be made with the Axe Fx.

That said, there is nothing that replaces everything to every players satisfaction, real or imagined. And there’s nothing at all wrong with adding outboard stuff to the Axe Fx arsenal of sounds. If there is something an H9 (or 90) does that is spectacular and essential to you, then you should add one to the rig! I promise, Cliff will not repossess your Fractal Audio Systems gear for doing it. :)

To the OPs question, my guess is (I own an Axe Fx III-T, but not an H90) that there would be things an H90 was designed to do that no other unit can easily replicate, if it can be reproduced at all. The bigger question is if i need whatever that might be, or if the workflow to get it is just better there. In that case, I’d add it without hesitation. As I have a pedalboard I use with my amps, I was considering adding an H9… so maybe an H90 is a worthwhile consideration! It’s not cheap, but then neither is the Axe Fx.

I'm an h9 owner and it's a cool pedal. However, there's a thread on this forum about how the h9 effects can be done with the AXE 3. From my understanding the new H90 is like having 2 H9's with some more algorithms and a new screen with more buttons and inputs/outputs.

DSP-wise, I’m pretty sure there’s a lot more to the H90 than two H9’s. They’ve leveled up the processing power. It’s a new beast, with familiar but overhauled algorithms to take advantage of more powerful hardware. That’s my takeaway.

Replicating preset patches from other devices in the Axe Fx is largely dependent on how knowledgeable you are in what’s available, how to combine and adjust that to get to a specific result, and how long you’re willing to spend chasing the match. I’ve been regularly amazed at people coming up with sounds that I had no idea could be made with the Axe Fx.
Case in point the recent threads about the Keeley Andy Timmons Halo delay pedal emulations.

That was a really cool thing to watch (and hear) unfold, and ultimately included Robert Keeley himself chiming in here AND the addition of the Aurora type in the MultiTap Delay.

Back
Top Bottom