Devin Townsend going over his main preset/GP-100 sound

Dev did say he would be happy to share it during his last twitch stream.

Just gotta get those two to connect I guess haha.

Hahahaha I dug up the thread to share this; I’m just watching it now for the first time and chuckled every time I saw “Hey Dev, Matt Piccone said….” pop up over and over until he finally answered. I was immediately wondering who it was on the forum who asked. :D

I gotta get the new album.

It quickly made it’s way into my top 3 favorite Dev albums. Way more laid back than a lot of his stuff, but he stills heavies it up here and there. He’s been saying that the album is basically a reaction/therapy for getting through the pandemic and the chaos that erupted during that whole period and going into the studio to write a bunch of aggressive crazy shit wasn’t what he was feeling, he wanted it to be the opposite of everything going on socially, so we got Devin Leppard. And while he’s been making Def Leppard jokes about the album, the only comparison I see is that the songs are catchy as hell.

The 2nd disc is a bit closer to what we‘ve known from Dev for a while, a bit more proggy with the crazy song structures and off the wall stuff.

It’s been on repeat in my truck/house since it came out!

It quickly made it’s way into my top 3 favorite Dev albums. Way more laid back than a lot of his stuff, but he stills heavies it up here and there. He’s been saying that the album is basically a reaction/therapy for getting through the pandemic and the chaos that erupted during that whole period and going into the studio to write a bunch of aggressive crazy shit wasn’t what he was feeling, he wanted it to be the opposite of everything going on socially, so we got Devin Leppard. And while he’s been making Def Leppard jokes about the album, the only comparison I see is that the songs are catchy as hell.

The 2nd disc is a bit closer to what we‘ve known from Dev for a while, a bit more proggy with the crazy song structures and off the wall stuff.

It’s been on repeat in my truck/house since it came out!
After listening to it quite a bit the last week, musically I don't find it to be too different (there's a few exceptions) than his previous work. I think the stand out thing for me is the drums are probably the simplest and stripped down of any of his releases.

Back to the IR though, would be cool. Wish he'd share his GP IR as well, but that's the real secret sauce! There was talk back before the Empath tour of doing a complete pack with/for Fractal. That seems to have dissolved and he's doing it with Neural now.

Yeah, I can see a plugin from NDSP on the cards for DT. I'd love it if FAS brought out some NDSP-type suites to rival (better) the NDSP stuff. They could actually port the presets to the Axe III. Just like NDSP promised with their plugins, but didn't deliver.
With the recent intro of the Positive Grid OMNYSS plugin, NDSP’s reign in that plugin space is threatened a little. People not wanting to pay ~$200 for NDSP could try/buy OMNYSS for half that price. Competition in NDSP clone space is about to pop! Maybe not super-profitable for a lower margin company.

On the other hand, Fractal is kingzilla of amp modeling and effects. Fractal algos turned into similar dirt-simple turnkey plugins — like NDSP and OMNYSS — might be a solid moneymaker. It would probably require a dedicated software product “department” to pull it off, though.

On the other hand, Fractal is kingzilla of amp modeling and effects. Fractal algos turned into similar dirt-simple turnkey plugins — like NDSP and OMNYSS — might be a solid moneymaker. It would probably require a dedicated software product “department” to pull it off, though.
Unfortunately hackers tend to turn otherwise profitable software into less than a "solid moneymaker".

I'm pretty sure this has been discussed before and that is one reason why Fractal wouldn't go down that path.

Unfortunately hackers tend to turn otherwise profitable software into less than a "solid moneymaker".

I'm pretty sure this has been discussed before and that is one reason why Fractal wouldn't go down that path.

I don’t see why any hardware company would invest the effort unless they believed they could rule that software space. With a bajillion varieties of amp/cab/FX plugins and stand-alone apps out there already, it would take more than being “the best” to make a dent. It would require a new class of software, or a revolutionary (or at least completely novel) UX to draw people in and convince them to buy. —=={{ Fractal does not do also-ran! }}==—

Regarding hackery: it’s harder to “hack” or reverse engineer firmware than software, by orders of magnitude. For starters, the hardware is the “iLok” of the firmware. :p

With software, the lowest-hanging fruit is bypassing security features. That’s usually where most of the hackery happens. Then they can or try to sell the cracked version for a nominal fee on “warez” sites. Even if they don’t try to sell it, a cracked version pollutes the space and cheapens the product.

At higher levels of hackery is reverse engineering, which requires a lot more expertise and motivation. That’s rarer and far less profitable because it requires much more effort. And it can be detected on the other end, because the ripoff version itself can be decompiled and analyzed.

That’s a lot of baggage, on top of just making a killer piece of software.

I agree: not worth it.

That’s a lot of baggage, on top of just making a killer piece of software.

I agree: not worth it.

Not to mention that once you go down the software route, that means you have to run the software using unreliable PC hardware. With my luck it'd start a windows update halfway through a set and reboot or just stop working because it feels like it. The axe FX hardware is solid and reliable.

Not to mention that once you go down the software route, that means you have to run the software using unreliable PC hardware. With my luck it'd start a windows update halfway through a set and reboot or just stop working because it feels like it. The axe FX hardware is solid and reliable.
With how much of any given live show is run by computers these days it doesn't seem too outlandish to consider running a software plugin for guitar sound. I don't think it's any more or less reliable than anything else. Just don't run your guitar sound on a $99 Lenovo Ideapad :p

I haven't dabbled with any software plugins, but if Devin releases his sounds through a Neural DSP plugin I'll dip a toe in and check it out. Still would have preferred the proposed Fractal pack but seems the ability to monetize such a thing with Fractal isn't viable.

With how much of any given live show is run by computers these days it doesn't seem too outlandish to consider running a software plugin for guitar sound.

Since it's a Devin thread anyway I guess it's fitting to share this 15 minute video of him having to entertain a crowd because their computer took a dump

I have never had a second of issues with the reliability of my axe, I definitely cannot say the same about many of the computers in my life.

Nice! Let me know what you switched them to.

Here's my current "Devin" preset. It's made up of stuff from his Artist Preset and what he's shared on Twitch. Has my Roland GP-100 tone match in the IR Player. I think the GP sound is much closer than my previous uploads. I am not 100% happy with the dry sound but it's a moving target really.

This one was done on FW19.

@Admin M@ If you got any tips on this that you're free to share please do so. Thanks!
Thank you so much for this preset! Hopefully one day Devin will release "The Sound" IR, but until then, this preset is pretty near perfect.

Back
Top Bottom