FM3 Why... Did I Mess Up?!

That's a great tone, so you can be forgiven for a single note oopsie! Are you playing the PRS in your avatar there?

That's a great tone, so you can be forgiven for a single note oopsie! Are you playing the PRS in your avatar there?

Thanks so much! No, I chose the 513 for this weekend. It's a 2008 513 blue mateo, I think I was playing the full humbucking mode (up) and neck pickup. When selecting an axe, I usually look up what the original artists used to play the recording and match it with my current PRS lineup ;)

Always double-down and play the wrong note again. That way people think you meant it.
That's what I always heard. Then bend it up to pitch the 2nd time.

I have something sort of opposite happen lately, and I've noticed it somewhat frequently. During a memorized solo, by brain 'blanks' for an instant, yet my muscle memory carries me through. It feels like driving and realizing for a moment you don't remember where you're going. Almost like your brain slipped briefly into subconsciousness.

Always double-down and play the wrong note again. That way people think you meant it.
It's funny you say that Cliff, I played in a P&W band with a guy who thought that way. He was super 'learned' on the musical side of things (read music, not chords), but struggled on feel and tone most of the time. He did exactly as you said and people, well.... noticed.

I'll make sure to take your crucial advice next time though :tearsofjoy: :tonguewink:

Hey man, great recovery! Only the musicians, who were paying attention may have caught that.
Your willingness to share that says a lot. I Know a few guys, who would not have said a word, and are like whatever.
I guess they don't take it as serious as we do!

Yes, I felt effed and demented simultaneously so there's that lol. I'm learning a lot through this though on how I really have to balance my desire for a 'perfect solo' and allowing grace with the limited amount of practice for that solo I really had. It changed from what I did Saturday night to Sunday morning and should've mentally been a hint more prepared.

Glad I am not alone though ;) Great to have an FM3 again and I'm going super minimalist for most of my gigs with the rig and a single expression pedal.

Rock on crew 🤘

Thanks @Stratman68! Great band this weekend, loved the dynamics we had together!

I can totally relate to the amount of practice time!! We have 4 different W/L's and that means I have to learn the songs in up to 4 different keys. Yes I have been doing this for years. I never feel 100% solid on the solos because I use my eyes to set up where my hand plays.
It's weird. sometimes I hardly think about what I'm playing (solo part) and it goes great, other times I am thinking more about it and looking at my hand and BOOM, I mess up! I typically practice the songs on my own, 4-5 songs, about 3 hours a week. We usually get the songs on Monday for Thursday rehearsal. If I'm on 2 weeks or more in a row, I feel like I'm on the merry go round. They continually add new songs so no catching up!
But I love it!

Heck, make a repeating riff of the wrongness, work up the speed - then settle back into what you actually intended to play...

During a memorized solo, by brain 'blanks' for an instant, yet my muscle memory carries me through. It feels like driving and realizing for a moment you don't remember where you're going. Almost like your brain slipped briefly into subconsciousness.

I've been in that pocket as well before and I think it boils down to practice like Allen Iverson would say. I'll be honest, we went through the song a total of 5 times prior to playing and I should've spent a little more on the notes/frets to hit when descending the scale. #NextTime #WeTalkinAboutPracticeMan

200w.gif

Back
Top Bottom